• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

integrated amplifier for 2 thousand dollars

HCT-5808

Any updates a year in?
My integrated just crapped out.
It’s worth repairing but I need a stand in.
I like the SHD power, but my turntable is left out.
need 100 watts plus
Usb and optical in
Phono or analog in
WiFi streaming would be nice but I have a pc input (usb)
I have separate usb and optical DACs now.
Remote.
Yamaha A-S801? Doesn't do streaming. But does everything else on your list.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May be worth tracking down measurements for the Denon PMA-1600NE. Ticks most of your boxes I think, I can’t find objective reviews of it though.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
May be worth tracking down measurements for the Denon PMA-1600NE. Ticks most of your boxes I think, I can’t find objective reviews of it though.
The Denon only has output power 8 Ohm (20 Hz - 20 kHz, T.H.D. 0.07%)@70 W. Not a lot of power for ~$2000 USD.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon only has output power 8 Ohm (20 Hz - 20 kHz, T.H.D. 0.07%)@70 W. Not a lot of power for ~$2000 USD.

Very true, and I haven’t been able to find proper measurements so only recommending it goes onto a list to investigate. If it turns out to have been conservatively rated it may be of interest. Performance aside I haven’t seen much at this price point with everything in one box. Also ( and I say this as the owner of a purifi in an aluminium box amplifier) the overall product execution of the Denon makes even the best small class d module assembler offerings look like DIY.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very true, and I haven’t been able to find proper measurements so only recommending it goes onto a list to investigate. If it turns out to have been conservatively rated it may be of interest. Performance aside I haven’t seen much at this price point with everything in one box. Also ( and I say this as the owner of a purifi in an aluminium box amplifier) the overall product execution of the Denon makes even the best small class d module assembler offerings look like DIY.
Yes, I agree the Denon hits the checkmarks in the looks dept and it's layout.
It's +/_~51 volts at the unloaded rails according to the service manual. At 70W/ch@8R the rails would sag down to ~+/-33.5V. That's a lotta sag but it's also a lotta voltage for a 70 watt integrated. I am interested in seeing a proper test too. It likely has more than 70watts/ch@8R.
Denon PMA 1600NE.png

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am interested in seeing a proper test too.
Me too actually... have been interested in the newer Denon integrated amps for some time. There only seems to be AVR measurements here and elsewhere. Most interested to see how the internal DAC performs etc.

JSmith

cecelo01

I have the Denon PMA 2000 IVR on my second system. Do not worry! He has a lot of current, a lot of strength. Robust integrated that has no problems with more demanding boxes.

20211015_202414.jpg

20211017_212942.jpg

Watch the video below and have changed their minds.

WRMS is not the most important thing to determine the current of a power source. Other aspects and characteristics are more specific.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Denon PMA 2000 IVR on my second system. Do not worry! He has a lot of current, a lot of strength. Robust integrated that has no problems with more demanding boxes.

View attachment 166638

View attachment 166639

Watch the video below and have changed their minds.

WRMS is not the most important thing to determine the current of a power source. Other aspects and characteristics are more specific.

This is the 3rd time I've done this today. :facepalm: I'm getting faster each time. :D
1637337340407.png

denon 2.png

Rails when amp is quiescent @ +/- 59V DC.

@8Ω load the rails are @~35.8V DC and the amp outputs ~4.5A peak per channel.
@4Ω load the rails are @~35.8V DC and the amp outputs ~9A peak per channel.

It's uncommon that the loaded rail voltage is the same for 4Ω and 8Ω loads. That's a good thing that your amp can do this.
The amp has lots of headroom at lower power output levels with that +/- 59V DC supply. That's good too. :D

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be contrarian for a second, why not a Denon AVR-X3600H? Or X3700H if you want to add more than two external power amps later?

Yes, you are only going to use two channels to start. But perhaps with it only driving two, the transformer and PS won't in use seem undersized.

But if you are unhappy with the internal amps, you run it as a preamp and add power amps instead.

You also get Audessey xt32..

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3600h-av-receiver-review.12676/
+1
I second this.. AVR such as the Denon -3600H or 3700 are formidable units. capable of sophisticated, quasi-transparent signal processing and routing.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be contrarian for a second, why not a Denon AVR-X3600H? Or X3700H if you want to add more than two external power amps later?
It took just 18 posts until the inevitable answer arrived...

Leif

for me the most important thing is a minimum of distortion at all volume levels, even at the lowest. at the same time, the power must be sufficient to bang where it is necessary. slew rate is also important. this is a very important parameter and an important dimension. on the stereophile, few amplifiers had a truly rectangular pulse. thanks for the links to the March Audio measurements.

My understanding is that having a perfect square wave is unimportant. A square wave is a Fourier sum of sine or cosine waves. All that is needed for it to sound correct is to include the waves that are audible. Leaving out higher order waves leads to a square wave with ringing and non vertical sides. Do please comment if you have evidence to the contrary.

Top Bottom