• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amplifier vs Preamplifier

maxp779

Which would likely be the better buy here? I ask because a lot of integrated amps have a pre out and can function as a pre amp. And the price of pre amps is a bit ridiculous. They tend to be either the same or more expensive than an integrated.

For example I could get a NAD 3020v2 amp for around £300. Or a Pro-ject S2 Digital preamp for around the same price. There's also cheap used integrateds on eBay which would do the job. Theres a nice Rotel rc 1572 but it's £600 and that's used :O new these things are £900ish.

Are there any actual pros to a dedicated pre amp? It's hard to see the value in them.

Zek

Major Contributor
It depends on the implementation, not every preamp in an integrated amplifier is as good as a stand-alone preamp.

wasnotwasnotwas

Which would likely be the better buy here? I ask because a lot of integrated amps have a pre out and can function as a pre amp. And the price of pre amps is a bit ridiculous. They tend to be either the same or more expensive than an integrated.

For example I could get a NAD 3020v2 amp for around £300. Or a Pro-ject S2 Digital preamp for around the same price. There's also cheap used integrateds on eBay which would do the job. Theres a nice Rotel rc 1572 but it's £600 and that's used :O new these things are £900ish.

Are there any actual pros to a dedicated pre amp? It's hard to see the value in them.

The definition of pre amp seems to be a little too broad these days.

Which functions do you need? Multiple inputs or simply the ability to volume control a fixed output source before a power amp?

Separate question to the forum generally as well. Would a passive multiple in, single out switcher plus a well measuring head amp with pre out (eg Topping L30) be as effective as a "proper" pre amp?

Last edited:
OP
M

maxp779

The definition of pre amp seems to be a little too broad these days.

Which functions do you need? Multiple inputs or simply the ability to volume control a fixed output source before a power amp?

Separate question to the forum gently as well. Would a passive multiple in, single out switcher plus a well measuring head amp with pre out (eg Topping L30) be as effective as a "proper" pre amp?

Volume control and a remote control. That's pretty much it. A DAC is nice but unnecessary. Balanced out is also nice but again unnecessary.

Any kind of safe volume setting as well is a big bonus. I.e can set volume to be 30% when it turns on regardless of what it was before. And specifying a maximum volume level. I saw a Rotel amp which had these settings, I don't know if they're common or not though since I typically go for basic amp's with no screen or digital inputs etc.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Minidsp shd is a great preamp for its price, performance and features. The software isnt as good as NAD bluos though from what I’ve seen of the NAD.

wje

Forum Donor
I've been using my IOTAVX SA3 as a pre-amplifier for the past several months. I have the Bluesound Node 2i as my source. I've tried a few DACs in between the Bluesound and the IOTAVX with improvements in sound (to my ears). However, the SA3 as an integrated amplifier with the 45 WPC was a bit anemic for power and sound. Using it as a preamp with better amplifiers (McIntosh MC-402, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Denon POA 1500, etc.), I've been really enjoying the sound. I'm quite sure I couldn't find a preamplifier for $500 - $525 (US $) that could perform on this level and realize I would most likely have to go up to the $1,800 - $2,000 range for a preamplifier to get into a product that could provide an improvement in sound. The only negative that I've experienced in using the built-in DAC on the SA3 as opposed to the DAC in my Bluesound Node 2i or even a stand-alone DAC, is that the SA3 internal DAC will cut-out between tracks when streaming my music. I don't lose any sound, but I do hear some clicks with the switching during the gaps between the tracks.

Top Bottom