• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amps

Crane

Forum Donor
Anyone ever try integrated amps such PS Sprout100 or PeachTree for measurements and performance compared to the other dacs/amps?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Anyone ever try integrated amps such PS Sprout100 or PeachTree for measurements and performance compared to the other dacs/amps?

I remember reading somewhere the Sprout100 has a deliberate bass boost @70Hz designed to make small speakers sound "bigger" and "more solid." :rolleyes:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I like to test the Sprout...

Are you sure?

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-sprout-integrated-amplifier-measurements

1544992034056.png

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sprout strikes me as something similar to Schiit in receiving lots of subjective glowing reviews whilst more objective reviews are much less glowing. Although in fairness to PS the Sprout doesn't seem to be a safety hazard in the way some Schiit gear is.

BullBuchanan

I have an original sprout I picked up a couple of years ago for $250 second hand. I like to consider myself an audiophile, but admittedly, I wouldn't say I actually own any audiophile gear. Subjectively, I have zero complaints about the sprout. It's an extremely well built kit that has perfect usability on a desktop. What really sells this unit for me is that I'm often switching between my monitors and my headphones at my desk and simply unplugging the headphones kicks the audio over to the speakers.

In a world where we have $99 JDS Atoms that essentially offer perfect headphone amplification for pennies, there doesn't seem to be anything comparable in the integrated desktop world - maybe even at any price. To me, it sounds pretty great, but then again, I like all of the gear that I have. That said, I've never actually been able to listen to truly high end or audiophile grade gear to understand if I'm missing something. Is the 70hz hump and subsequent rolloff negatively impacting the sound of my HE-4XX/AD200x headphones? I don't know. Is it negatively impacting my JamoS60 bookshelf speakers that serve as nearfield monitors? Less likely. Is noise worsening the sound quality? Not in a way I can tell, but then again I don't have much to compare it to.

I'd love to buy the atom to compare, but the hassle of switching sound outputs in a dozen places within my OS every time I want to switch between headphones and speakers just seems like a nightmare. Is there a small form integrated USB amp like the sprout that offers same class performance of the JDS Atom or THX 789?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
not many regular speakers will resolve/play 70Hz. It is subwoofer territory.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

That makes me wonder:

What passes for "a regular speaker" nowadays?

BullBuchanan

Mine do. Also worth mentioning that the 70hz bump has a Q, so it affects more than that, AND it apparently applies to the headphone jack for some reason.

Top Bottom