• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Int Amp or DAC+Amp Recommendations for Stereo System

pecpeter

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the audio world largely and have been looking at getting my first stereo system (2.0, possibly change to 2.1 if I decide the bass is lacking) and wanted some recommendations. My budget for the system, without the sub would be $1500-$2000 CAD (~$1120-$1500USD). This would be for a studio condo I'm currently living in, so the space isn't giant. I also listen largely to rock, it's related genres, and electronic music. Starting off, I would be playing music off my computer (Spotify, mp3, some flacc stuff but that's rare) . I don't have a turntable to use just yet either.

I've been looking at Klipsch RP-600M for the speakers. I was thinking that since they're more sentitive, if I get a lower power amp it'll still be fine volume wise. I've also been primarily using grado headphones, which people seem to say are brighter and I've never had an issue using them for hours. I think people say similar things about the Klipsch speakers.

The part I've been going crazy researching about is what amp to get. To give an idea of the type of things I've been looking at, I was considering the Sprout100, NAD D3045, Cambridge AUDIO AXR85/100, IotaVX SA3, started looking into Yamaha as well à bit. I was considering the Topping D10 or similar to convert USB to digital/analog if needed with the amp.

Any of you have any recommendations on things I should look into or would be better for my use case?

Thanks in advance for any help! Happy to answer any extra questions if it helps with recommendations.

Willem

Major Contributor
Does your computer have an optical or coaxial output, or only usb? If it had optical or coaxial, I think the Yamaha AS501/701/801 amplifiers are excellent proven designs from a reliable manufacturer, they measure very well and are quite powerful with just under (AS 501) or just over (AS701/801) 2x100 watts per channel. They also have optical and coaxial digital inputs, plus usb in the case of the more expensive AS801. I don't know about prices in Canada, but here in Europe the AS501 is the sweet spot for price, and would be powerful enough with most speakers in most medium sized rooms. If you only have usb from your computer, you could also decide to use the optical output of a (discontinued but still available here and there) Chromecast Audio streamer. This will be cheaper than the difference between an AS701 and AS801 Yamaha, and frees up the computer. For speakers I would look at the Elac DBR62 (tested here). They will have enough bass in a small appartment and you can always add two small subs later when you will have moved into something larger. Two small subs will be better than one bigger sub. Don't waste money on fancy cables. Turntables are a waste of money in my view because the sound will be worse than Spotify on a cheap Chromecast Audio streamer. They are a romantic illusion (i.e. snake oil by the standards of current technology).

OP
P

pecpeter

Actually just checked and the motherboard does have optical out on it, so that is an option instead of just USB.

I was planning on heading to a store to listen to the Elac DBR62 ($700) with the NAD D3045 ($1000CAD), Cambridge (AXR85 $600, AXR100 $750), and Yamaha amps (AS501 $750, AS801 $1200, no AS701 in this store at least). I'll definitely consider the DBR62 and AS501 combination.

Willem

Major Contributor
The AS 701 is the same as the AS 801, minus the usb input. It is more expensive than the AS501, but by how much will depend on local market conditions. You get a bit more power, which I always like, if there is budget. But the speakers are the most important decision. Do not think that you will hear any real difference between any of these amplifiers. If you hear a diference, it will be because they are not perfectly level matched. Even a very small 0.2 dB difference will make the louder amplifier seem like the better one, and this 0.2 dB difference is so small that you need a Volt meter to level match. No shop does that. What I like about the Yamahas apart from their proven design is that they also have traditional tone controls, and variable loudness (really nice for low level appartment listening).

Top Bottom