• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Integrated?) Amplifier suggestions for Revel F206

mackat

Forum Donor
Hi,

I got a pair of Revel F206's a few months ago, and I find myself wanting to try out a new amp. I currently have an Exposure 3010S integrated, which I bought about a year and a half ago because someone recommended it to me. It's a nice amp, but I'm not sure that it's exactly what these speakers need. I'm more of a headphone guy, so I feel more than a bit lost in the realm of speakers and amplifiers. Before the Exposure, I was using a Marantz 2275. If I had a lot of money, I'd take a look at something like a Benchmark AHB2 and an equally nice preamp, but alas, that is not the case.

I just want something (new or used, more likely the latter) that is well designed, well built, reliable, has a remote-controlled volume control, and is somewhere in the $1k range. I have been looking at a Sony TA-F808ES, which are quite hard to find with wooden sides in the US, or a Japanese-market counterpart such as a TA-F555ESL. I am open to any possible suggestions, though, and would be very appreciative if you have any.

Thanks,
Ben

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is difficult to recommend a integrated when you are thinking of the Sony TA-F808ES and the TA-F555ESL (also here) because those are pinnacles of integrated amps around the price range you desire.

The Exposure 3010S is a nice integrated. Are you using EQ/PEQ?

OP
M

mackat

Forum Donor
It is difficult to recommend a integrated when you are thinking of the Sony TA-F808ES and the TA-F555ESL (also here) because those are pinnacles of integrated amps around the price range you desire.

The Exposure 3010S is a nice integrated. Are you using EQ/PEQ?
Thanks for the reply! I think this just further confirms that I’m in the right place looking at the Sonys. I am partial to Japanese vintage audio (well, these aren’t that vintage, but…), so it would make sense. There is a seller on Yahoo Japan that has been listing some very nice F555ESL’s (among other models) every few weeks. I should probably go for one before they run out. I have bought a number of turntables from Japan, mostly without incident, but I do get a bit worried having a giant, heavy integrated shipped that far. It’s too bad F808ES’s aren’t more common in North America.

I do like the 3010S. I can’t say I really have any complaints about it besides some oxidation in the source selector switch that Deoxit didn’t fully take care of. I’m not using EQ, I have experimented with it a bit on headphones, but not much with speakers. I do need to look more into speaker placement and simple room treatment options as well, but I find that stuff somewhat tedious.

I do both digital (Roon) and analog (turntable) listening.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you using Windows, Mac or Linux for your PC?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

mackat

Forum Donor
ASR has a comprehensive list of EQ/PEQ stuff.
The recommended PEQ for Mac is this.

The PEQ will be the biggest change to your system other than changing the speakers.
If you want to get technical about PEQ and room acoustics there is REW for Mac for mic'ing the room and calibrating the PEQ.
The REW software is free and mic costs ~USD $80.00

It would be a shame to leave the improvement of PEQ on the table unused.
Thanks a lot for the info, I will have to dig deeper into this stuff when I have some time. Since I use Roon, I believe that should work for PEQ, right? I have input EQ settings for headphones through it. The room acoustics software/microphone system does seem pretty interesting.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for the info, I will have to dig deeper into this stuff when I have some time. Since I use Roon, I believe that should work for PEQ, right? I have input EQ settings for headphones through it. The room acoustics software/microphone system does seem pretty interesting.
Roon has a excellent PEQ. Yes, REW and the miniDSP mic are nice pieces of gear. Everybody that has used REW to set up their PEQ has been surprised at the change. There are many peeps here using REW and so there is the possibility of getting suggestions and tips about it.

OP
M

mackat

Forum Donor
After doing some more research, I am considering going a different route. Shipping costs from Japan have increased a lot and 30 year old integrated amps always have the potential for issues, even ones sold by this one seller who seems to have very nice units.

I have been looking into some of the Class D options. Something like this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...reo-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-14278.html paired with a Schiit Saga S

or this: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-13545.html

paired with a Saga S or Freya S would likely do quite a decent job, right?

Top Bottom