• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated DAC/preamp suggestions

klettermann

BACKGROUND
I'm now transitioning from separates to a 1-box (or fewer boxes) solution. I've got a very capable power amp (Levinson No. 332) so just looking at integrated DAC/preamps. Although the system in question is the "serious" audiophile setup, I'm in a BlueOS environment, so integration with that would be nice. I'm listening mostly to streaming but also occasional CD's and media server. MQA is of no value to me.

EQUIPMENT ON HAND
> Power amp and speakers
> Bluesound Node 2i
> Lumin U2 Mini
> Cambridge CD transport
Obviously the Node 2i and Lumin functionality overlaps. I could use both cause Node 2i provides BlueOS when I want that. But Lumin seems to sound better. The amp has balanced inputs, so balanced preamp outs are important (cable runs are pretty long).

WHAT TO GET NOW?
Given budget, the NAD M12 and Anthem STR Preamp would be obvious contenders. M12 is cheaper but lacks room correction. Cheaper still if it's without the BlueOS module that I don't need anyway. But it lacks room correction! Anybody have experience with M12 or STR or both? Are there other good alternatives out there at similar price point? Comments and suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks and cheers,

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Rotel RC 1590 MK2
Parasound P6
ELAC DDP-2
Benchmark DAC3L
Macintosh C49

No Room correction or Bluos. I‘d rather do room correction elsewhere rather than limit my choices. Bluos? Rather not hitch my audio future to NAD and its partners. You’ve got one Bluos device. Do you love it so much that all future audio purchases have to comply? I’m a Roon guy.

OP
K

klettermann

Rotel RC 1590 MK2
Parasound P6
ELAC DDP-2
Benchmark DAC3L
Macintosh C49

No Room correction or Bluos. I‘d rather do room correction elsewhere rather than limit my choices. Bluos? Rather not hitch my audio future to NAD and its partners. You’ve got one Bluos device. Do you love it so much that all future audio purchases have to comply? I’m a Roon guy.
Good suggestion, thanks. I'm evaluating....

Willem

Major Contributor
DSpeaker x2 if room correction is important
RME ADI-2 DAC if perfection and features other than room correction are important

drakee

Where would you do room correction if not in the preamp and if you do not want to restrict it to some selected inputs in the audio setup?

Would you put something like the DSpeaker x2 mentioned above between preamp and amp/active speakers?

rwortman

Forum Donor
Where would you do room correction if not in the preamp and if you do not want to restrict it to some selected inputs in the audio setup?

Would you put something like the DSpeaker x2 mentioned above between preamp and amp/active speakers?
There are many products for EQ/room correction that can go between amp and preamp. Many here like the MinDSP line of digital EQ boxes. I am a Roon user so I do want my external EQ only on certain inputs. I use Roon’s built in DSP for streaming and an inexpensive professional audio 32 band graphic EQ for other sources. My preamp powers up EQ for those sources and turns it off (it had relay bypass when it’s off) when streaming. Most people in here think I’m a Luddite for using analog EQ but it works well and sounds great to me.

drakee

There are many products for EQ/room correction that can go between amp and preamp. Many here like the MinDSP line of digital EQ boxes. I am a Roon user so I do want my external EQ only on certain inputs. I use Roon’s built in DSP for streaming and an inexpensive professional audio 32 band graphic EQ for other sources. My preamp powers up EQ for those sources and turns it off (it had relay bypass when it’s off) when streaming. Most people in here think I’m a Luddite for using analog EQ but it works well and sounds great to me.
Thank you! I am looking for a new preamp with room correction, DAC,streaming, and home theater bypass. The only such preamps that I've found are: NAD C658, Anthem STR, Trinnov Amethyst, Linn Selekt, Audionet DNC, and the MiniDSP SHD. And if I remove the exteremly expensive devices and the ones lacking a HT bypass from the list, then only the NAC C658 and the Anthem STR remain :-( That's why I was asking. So, maybe I have to combine devices, either as you do or by buying a preamp with tape monitor ins/outs (as I've learned, it seems that tape monitors can be used to insert a room correction device into the signal path).

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I'm in the same boat; the STR lacks streaming but easily solved with the Node or Wii. Also looking at the miniDSP SHD.
My experience with the STR preamp is overwhelmingly positive and if the cost is not prohibitive will likely be my choice.

Top Bottom