• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated 2.1 DAC+Amplifier for PC desktop usage, with no hiss

SeanTek

Can I get recommendations on what integrated 2.1 DAC+Amplifier I should buy for PC desktop usage, with no audible speaker hiss?

On my other thread in the speaker category, I asked about finding a 2.1 powered speaker setup with no hiss for near-field listening with a PC. Thus far the recommendations are to go with studio monitors, or maybe a couple of higher-end consumer speakers.

So I thought to take a different tack, namely, to try to match passive speakers with a high-quality single-purpose DAC+amp with USB Audio Class 2.0 support. The requirements are:
  • no idle hiss when powered on: must not hear any audible hiss beyond 8" from the speaker
  • USB Audio Class 2.0 input
  • 24-bit/192kHz PCM minimum; DSD optional; no MQA
  • reasonable 2-channel stereo amplification for passive speakers on computer desk (price/quality range: Audioengine P6 = $249/pair, to KEF LS50 Meta = $1599/pair; probably going to get speakers in the $400-600/pair range)
  • RCA subwoofer out
A brief search turned up the Cambridge Audio CXA61 ($599). It meets all the specs, but also has many unnecessary features, such as multiple analog inputs and Bluetooth support. I also found the SMSL AD18 ($144), which lacks subwoofer out. All I want is USB in, powered speakers out, and subwoofer line out.

I looked on some manufacturers' websites like Topping, SMSL, but it is hard to find the right product. Basically I think I am looking for an "integrated stereo amplifier" (but without multiple inputs), and I do not care about headphone support. What should I be looking for?

staticV3

Master Contributor
All I want is USB in, powered speakers out, and subwoofer line out.
SMSL A100/A300, AO200, SA300
Loxjie A30
Sabaj A30a, A4

The requirements are:
  • no idle hiss when powered on: must not hear any audible hiss beyond 8" from the speaker
That is a function of both the Amp's output noise, and the speakers' sensitivity. Since the latter is still up in the air, it's impossible to say "This Amp doesn't hiss, this Amp has hiss"

Digby

Major Contributor
SMSL A100/A300, AO200, SA300
Loxjie A30
Sabaj A30a, A4

That is a function of both the Amp's output noise, and the speakers' sensitivity. Since the latter is still up in the air, it's impossible to say "This Amp doesn't hiss, this Amp has hiss"
Aren't speakers of desktop size much of a muchness sensitivity wise?

OP
S

SeanTek

I ended up going with Topping D10 Balanced paired with Kali LP-6v2 back in March 2023. The Topping D10 Balanced does not have a subwoofer out, but the Kali LP-6v2 puts out enough bass by itself that we decided against adding a subwoofer. I have been happy with the results so far.

Top Bottom