• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated or AVR - Cinema 50, Onkyo, Other - Dirac, PreOuts

westonjazz

Hello all. I mostly listen to 2 channel stereo (Classical, Jazz and some rock). I need to drive my new Polk R700 speakers. My wants in an integrated amp or AVR are:

1. Dirac Live built in
2. Pre Outs to add external amp for more power
3. WiFi streaming (I only play music through Tidal, Apple Music and Spotify)
4. Enough power to drive my Polk R700s. Should have at least 100w into 8ohms
5. HDMI eArc
5. Price $1,500 - 2,000

I was looking initially at the Marantz 40N, but doesn't have enough power. I was leaning towards an AVR like the Marantz Cinema 50, which will be getting Dirac in March, or the Integra DRX 3.4. I was also looking at the Onkyo RZ50, but can't find it in stock where I am.

I looked at the Roksan Attessa Steaming Amp, but it doesn't have enough power and no Dirac.

Any suggestions?

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hello all. I mostly listen to 2 channel stereo (Classical, Jazz and some rock). I need to drive my new Polk R700 speakers. My wants in an integrated amp or AVR are:

1. Dirac Live built in
5. HDMI eArc
5. Price $1,500 - 2,000

I was looking initially at the Marantz 40N, but doesn't have enough power. I was leaning towards an AVR like the Marantz Cinema 50, which will be getting Dirac in March, or the Integra DRX 3.4. I was also looking at the Onkyo RZ50, but can't find it in stock where I am.

I looked at the Roksan Attessa Steaming Amp, but it doesn't have enough power and no Dirac.

Any suggestions?
I think your power beliefs maybe a bit exaggerated. Most of the time your music doesn’t even pass 8 watts. Second the only reason you would need such a massive reserve is if you’re in a huge room.

Furthermore current delivery is another factor, usually high power and poor current isn’t that great. In comparison to high current and 50 watts. That marantz assuming it’s like denon 110 integrated probably has high current.

My spaces are a tad small, 12x14 and 18x10 and 50 watts has always gotten me to just about as loud as I ever needed. Even in my living room which is 20x12 it’s good enough

OP
W

westonjazz

I think your power beliefs maybe a bit exaggerated. Most of the time your music doesn’t even pass 8 watts. Second the only reason you would need such a massive reserve is if you’re in a huge room.

Furthermore current delivery is another factor, usually high power and poor current isn’t that great. In comparison to high current and 50 watts. That marantz assuming it’s like denon 110 integrated probably has high current.

My spaces are a tad small, 12x14 and 18x10 and 50 watts has always gotten me to just about as loud as I ever needed. Even in my living room which is 20x12 it’s good enough
Thank you for your response. The Polk R700s will play just fine with lesser wattage amps I'm sure. However, to get the best out of them (they are little power hungry), I'd like to get something that is at least 100w. That being said, I could go lower on wattage, but I need an integrated that would have preouts if I wanted to add more power later.

I've been looking at the Marantz Cinema 50 and the Onkyo RZ50. However, Those are bit overkill for me as I mostly need a good amp for 2 channel listening. I don't mind the AVR features if they give me great sound.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Basically your only option would be an NAD unit. I believe the M33 checks off all the boxes

That’s 6k though. I see one for 3999, refurbished but will come with a 2 year warranty. That’s pretty killer deal

Maybe the m10 or another M model will have similar features at a lower price but you’re going to lose features.

CyBorek

1. Dirac Live built in
5. HDMI eArc
5. Price $1,500 - 2,000

Any suggestions?
What about Arcam SA30? 130W at 8Ohm, dirac, eARC HDMI. I was aiming for this one for my MA 500s 7G, but due to budget restrictions I went for Sabaj A30a (no hdmi and no dirac)

dorakeg

What about Arcam SA30? 130W at 8Ohm, dirac, eARC HDMI. I was aiming for this one for my MA 500s 7G, but due to budget restrictions I went for Sabaj A30a (no hdmi and no dirac)

The arcam SA30 definitely looks good.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your response. The Polk R700s will play just fine with lesser wattage amps I'm sure. However, to get the best out of them (they are little power hungry), I'd like to get something that is at least 100w. That being said, I could go lower on wattage, but I need an integrated that would have preouts if I wanted to add more power later.

I've been looking at the Marantz Cinema 50 and the Onkyo RZ50. However, Those are bit overkill for me as I mostly need a good amp for 2 channel listening. I don't mind the AVR features if they give me great sound.
Since it takes a doubling of power to gain merely 3dB spl advantage, get at least 400wpc for a significant difference.

Top Bottom