• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integra DRX 2.4 vs Denon AVR-X4700H

ftv

Need to replace a 5.2 receiver with one that has front L/R pre-out and has a phantom center speaker feature. No other fancy features needed though decent room correction software would be nice. Reliability, ease of use, and length of warranty are important.

Using this in a 2 story living room with the rear speakers in wall at 13' height so anything but a great HT setup, hence the need for the front L/R pre-out to drive the main speakers from a 2-channel setup for music.

The Integra can be had for about $700 and the Denon for about $1400 (both as open box), any thoughts?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually shows $1300 for me, but Safe and Sound has it for $1200. Any reason you favor the Integra over the Denon?

They are both in the same league performance-wise but the Integra has Dirac.

Martin

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does the Integra offer something comparable to Dynamic EQ, Dynamic volume and LFC?

If you find those features useful then marginally better (maybe) REQ might not be enough to tip the scale.

Then again, if those features are available somehow then I guess I would have chosen Dirac compatible amp myself (I have the X4700H).

OP
F

ftv

Martin

Martin
Denon has Audyssey which I thought is excellent as well, though admittedly I read that a few years back. Integra has a voice enhancer but not sure that will work with phantom center, and $200 less than the Denon. Is Dirac in the 3.4 worth an extra $500 over the 2.4?

OP
F

ftv

Does the Integra offer something comparable to Dynamic EQ, Dynamic volume and LFC?

If you find those features useful then marginally better (maybe) REQ might not be enough to tip the scale.

Then again, if those features are available somehow then I guess I would have chosen Dirac compatible amp myself (I have the X4700H).
I'm not familiar with those features (in the Denon, I presume).

bodhi

Forum Donor
I'm not familiar with those features (in the Denon, I presume).

You can google it and find better information faster than I can give.

Basically all those solve problems related to music and movies not sounding as intended with lower than reference volume. The lower the volume you like to use the more useful they will be. For example, DEQ still does a lot when listening at 80dB. LFC seems like it could be useful for some if they just have to get max volume at night. Dynamic volume, well, it's compressor. I'm using it often but effectiveness vary.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can google it and find better information faster than I can give.

Basically all those solve problems related to music and movies not sounding as intended with lower than reference volume. The lower the volume you like to use the more useful they will be. For example, DEQ still does a lot when listening at 80dB. LFC seems like it could be useful for some if they just have to get max volume at night. Dynamic volume, well, it's compressor. I'm using it often but effectiveness vary.

My 5+ year old Pioneer receiver has those capabilities, as did the two I owned before it. I'd be surprised if any receiver made in the last 15 years did not have them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is a phantom center speaker feature? Your old avr had such? What was/is it?

OP
F

ftv

What is a phantom center speaker feature? Your old avr had such? What was/is it?
You specify that you do NOT have a center speaker and the receiver will send the center signal to the front L/R speakers to simulate a center speaker. In my case, I have a mediocre center speaker but it will sit behind the TV with the new front speakers, and I think the front speakers will do a better job.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You specify that you do NOT have a center speaker and the receiver will send the center signal to the front L/R speakers to simulate a center speaker. In my case, I have a mediocre center speaker but it will sit behind the TV with the new front speakers, and I think the front speakers will do a better job.
Ah, that should happen in all modern avrs.

bodhi

Forum Donor
My 5+ year old Pioneer receiver has those capabilities, as did the two I owned before it. I'd be surprised if any receiver made in the last 15 years did not have them.
Good to know! Well, if someone feels like those features would be useful I still recommend checking beforehand, just for the off chance the particular model has omitted one or all of them for some weird reason.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Can the Integra 3.4 do DLBC?

Otherwise isnt Audyssey with app/pro config a more customisable tool?

Top Bottom