• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Installing a WD Blue 1 TB 3D NAND SATA SSD

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am going to replace my old HD from a laptop with a new WD Blue SATA SSD. It doesn't come with any migration software so I wondered if I could use the migration software that came with my other Samsung SSD's?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If this is really an "old" laptop it should be converted from MBR (Master Boot Record) to a GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk.

I have used Paragon Drive Copy to do this and to clone the disk.

Better though would be to just do a fresh install of Windows 10 or 11 on the new disk (it will set it up correctly) and just manually move the files you want by connecting the old drive to another computer on the network or copy to a large external backup drive before replacing it.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If this is really an "old" laptop it should be converted from MBR (Master Boot Record) to a GPT (GUID Partition Table) disk.

I have used Paragon Drive Copy to do this and to clone the disk.

Better though would be to just do a fresh install of Windows 10 or 11 on the new disk (it will set it up correctly) and just manually move the files you want by connecting the old drive to another computer on the network or copy to a large external backup drive before replacing it.
Thanks. That would work.

EdW

I’ve used the free version of Macrium Reflect to make a bootable clone of my 1TB disk on a 1TB SSB when I upgraded my desktop PC. Then I just made the SSD the boot disk in the bios and it worked immediately. Extremely easy!

Freeway

I’ve used the free version of Macrium Reflect to make a bootable clone of my 1TB disk on a 1TB SSB when I upgraded my desktop PC. Then I just made the SSD the boot disk in the bios and it worked immediately. Extremely easy!
I too have used Macrium Free to clone HHD to SSD. Done different (non matching) size storage for multiple laptops and desktops.
Quite easy and there are YouTube videos. I used the ones from access random.
I had big trouble with paid version of Easeus.

iMickey503

Forum Donor

On website.

Acronis is all I have used. Works great. Tons of other methods. But this is as easy as it gets.

Windows already as others have said, has this feature built in. But to simply clone a drive? This is the easy peasy way.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

On website.

Acronis is all I have used. Works great. Tons of other methods. But this is as easy as it gets.

Windows already as others have said, has this feature built in. But to simply clone a drive? This is the easy peasy way.
So I just download this and it will clone my old HD to the new one?

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

On website.

I'd like to do a fresh install of Windows 10. Will I even need to clone the old drive if I do that? I assume there's software on there I need just to run the computer?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to do a fresh install of Windows 10. Will I even need to clone the old drive if I do that? I assume there's software on there I need just to run the computer?
If you want a fresh install then no cloning required. How old is this notebook PC? Yes, it will most likely require drivers but Win10 usually can install those for you. I reinstalled Win10 in the recent 3 weeks and Windows update made me use all the newest drivers from from the motherboard provider/ASUS. Otherwise I could not update past a certain point in the updates.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want a fresh install then no cloning required. How old is this notebook PC? Yes, it will most likely require drivers but Win10 usually can install those for you. I reinstalled Win10 in the recent 3 weeks and Windows update made me use all the newest drivers from from the motherboard provider/ASUS. Otherwise I could not update past a certain point in the updates.
Not sure how old-it's a HP Pavilion Notebook -
Device name LAPTOP-ODS7OLNB
Processor AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics 2.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (6.94 GB usable)
Device ID 988B1DF7-7A7E-4660-A995-0CC278AA2B08
Product ID 00325-80842-56090-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I think this will answer some questions.
So I just download this and it will clone my old HD to the new one?
As long as you have at least one WD Drive. Otherwise you need the standalone non oem software,
but each hard drive manufacturer usually has their own hard drive cloning tools on their website and it's usually thew same Acronis just with Seagate or samsung on it etc.

Does that notebook drive have a recovery partition on it? Will that get cloned too?
Yes. But depends. if it's a normal disc with nothing special like Samsung uses on their hard drives or you can physically lockout portions of the hard drive then yes it will clone those partitions as well.

Best Post in thread:
BACK UP.
1634964483675.png

especially if you have a crypto wallet.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this will answer some questions.

As long as you have at least one WD Drive. Otherwise you need the standalone non oem software,
but each hard drive manufacturer usually has their own hard drive cloning tools on their website and it's usually thew same Acronis just with Seagate or samsung on it etc.

Yes. But depends. if it's a normal disc with nothing special like Samsung uses on their hard drives or you can physically lockout portions of the hard drive then yes it will clone those partitions as well.

Best Post in thread:
BACK UP.
View attachment 160822
especially if you have a crypto wallet.
That was an incredibly useful video-thanks for that link! I actually stumbled onto doing just that last night-it was cloning the new drive as I went to sleep. Should be done now. Hope it works but not sure how to get into BIOS on the laptop. On my desktops I just click F2 or delete and it enters the BIOS menu. How do I enter the BIOS menu on the HP laptop? Thank everyone for their help and advice.

OP
Rottmannash

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom