• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inside Your High-Res Music: NAXOS Jazz at the Pawnshop

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is another analysis of a high-resolution download, in this case, Jazz at the Pawnshop from Naxos. This is a DSD/DXD capture of analog tape. See: https://naxos.nativedsd.com/albums/jazz-at-the-pawnshop

upload_2017-10-15_14-2-40.png

I only have one track of it so it must have been a give away sampler.

I can't play the full resolution file in Audition so here is a quick static review of it. I had a bit of junk at the end that I tried to tim and that caused it to chop off abruptly and for some reason, youtube encoded it at 720p. Still refining my workflow. :) So play it as you see here without going fullscreen:

As I said on the video, subjective experience is "OK." No need for high resolution capture, etc.

Comments as always are welcome.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Oh, god, not "Jazz at the Pawnshop"!

Full disclosure: I own this both as a high-res download and LP

This is perhaps one of the ultimate audiophile recordings every made. Extreme "you're there live" details captured in the ambience of the recording venue ("oh, listen to the classes clinking! did you hear that guy cough to the left of the speaker?"), but (as a jazz collector) a pretty middle of the road performance, musically.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I also have the "Last Night" version, from previously undiscovered master tapes of unreleased materials, remastered using a Nagra yada yada

813543020271-cover-zoom.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Here is another analysis of a high-resolution download, in this case, Jazz at the Pawnshop from Naxos. This is a DSD/DXD capture of analog tape. See: https://naxos.nativedsd.com/albums/jazz-at-the-pawnshop

View attachment 9369

I can't play the full resolution file in Audition so here is a quick static review of it. I had a bit of junk at the end that I tried to tim and that caused it to chop off abruptly and for some reason, youtube encoded it at 720p. Still refining my workflow. :) So play it as you see here without going fullscreen:

As I said on the video, subjective experience is "OK." No need for high resolution capture, etc.

Since Audition can't play it, have you considered converting it to PCM using decimation conversion?

jackenhack

Forum Donor
By the way, filtering DSD is in the specifications. I think everything above 30kHz should be filtered in a DAC/SACD player. If you want a great application to look at music (that sounded weird,) I can recommend MusicScope. Great way to see if the files truly are high resolution, finding stuck bits in converters and to see how badly mastered a record is. Highly recommended. Here's an example of a typical PCM 44.1kHz/16-bit transfer to SACD. It was a lot of that going on when SACD was introduced. It handles every format, except AAC.

Quite mysterious that the music cuts off at -96dB precisely 22Khz isn't it? o_O

02 Blush Response.dsf_report.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
By the way, filtering DSD is in the specifications. I think everything above 30kHz should be filtered in a DAC/SACD player. If you want a great application to look at music (that sounded weird,) I can recommend MusicScope. Great way to see if the files truly are high resolution, finding stuck bits in converters and to see how badly mastered a record is. Highly recommended. Here's an example of a typical PCM 44.1kHz/16-bit transfer to SACD. It was a lot of that going on when SACD was introduced. It handles every format, except AAC.

View attachment 19070

Oh, niiiiice.....will have to check it out.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Krunok

Major Contributor

View attachment 9369

Nice work, thank you! :)

I wonder if DSD lovers will remember what your graph clearly shows: there's music only up to app 24kHz and from there upwards only garbage that increases with frequency. So much for DSD "clarity" and superiority over RBCD.

Krunok

Major Contributor
By the way, filtering DSD is in the specifications. I think everything above 30kHz should be filtered in a DAC/SACD player.

Interesting. I wonder if HiRes PCM would also benefit from filtering everything above 30kHz as it only puts strain on every element in the audio reproduction chain.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I wonder if DSD lovers will remember what your graph clearly shows: there's music only up to app 24kHz and from there upwards only garbage that increases with frequency. So much for DSD "clarity" and superiority over RBCD.

If memory serves, the original recording was done on a Revox A77. So it's not like there's going to be any non-noise content up there...

Krunok

Major Contributor
If memory serves, the original recording was done on a Revox A77. So it's not like there's going to be any non-noise content up there...

Ok, fair point. let's assume that recording was done on some modern device - what kind of "music" would be above 30kHz? :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Some music has overtones in the ultrasonic, especially close-miked strings or percussion. Presumably some electronic music as well, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with that genre.

Is that significant? Well, the levels are, of course, quite low. And other than the, ummm, questionable papers from Oohashi (which used close-miked gamelan recordings) , no-one has shown that they have any effect on auditory perception. So I'd say, "no important music over 30k" and I might even make that 30k somewhat lower; I suspect we'd be in agreement on that.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

2 cardioid Neumann KM56s over the drums on the left side of the stage. The bass, standing in the middle, and connected to a little combo amplifier on a chair, was supported by a Neumann M49, also in omnidirectional mode. The microphone was placed in such a way that it caught sound both from the instrument and from the amplifier's loudspeaker. The electric amplification of the acoustic bass is particularly noticeable in the song In a Mellow Tone, where there is a slight distortion.

Once the microphones were set out, all that was needed was to connect them all up. In those days there were no multi-cables, so Gert Palmcrantz had to lead all the eight cables from the stage, past the bar and through the kitchen to a little nook between a refrigerator and a pile of beer-crates where he had built his makeshift studio: a Studer mixer, two Dolby A 361 noise reduction units and two Nagra IV recorders which he used alternately since the seven-inch reels only lasted for 15 minutes at 38 cm/second. He rose the U47 microphones slightly in the treble.

The CD version is good enough IMO.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Another demonstration of the fallibility of my memory.:D

Krunok

Major Contributor
Some music has overtones in the ultrasonic, especially close-miked strings or percussion. Presumably some electronic music as well, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with that genre.

Is that significant? Well, the levels are, of course, quite low.

And that "quite low" may as well be at -90dB, or even lower. I hope my cat enjoys in these "sounds", assuming of course my speakers can reproduce them. :D

And other than the, ummm, questionable papers from Oohashi (which used close-miked gamelan recordings) , no-one has shown that they have any effect on auditory perception. So I'd say, "no important music over 30k" and I might even make that 30k somewhat lower; I suspect we'd be in agreement on that.

Yes, wee would. I really believe RBCD standard is absolutely sufficient for any kind of music.

John Deas

View attachment 19070

Top Bottom