• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

integrated amplifier for 2 thousand dollars

Geert

Major Contributor
Atoll and Rotel amplifiers have higher distortion at volume up to 1W than even the Hegel.
I have the Atoll IN200 Signature (with DAC) and I really like it. Where did you find distortion figures?

OP
Leo Tos

Leo Tos

Panelhead

Forum Donor
There are a LOT great options.
I looked at low power performance to see what measured best at 50 - 300 mW. The Purifi based units looked great. The Orchard BOSC maybe a little better. At least with low power output levels.
The Denafrips Hyperion looks good if Class AB is a priority. Class AB gets my vote, wider bandwidth. My current amps are are listed as -0.5 dB at 100Khz. I think extended top end is a good thing.
Just like 0.000X% THD + N levels you cannot hear the higher bandwidth. Just if you are spending your own money, pick what clicks your boxes.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mention good slew rate, but is that still an issue in amp design?

Neale

At this "level of clarity" on the requirement, I would strongly recommend a DAC with volume control (which can be quite small in foot print if space is an issue) and a separate power amp rather than an integrated.

^^ agree with this, but wish there were more DACs available with an analog input or two; have asked about this in a separate ASR thread

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
slew rate is also important. this is a very important parameter and an important dimension. on the stereophile, few amplifiers had a truly rectangular pulse.

You will open up a huge can of worms with this requirement. If you want a perfect square wave, you will rule out any and all Class D amplifiers and by doing so, the superior performance aspects that class of amplifier can deliver.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You will open up a huge can of worms with this requirement. If you want a perfect square wave, you will rule out any and all Class D amplifiers and by doing so, the superior performance aspects that class of amplifier can deliver.

You can still get a pretty good one. This was taken with a 1.2mHz bandwidth- if I had taken it down to a 192k sample rate, the 150-180 mV of ultrasonic noise would vanish.

Purifi Square Wave 8R.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You can still get a pretty good one.

2KHz square, rise time of roughly 10uS so a ~100KHz bandwidth? Is that one of these GaN FET Bosc amplifiers?

That's the analogue generator's square wave on the AP?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
No on both counts. That's the Purifi. And the "regular" square wave on the AP (I use a 525, which doesn't have an analog square wave output).

Here's the BOSC; more ultrasonic noise (700mV or so), but at a higher frequency:

Orchard BOSC Square Wave.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Here's the BOSC; more ultrasonic noise (700mV or so), but at a higher frequency

Pavel will be here soon, you know he will... ;)

And how do they look at large signal levels (above 2W)?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I use a 525, which doesn't have an analog square wave output

I thought you had a 555 as well? I had hoped AP would let you keep it, you know, for singing its praises and all.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Pavel will be here soon, you know he will... ;)

And how do they look at large signal levels (above 2W)?

Cool, I like him, but he's committed to old-fashioned amp design. I'm not, but admittedly I can't design Class D stuff at the level that I can do solid state or tubes.

Everything looks pretty much the same at higher levels and with my simulated speaker dummy load, other than the ultrasonics from the amp switching are proportionately smaller.

Darvis

If you’re not set on an integrated:
MiniDSP SHD $1200
March Audio P122 or P252 currently $652.50 and $805.50 respectively
Gives you everything you asked for plus Dirac room correction and streaming.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/sh...MI7s-j2OLy6gIVS7LICh3hnwWDEAAYASAAEgJBYfD_BwE
https://www.marchaudio.net.au/
That's the perfect answer/solution IMHO. I don't understand why someone would avoid dirac if one has the budget for it. We spend hours and hours discussing and analyzing minuscule SQ differences between amps, and there lies a technology that obliterates those differences to bring this whole hobby to another level.

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I have to agree. Swapped backward to an old dac with Room Perfect. The DRC really has a positive effect on my speakers and room.
The dac has lower specs and measurements than the dac it replaced , yet made an noticeable change.
To me it showed that in some applications DRC is better than having SOTA performance.

jrampoldi

FYI, the Hegel H90s are down to $1,400 at Dedicated Audio or Safe and Sound. This is due to the arrival of the H95.

Last edited:

Lavawood

Forum Donor
Any updates a year in?
My integrated just crapped out.
It’s worth repairing but I need a stand in.
I like the SHD power, but my turntable is left out.
need 100 watts plus
Usb and optical in
Phono or analog in
WiFi streaming would be nice but I have a pc input (usb)
I have separate usb and optical DACs now.
Remote.

Top Bottom