• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

integrated amplifier for 2 thousand dollars

Hello! I read your site for a long time, I decided to register myself and ask a question. I need help choosing an integrated amplifier in the price range up to 2 thousand dollars. The requirements are simple: 100 watts into 8 ohms and low THD. So far I have selected Hegel h120 and Nad c388 for myself. I would be glad if you share your opinion and suggest the best options. (I have 3-way DIY speakers on Scan-Speak Revelator.) Thank you!

CDMC

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Matias

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Technical Expert
Technical Expert
Hello! I read your site for a long time, I decided to register myself and ask a question. I need help choosing an integrated amplifier in the price range up to 2 thousand dollars. The requirements are simple: 100 watts into 8 ohms and low THD. So far I have selected Hegel h120 and Nad c388 for myself. I would be glad if you share your opinion and suggest the best options. (I have 3-way DIY speakers on Scan-Speak Revelator.) Thank you!
Check out the new offering from Orchard. More power than you need, low distortion.

CDMC

Forum Donor
If you’re not set on an integrated:
MiniDSP SHD $1200
March Audio P122 or P252 currently $652.50 and $805.50 respectively
Gives you everything you asked for plus Dirac room correction and streaming.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/sh...MI7s-j2OLy6gIVS7LICh3hnwWDEAAYASAAEgJBYfD_BwE
https://www.marchaudio.net.au/
This or swapping out the minidsp for a RME ADI-2 FS would be my choice. I skip the P122 and get the P252, as a bit of extra headroom never hurts and covers if a change to less efficient speakers Happens down the road.

Archsam

franspambot

Forum Donor
I owned a Hegel Rost and was disappointed with it. I believe that their "lower level" units (a big HA! to this given their price point) do not do well at lower impedances. My speakers go down to 3.2ohms and there was a significant difference when I switched to a Benchmark AHB2. Now the latter may be the best amplifier in the world, but the difference in sound should not have been that dramatic. I also have a NC252MP-based amplifier, and the difference remained. Honestly, I never bothered to compare the latter two as I heard no significant differences between them and the fact that measurements really do put you at ease with these sorts of things. Peace of mind is why I was happy to donate to this site. Not giving a shit about differences in the inaudible realm is something to be appreciative of when you have obsessed over and spent thousands on audio gear over the span of a decade and a half.

Basically, I tried very hard to keep the Hegel because I love the aesthetics of it and the idea of having one unit. But it really is such a waste of money when you can have what is absolutely high-end for much less money.

The recommendations here are great.

If I wanted an all in one, I would take a chance on the Nord mentioned above.

Otherwise, I recommend you do what I did with my systems more or less and get a NC252MP-based amp (the March Audio is a few hundred more than others, but it is far and away the best amplifier made with this component engineering wise) and either the RME ADI-2 FS or the miniDSP SHD (or miniSHD Studio if you don't need analog-in). With the last two you get better DSP and streaming.

I myself have a miniDSP SHD because I have a phono pre going into it. Knowing what we know now (thanks to places such as ASR), DSP or EQ ability (which the RME has) should be considered essential for a proper home system.

Edit: Someone may want to check to see if Amir has a MiniDSP SHD Power in for review. It would be worth waiting for that review if he does.

Edit 2: At this point, knowing what I know now, I would personally never buy any component that has not been robustly measured. If a company wants me to buy their products, they have to provide me with usable measurements--not the intentionally vague figures they usually provide--or send one in for review.

Last edited:
OP
Leo Tos
Thread Starter #12
Atoll and Rotel amplifiers have higher distortion at volume up to 1W than even the Hegel. I will look for graphs of measurements of March Audio and Nord. I haven't thought about DSP yet, I have an internal crossover in the speakers. Perhaps in the future I will switch to DSP.

OP
Leo Tos
Thread Starter #13
there is a Polish site https://audio.com.pl/
In the Hi-Fi Test section there are many graphs of measurements of audio equipment. This site helped me to discard very bad options. maybe it will be interesting to someone.

Vasr

"Integrated" varies a lot on what that includes. Your requirements don't say anything about that part. So, as expected, it will become a laundry list of anything integrated anybody likes.

Digital input? How many? Your selection implies yes
Streamers inside?
WiFi ability?
Analog input? How many? Phono?
XLR inputs needed?
Need a crossover to sub output?
Need a trigger input?
Need HT bypass?
Need a remote?
Need room EQ? Or a monitor out to include EQ chain?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
miniDSP SHD Power is high on my list ... Provides a lot for $1500... Can be center of a top flight system , assuming its performance is in line with the SHD Studio.

franspambot

Forum Donor
Atoll and Rotel amplifiers have higher distortion at volume up to 1W than even the Hegel. I will look for graphs of measurements of March Audio and Nord. I haven't thought about DSP yet, I have an internal crossover in the speakers. Perhaps in the future I will switch to DSP.
While the March Audio NC252MP-based amp has not been measured here, the P122 has, so confidence in the brand is there. I would highly recommended getting the higher powered P252 for reasons already mentioned. However, here are measurements for two NC252MP-based amplifiers:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-measurements-of-iom-ncore-pro-pwr-amp.8979/
I fully expect the March Audio version to be at least 2dB higher in its SINAD rating. The thread should give you the reasons why.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2020/01/measurements-hypex-ncore-nc252mp.html
I fully expect the March Audio version to equal this. These measurements are world class. Again, the March Audio version is the best made version of this type of amplifier--but I expect the better ones to equal this in terms of specs.

I myself put together the same kit that Archimago did--but this is no longer possible to do, unfortunately, as you can't get the modules anymore.

Cahudson42

To be contrarian for a second, why not a Denon AVR-X3600H? Or X3700H if you want to add more than two external power amps later?

Yes, you are only going to use two channels to start. But perhaps with it only driving two, the transformer and PS won't in use seem undersized.

But if you are unhappy with the internal amps, you run it as a preamp and add power amps instead.

You also get Audessey xt32..

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3600h-av-receiver-review.12676/

Last edited:
OP
Leo Tos
Thread Starter #20
"Integrated" varies a lot on what that includes. Your requirements don't say anything about that part. So, as expected, it will become a laundry list of anything integrated anybody likes.

Digital input? How many? Your selection implies yes
Streamers inside?
WiFi ability?
Analog input? How many? Phono?
XLR inputs needed?
Need a crossover to sub output?
Need a trigger input?
Need HT bypass?
Need a remote?
Need room EQ? Or a monitor out to include EQ chain?
I don't have big requirements for an amplifier. in the classical sense, an integrated amplifier is a preamplifier and a power amplifier assembled on one chassis. further there are nuances. of course it would be nice to have a coaxial input, bluetooth, etc., but the main thing is gain and a volume control knob

Top Bottom