• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integra DTM-40.7: Stereo Swiss Army Knife

jasonq997

Forum Donor
I want to point out a device that I have been very happy with. I was looking for a stereo receiver or integrated amplifier to use in my unique living room gaming/media/music PC setup. I considered AV receivers, but I just wanted to run a stereo setup. I wanted augmented functionality via digital inputs and a bunch of outputs, but without the complex software built in to an AV receiver.

From what I can tell this is just an upgraded version of the Onkyo TX-8140. Likely the exact same amplifier (they rate it at 80 watts in to 2 channels at 8 ohms) and DAC (an AK4452). The Onkyo already has a single static line out and a subwoofer output. The selling point for me is that the Integra unit has 2 preouts (Zone 1 and 2). The Zone 2 Preout can either be configured as another static line out or as a volume controllable preout.

In my setup I have the main static Line Out and Zone 2 Preout (set to static line out) each hooked up to a headphone amp (right now a single JDS ATOM and a single Magni 2 Uber). Living in an apartment, at night I am able to mute the main volume controlling the Zone 1 speakers using the remote and turn up one or both of my headphone amps that are being fed via static line outs.

I also have an open Zone 1 Preout that I can connect a larger speaker amp to if I want to. This is what I intend to do sometime next year when I upgrade my speakers.

To sum it up, the unit can:
  • Accept a stereo digital or analogue signal via toslink (2 optical and 2 coax, 6 RCA analogue) from multiple sources.
  • It also has a Phono input (which I have not used).
  • Drive speakers with a decent amplifier.
  • Output to a subwoofer (sadly without bass management capabilities).
  • Output to headphone amp via the main static line output.
  • Output to a second headphone amp via Zone 2 with a static line output.
  • Output and control 2 sets of speaker amps.
  • Line out to 2 headphone amps, and also have a volume controlled preout to a speaker amp. Each option mutable when not in use via the remote. This is my intended setup.
The DAC can’t do “high rez” from a PC since it is toslink, but I don’t care about that. I have sighted A/B tested it vs. a Topping D30 and a SMSL Sanskrit DAC through the same setup and I can’t tell a difference. The dedicated DACs probably test better but the difference is beyond my hearing capabilities. The built in DAC seems like it is very competent.

The built-in amp does the job well with the modest speakers I am currently using. The remote and interface of the unit is easy to figure out and easy to use.

I bought this from Accessories4less earlier this year. It is still $280. If you don’t need the extra output functionality the Onkyo version is selling for $220. Here are the links.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-x-80-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-ch-x-80-watts-network-stereo-receiver/1.html

vbijllaardt

I want to point out a device that I have been very happy with. I was looking for a stereo receiver or integrated amplifier to use in my unique living room gaming/media/music PC setup. I considered AV receivers, but I just wanted to run a stereo setup. I wanted augmented functionality via digital inputs and a bunch of outputs, but without the complex software built in to an AV receiver.

From what I can tell this is just an upgraded version of the Onkyo TX-8140. Likely the exact same amplifier (they rate it at 80 watts in to 2 channels at 8 ohms) and DAC (an AK4452). The Onkyo already has a single static line out and a subwoofer output. The selling point for me is that the Integra unit has 2 preouts (Zone 1 and 2). The Zone 2 Preout can either be configured as another static line out or as a volume controllable preout.

In my setup I have the main static Line Out and Zone 2 Preout (set to static line out) each hooked up to a headphone amp (right now a single JDS ATOM and a single Magni 2 Uber). Living in an apartment, at night I am able to mute the main volume controlling the Zone 1 speakers using the remote and turn up one or both of my headphone amps that are being fed via static line outs.

I also have an open Zone 1 Preout that I can connect a larger speaker amp to if I want to. This is what I intend to do sometime next year when I upgrade my speakers.

To sum it up, the unit can:
  • Accept a stereo digital or analogue signal via toslink (2 optical and 2 coax, 6 RCA analogue) from multiple sources.
  • It also has a Phono input (which I have not used).
  • Drive speakers with a decent amplifier.
  • Output to a subwoofer (sadly without bass management capabilities).
  • Output to headphone amp via the main static line output.
  • Output to a second headphone amp via Zone 2 with a static line output.
  • Output and control 2 sets of speaker amps.
  • Line out to 2 headphone amps, and also have a volume controlled preout to a speaker amp. Each option mutable when not in use via the remote. This is my intended setup.
The DAC can’t do “high rez” from a PC since it is toslink, but I don’t care about that. I have sighted A/B tested it vs. a Topping D30 and a SMSL Sanskrit DAC through the same setup and I can’t tell a difference. The dedicated DACs probably test better but the difference is beyond my hearing capabilities. The built in DAC seems like it is very competent.

The built-in amp does the job well with the modest speakers I am currently using. The remote and interface of the unit is easy to figure out and easy to use.

I bought this from Accessories4less earlier this year. It is still $280. If you don’t need the extra output functionality the Onkyo version is selling for $220. Here are the links.

https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-x-80-watts-networking-stereo-receiver/1.html
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-ch-x-80-watts-network-stereo-receiver/1.html

Dearest, i bought the dtm 40.7. Can you help me with telling me what is the best way to hook up my laptop? Without a DAC in between
Usb to usb?
Or another solutions? Please explain me as simple as possible I am a newbie :-x

vbijllaardt

Hey Jason. Thanks a lot. Now I can play my Tidal with the potential master quality. Cool!
Can I ask you another questions.
The manuel tells me I can connect a subwoofer with built in amplifier... I just have a simple subwoofer. Do you think I sould try (i ask this because i have to buy a 20E cable for this to try).

Thanks in advance.

OP
J

jasonq997

Forum Donor
Hey Jason. Thanks a lot. Now I can play my Tidal with the potential master quality. Cool!
Can I ask you another questions.
The manuel tells me I can connect a subwoofer with built in amplifier... I just have a simple subwoofer. Do you think I sould try (i ask this because i have to buy a 20E cable for this to try).

Thanks in advance.

Subwoofer would work fine as long as it has a built in crossover.

bobitto

Forum Donor
Hey guys. Just wanted to resurrect the thread. Purchased the integra and waiting for delivery. Right now I have Cambridge Audio stereo receiver with phono pre-amp and also dac magic 100 from them. As the owners how would you characterize the sound. Is it bright, detailed or more like nad sound? I wanted the stereo receiver/amplifier with pre-outs and sub outs at the same time. Plus nice to have dac and phono pre-amp. Just not sure if I will like the sound compared to Cambridge Audio SR10
Thanks

OP
J

jasonq997

Forum Donor
Who knows. I bet that the Cambridge Audio people put more effort and resources in to that amplifier. Whether this measures any better I have no idea. This is just the basic Onkyo amplifier on stereo receivers and nothing more. Probably better than many audiophile BS amps/receivers. What I like about about it is all of the inputs and outputs for music listeners. Currently I am using the Crown XLS`1502, which is connected to the one of the preamp outputs from this receiver for my speakers. At the same time the jds labs atom headphone amplifier is output from the "line out" so that I can listen to headphones. I can turn up the audio on the receiver for speakers, or I can mute it and listen to headphones. It has digital inputs which are critical. Whether you believe these are transparent or "audiophile" or "audio science review approved:" are up to you.

bobitto

Forum Donor
Thanks for taking time to comment. Will see how it sounds when I receive it. Cambridge Audio SR10 that I’m currently using is also not a high level receiver. More like a mid tear with better than expected sound. I will pair the integra with my HT amp anthem mca 3. Plus two subs.

Top Bottom