• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amplifier choice for single source use case

rhz

I'm considering some integrated amplifiers (NAD 316bee v2, Emotiva TA-100, Cambridge Audio AXA 35) as part of a new system. The only source I will likely ever use is a DAC. I would listen through speakers or possibly through headphones. So, while tone controls are nice and a headphone jack is important, there are other features in these amps I would never take advantage of (e.g., phone input).

Should my use case here should affect my choice of amplifier? In other words, for the $350-$450 I'd be spending, are there amps out there that make tradeoffs more favorable to my situation (i.e., noticeably better sound quality in exchange for not supporting multiple input sources)?

The simplest form of an integrated amp is a single analog input, dual analog output power amp with a potentiometer to adjust output levels.

Ignoring the headphone output, you might consider simply buying the best power amp you can afford and using the DAC to control volume, thereby eliminating the need for volume control on the amp itself.

If you must have a headphone output, you are most likely restricted to integrated amps like you’ve described. Those typically offer more than simply a HP output and stereo analog out. The other option is buying a power amp and also a pre-amp/processor with HP out, although this would likely cost 2x the other options.

OP
R

rhz

Has your DAC a volume control?
It's the fiio e10k--a DAC/amp combo. There's a volume control but that controls the volume at the headphone jack output. There's a line out which is unaffected by the volume knob.

OP
R

rhz

The simplest form of an integrated amp is a single analog input, dual analog output power amp with a potentiometer to adjust output levels.

Ignoring the headphone output, you might consider simply buying the best power amp you can afford and using the DAC to control volume, thereby eliminating the need for volume control on the amp itself.

If you must have a headphone output, you are most likely restricted to integrated amps like you’ve described. Those typically offer more than simply a HP output and stereo analog out. The other option is buying a power amp and also a pre-amp/processor with HP out, although this would likely cost 2x the other options.
That's an interesting idea. What does HP stand for? I'm also not sure how important tone controls would be. Perhaps that can be handled digitally prior to the DAC input....

That's an interesting idea. What does HP stand for? I'm also not sure how important tone controls would be. Perhaps that can be handled digitally prior to the DAC input....

HP == headphone

If I were you, I’d look very closely at either a dual mono or stereo Purifi amp as offered by @March Audio

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should my use case here should affect my choice of amplifier?

I think so. Try to find specs on the headphone output and in particular, output impedance, because sometimes the feature gets tacked on as an afterthought, and you probably don't want the headphone jack wired to the main amplifier outputs via series resistors, for example.

OP
R

rhz

Thanks for the responses. Do any of you have an opinion on the Emotiva A100 power amp? It's got a volume control and a headphone output (I'm using HD6xx headphones).

OP
R

rhz

I think so. Try to find specs on the headphone output and in particular, output impedance, because sometimes the feature gets tacked on as an afterthought, and you probably don't want the headphone jack wired to the main amplifier outputs via series resistors, for example.
Was thinking about the Emotiva A-100. It appears to have two modes for headphone use: one where there's some resistor off the speaker amp (if I understand correctly) and another where the full speaker amp signal is directed to the headphones! This is said to be good for hard to drive headphones. I know that the HD6xx are pretty high impedance, but I don't listen to very loud music....

Top Bottom