• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amp Sabaj A30a after almost 5 months of use

Ducnguyen2k10

6ac5a6efb8bff2071f86174d971e5b36.jpg
Continue with my previous post about the Sabaj A30 - an integrated amp from China, I would like to share my experience after 5 months of use.
But first of all, I would like to assure the readers of this post that I am not at position of getting any money or promotion reward from the company who made this amp. Not single cent.

This amp is really good amp, one of the best. It drives my Pioneer S-A7-2 (93dB sensitivity) extremely well. I also paired this amp with my friend's speakers, Scansonic MB-3.5 (89dB sensitivity) very well.
I love the intuitive amp settings with screen big enough to see from 1.5m distance. The filters are very well made and there are more than enough that can fit your tastes easily without have to break your bank. For my case, I love the sound of Soft Rock with Bass at -1dB and Treble at -1dB. Little bit dry but it fits my tastes and my speaker very well.
There's a fan at the bottom, but don't worry, you cannot hear the fan spinning at all.

So I would like to recommend this integrated amp to every of you. It has everything you need except streamer function for music streaming (which can easily can be achieve by additional $100-300 streamer). For my case, I use a BeagleBone to stream Tidal thru Tidal Connect and Apple Music thru Airplay 2. You'll have complete setup for under $1000. It's a steal deal.

For anyone who's curious about how my system sounds with this amp, please check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@tadashop-vnmyphamcaocapnha9656

Last edited:

GiBo61

Thanks for your feedback. I also own a Sabaj A30a and I'm VERY happy with it. Just a question: how do you know that the Soft Rock filter sets the Bass at -1dB and Treble at -1dB? There are tons of filters but I did not find any info about their specific settings in terms of increase or decrease of bass and treble. Thanks.

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

Thanks for your feedback. I also own a Sabaj A30a and I'm VERY happy with it. Just a question: how do you know that the Soft Rock filter sets the Bass at -1dB and Treble at -1dB? There are tons of filters but I did not find any info about their specific settings in terms of increase or decrease of bass and treble. Thanks.
Maybe misunderstood. I set the filter to Soft Rock, then I adjust Bass to -1 and Treble to -1.
I think these filters presets based on standards, in which SMSL DAC also using. However, it does not much matter since the final results always depend much on your speakers and room acoustics. So, just choose the filter and adjust Tone control until you achieve the sound that you like the best.
And it’s also normal to change the filter when listen to different genre so to achieve the best out of the system!
D10808DA-B8F6-44DC-BDB6-692B1238F85D.png

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

We can't judge the audio quality on YouTube...anyway the sound will come out of our device.
Absolutely agree! So many variables come into play and you actually hearing the sound come from your own speakers/headphones.

GiBo61

Hi,
I come back to you about the volume problem of the subwoofer output of the A30a.

I hadn't noticed this problem before. With pop rock or electronic music, when I turned the volume up really loud, the bass that came out was perfect for me, because I like the extra power in the bass.

But today, listening to a recording of a piano concerto, the problem came out clearly and unequivocally. Indeed, as mentioned by many here, at low volume the bass is very quiet and even set back, but as soon as I raise the volume to a level that is a little more realistic, but much less loud than live in a concert hall, the bass clearly takes over, it gives the feeling as if the loudness is ON.

For me this is not acceptable and especially since there is a programmable DSP. My opinion is that if Sabaj does not give feedback here, it is not because they are not able to correct it, but rather because the Sabaj company has decided to no longer invest in this model.

It is all the more unfortunate that if their products are selling well, it is partly thanks to the members and readers of the ASR forum.

I will write to Sabaj and ask them if they intend to fix this bug, and if so when will they produce a new version.

On the other hand, if I do not have a return from them, I will not be able to buy products from them.
I do not understand. Your problem seems the opposite of the one described in https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sabaj-a30a-announced.35714/post-1450428

GiBo61

Hi,
I come back to you about the volume problem of the subwoofer output of the A30a.

I hadn't noticed this problem before. With pop rock or electronic music, when I turned the volume up really loud, the bass that came out was perfect for me, because I like the extra power in the bass.

But today, listening to a recording of a piano concerto, the problem came out clearly and unequivocally. Indeed, as mentioned by many here, at low volume the bass is very quiet and even set back, but as soon as I raise the volume to a level that is a little more realistic, but much less loud than live in a concert hall, the bass clearly takes over, it gives the feeling as if the loudness is ON.

For me this is not acceptable and especially since there is a programmable DSP. My opinion is that if Sabaj does not give feedback here, it is not because they are not able to correct it, but rather because the Sabaj company has decided to no longer invest in this model.

It is all the more unfortunate that if their products are selling well, it is partly thanks to the members and readers of the ASR forum.

I will write to Sabaj and ask them if they intend to fix this bug, and if so when will they produce a new version.

On the other hand, if I do not have a return from them, I will not be able to buy products from them.
Also this user reports the opposite problem you mention https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sabaj-a30a-announced.35714/post-1446454

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

As I explained, with pop/rock or electronic music, the problem does not appear or less because with these kinds of music, I never have too much bass for my taste. It was with quality recordings of classical music that the problem became obvious to me. I will continue my tests and if I am wrong, I will tell you. But I don't regret having bought the A30a, I love the sound and the capabilities of this amplifier, on the other hand I find it disappointing that Sabaj through his representative does not give any sign of life.
So sorry to hear about your issue! I actually don’t use sub because my floorstanding speakers already output enough bass for me! In your case, I think you should open up a new topic to see if anybody can help or have similar issue! Good luck!

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

You just have to go back a few pages and others have complained. It is the representative of Sabaj who started this thread and he could not give an answer to update a new firmware which will correct the problem.
I can see Sabaj A30a has already have firmware update fix for your mentioned issue! Have you tried the firmware update?

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can see Sabaj A30a has already have firmware update fix for your mentioned issue! Have you tried the firmware update?
Already installed like the others here who complained about the subwoofer output volume issue.

Sorry I just realized I wasn't in the original A30a thread, I'll ask to delete those posts and move them.

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

Already installed like the others here who complained about the subwoofer output volume issue.

Sorry I just realized I wasn't in the original A30a thread, I'll ask to delete those posts and move them.
So has the firmware update solved the amp issue?

ModDIY

No, I don't have the list in front of me, he corrected among other things (with others) a problem with the main volume which was not linear.

OP
D

Ducnguyen2k10

No, I don't have the list in front of me, he corrected among other things (with others) a problem with the main volume which was not linear.
So I suggest to check for Support on Sabaj website. I saw the new firmware addressed and fix the sub vol output as well!

GiBo61

The fact is that al least two users report the the subwoofer level is too low at high volume, ModDIY here reports just the opposite. I do not see how a firmware update can fix the problem and make everybody happy. I'm wondering if in the case the speakers and the sw volume curves really differ, users with speakers with different efficiency are affected in different way by the problem.
I also suggest to continue the discussion in the main Sabaj A30a thread, I believe this one is followed by a limited number of A30a users and maybe is less likely to be seen by Sabaj engineers.

Last edited:

ModDIY

The fact is that al least two users report the the subwoofer level is too low at high volume, ModDIY here reports just the opposite. I do not see how a firmware update can fix the problem and make everybody happy. I'm wondering if in the case the speakers and the sw volume curves really differ, users with speakers with different efficiency are affected in different way by the problem.
I also suggest to continue the discussion in the main Sabaj A30a thread, I believe this one is followed by a limited number of A30a users and maybe is less likely to be seen by Sabaj engineers.
You have a good point. I moved my post to the other thread and deleted the previous one at the top. It's my fault, I thought they had the same problem, indeed if they have a problem from low level to high volume, it is not my case. I will rectify the situation and push my tests. Thank you for your comment.

Top Bottom