• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integra DRX-8.4

RipleyHRGiger

I received my Integra DRX 8.4 a few days ago and love it! Like ban25 says, unit runs cool, no audible clicking during movie watching, Dirac ran flawlessly, Apple TV app switching is quick and responsive (compared to RZ 50) and it sounds better than my Onkyo RZ 50 with separate emotiva amps (UPA 7). I believe anyone that is interested in this receiver will be happy with it.
OKay, so the click when turning the volume up past a certain point is normal? I should add that the unit runs very quiet for me and my speakers are all playing normally, the only odd thing I noticed, and maybe it was only before the firmware update, is that when I turn the volume up past a certain point (say past around -30) there is a click like a part of the amp is turning on.

You know how when you turn on external amps and they'll make a series of clicks? It's like that but only once and my audio doesn't cut out during this at all.

Last edited:

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OKay, so the click when turning the volume up past a certain point is normal? I should add that the unit runs very quiet for me and my speakers are all playing normally, the only odd thing I noticed, and maybe it was only before the firmware update, is that when I turn the volume up past a certain point (say past around -30) there is a click like a part of the amp is turning on.

You know how when you turn on external amps and they'll make a series of clicks? It's like that but only once and my audio doesn't cut out during this at all.
The 'click' is a relay actuating, switching rails as your power demand increases (or decreases).

ban25

could someone please explain this to me, because its a phenomenon I see on many brands typing out their wattage. Open question how do you interpret this text, 150 watts PER channel or 150 watts, distributed to 11 channels:
-----

150 Watts x 11 Channels

We’ve expertly engineered the DRX-8.4 to send 150 watts of power to eleven channels (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2-ch driven, FTC), giving the upscale consumer more flexibility than ever in their home theater layout.

-----

On the Denon A1HD is one of the brands that actually says 150 Per channel.
150 Watts Per Channel for 2-channels driven (Stereo), per FTC guidance as it says in the specs. Driving more channels will result in less wattage per channel.

mattsrs

that click is normal. My Denon 4800 does that when I increase volume past 50 it does one click

RipleyHRGiger

The 'click' is a relay actuating, switching rails as your power demand increases (or decreases).
I love learning new things and I'm also glad that this is perfectly normal. Also, I'm new here obviously and it's nice to meet you and everyone else. I've loved audio/visual equipment since the mid to late 90's and recently I've gotten my dream TV and now this AVR with DIRAC.

It looks like I don't need to get the bass control license since I'm using MiniDSP2x4HD, REW, and MSO (Multi-Sub Optimizer) to manage my 4 subwoofers. Unless of course it can do something with just a single sub-output.

I haven't delved into the DIRAC stuff yet, but, is the license information built into the receiver? I want to use the software from my Macbook and my own UMIK-1 but I didn't see any license information in the paperwork that came with the receiver. I hope I didn't lose it - I kept everything though so maybe I missed it.

Whelp, it's very nice to meet all of you and I look forward to contributing and learning from everyone here for a long time. I don't really have anyone in my real life that shares this interest of mine, and when I talk about this stuff I think they're bored. Understandably so kkkkkkkkkkk I tend to ramble on and on sometimes...

Which I'm doing right now...

I'll stop!

ban25

I haven't delved into the DIRAC stuff yet, but, is the license information built into the receiver? I want to use the software from my Macbook and my own UMIK-1 but I didn't see any license information in the paperwork that came with the receiver. I hope I didn't lose it - I kept everything though so maybe I missed it.
For the basic full-range Dirac Live correction (excluding DLBC), you just need to download Dirac Live 3 from dirac.com, connect your UMIK-1, and launch it on your MacBook. Dirac will automatically discover the Integra on the network and allow you to connect to it to start the correction process. It's quite seamless. If you choose to add a DLBC license in the future (Single-Sub or Multi-Sub), they will email you a license key, which you can add to your account on dirac.com.

RipleyHRGiger

For the basic full-range Dirac Live correction (excluding DLBC), you just need to download Dirac Live 3 from dirac.com, connect your UMIK-1, and launch it on your MacBook. Dirac will automatically discover the Integra on the network and allow you to connect to it to start the correction process. It's quite seamless. If you choose to add a DLBC license in the future (Single-Sub or Multi-Sub), they will email you a license key, which you can add to your account on dirac.com.
That almost sounds too simple! I'll get started after dinner. Thank you, ban26!

DrStranger

150 Watts Per Channel for 2-channels driven (Stereo), per FTC guidance as it says in the specs. Driving more channels will result in less wattage per channel.
I agree, but the headline confuses things.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
So what? Without tests, objective measurements, anyone can say anything.
You want to know if all 11 channels output the same maximum power at the same time? Probably not.
But, do they need to?

DrStranger

So what? Without tests, objective measurements, anyone can say anything.
You want to know if all 11 channels output the same maximum power at the same time? Probably not.
But, do they need to?
You over interpreted what I meant. I just wanted to understand what they actually mean. Is it 150 watts for each of the 11 channels or 150 spread over those 11 channels, nothing more.

ban25

You over interpreted what I meant. I just wanted to understand what they actually mean. Is it 150 watts for each of the 11 channels or 150 spread over those 11 channels, nothing more.
Technically it's neither. It's rated to deliver at least 150 WPC when 2-channels are driven (it may well deliver more when tested as Class AB amps often have decent headroom). Beyond that, in liue of actual benchmarks, we can only speculate. I would expect it to deliver something in the neighborhood of 100 WPC for 5-channels and perhaps 75 WPC for 11-channels.

RipleyHRGiger

Do I want to disable loudness management under the Dolby setting if I want full range sound for Dolby content?

ban25

Do I want to disable loudness management under the Dolby setting if I want full range sound for Dolby content?
Loudness Management is more about EQing when you are listening below reference levels. If you want to run your speakers full range, you need to set them to Full Band. You can then also set Double Bass if you are running subwoofers as well.

FullBand.png

valerianf

@ban25, how is the sound of the Integra compared to your Denon?
Are you able to crank up the volume of the DRX 8.4?
I hope that it is a more powerful AVR than the Onkyo RZ50 (nanny issue).

caspian85

Technically it's neither. It's rated to deliver at least 150 WPC when 2-channels are driven (it may well deliver more when tested as Class AB amps often have decent headroom). Beyond that, in liue of actual benchmarks, we can only speculate. I would expect it to deliver something in the neighborhood of 100 WPC for 5-channels and perhaps 75 WPC for 11-channels.
FTC also specifies speaker impedance ( 8 ohms ), frequency range ( 20 - 20k ), and a maximum Total Harmonic Distortion ( less than 0.1% ), as power delivery increases with lower impedance, and more power can also lead to more distortion.

It’s an artificial measure at best because speaker impedance varies with frequency ( and so therefore power delivery ), and also THD increases with time ( if the amp heats ).

I agree the way manufacturers write the spec is misleading. A more accurate version might be

150W per channel FTC ( 2 channels driven, 8 ohm load, 0.08% THD, 20Hz - 20kHz )
11 channels amplified

ban25

@ban25, how is the sound of the Integra compared to your Denon?
Are you able to crank up the volume of the DRX 8.4?
I hope that it is a more powerful AVR than the Onkyo RZ50 (nanny issue).
Sounds great. Tonally no difference, of course. You can certainly take it up to ear-splitting volumes. I like the fact that I can set a default volume level per input since I otherwise need to adjust it when moving between the NVIDIA Shield and PS5, for instance. With Dirac, I've been able to successfully calibrate a wider seating position than I've been able to manage in the past with Audyssey and MultEQ-X (that one sounded good, but for effectively only for one listener).

The Integra/Pio/Onkyo mobile app is also a substantial improvement over what D+M offers. I can instantly switch between three slots of Dirac correction, or turn it off entirely. The app is responsive and makes for very fast A+B comparisons.

As for power, the amplifier section alone is basically the size of the old Denon X3700H! The transformer is huge! I doubt there will be any complaints about power. :)

I posted pictures over here for a size comparison:

And REW measurements starting here:

ban25

How do you access the advanced web setup menu?
Browse to the receivers IP address, which can be found via the front panel or the OSD if you don't already have it. Then login with user 'ciuser' and password 'ciuser' to access the full web interface.

Ssmokeyy

The web link to the drx 8.4 has a lot u can do. Alot more than denon or marantz. same level maybe more than anthem. software seems pretty fast on the 8.4 also.
I have two martin logen 12's on sub output 1. Do u think the output level will be the same for both rca's out on the same channel? I know there linked together inside the avr.

Top Bottom