• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you think about smallest brother 202D? I am thinking to replace my really old Sony receiver with something affordable but with good for money quality sound ?

I have one here in silver, but need to wait for the weekend to open it :).

First impressions: a lot less quality than the A-S 501 (and looking at the pictures from dualazmak, a lot less than the A-S 301). A lot. The enclosure feels cheap (is the front even Aluminium?), the amp sounds tinny using a pair of Focal Chorus 826v. Those are notoriously hard to drive, they dip to 2.2 ohms, so maybe it's ok with easier to drive speakers. I suspect it's a one chip solution inside. On the plus side is the DAB+/FM receiver and bluetooth conectivity.
Although quite belated, the budget one Yamaha A-S301 which I am using at my upstairs office. I used it only tentatively in my main system at listening room since no XLR balanced input available;
View attachment 131224

View attachment 131226

View attachment 131228

Looks almost exactly like the A-S 501, it seems the power supply and their caps are a bit smaller. Everything else seems to be the same. Only thing i'm missing in Yamahas consumer line is Pre-Out/Main-In for a MiniDSP (i would settle for a tape monitor loop).

Shahoff

First impressions: a lot less quality than the A-S 501 (and looking at the pictures from dualazmak, a lot less than the A-S 301). A lot. The enclosure feels cheap (is the front even Aluminium?), the amp sounds tinny using a pair of Focal Chorus 826v. Those are notoriously hard to drive, they dip to 2.2 ohms, so maybe it's ok with easier to drive speakers. I suspect it's a one chip solution inside. On the plus side is the DAB+/FM receiver and bluetooth conectivity.

Looks almost exactly like the A-S 501, it seems the power supply and their caps are a bit smaller. Everything else seems to be the same. Only thing i'm missing in Yamahas consumer line is Pre-Out/Main-In for a MiniDSP (i would settle for a tape monitor loop).

Thank you. I read similar things as well. So got good deal and purchase Denon 800NE today. Looks like its going out of production line soon and they selling them only 10euro above 600NE. The only issue is lead time. In Ireland its particularly difficult to get anything HiFi due to covid and Brexit ( as most of the warehouses for us are in UK).

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So got good deal and purchase Denon 800NE today.

I think you will be happy. Yamahas 202D's amp section is really disappointing.

nn_in

IMO Yamaha ,Denon and Marantz have been some of the better mainstream brands that have delivered consistent quality of build and internal components. I have used CA,NAD also but found in some models unknown name caps possibly a specific batch issue.

nn_in

Thank you. I read similar things as well. So got good deal and purchase Denon 800NE today. Looks like its going out of production line soon and they selling them only 10euro above 600NE. The only issue is lead time. In Ireland its particularly difficult to get anything HiFi due to covid and Brexit ( as most of the warehouses for us are in UK).
Interesting to know this. Iam using a PMA600NE/DNP800NE/Wharfedale 11.2 combo and look forward to any "useful change" Denon offers.As per Denon Japan website blog - designers of stereo amps use one pair of output designs and mostly single stage amplification. Experts can take a look to share if there is any advantage in this approach.

nn_in

Did you open 202D ..any pics ?

gsp1971

Forum Donor
For those looking for measurements

Yamaha A-S201
Yamaha A-S501
Yamaha A-S701
Yamaha A-S801

Yamaha A-S1100
Yamaha A-S1200

Yamaha A-S2100
Yamaha A-S2200

Yamaha A-S3000
Yamaha A-S3200

I also respect Yamaha gear, it is visually appealing, although the amps interior looks a bit too messy for my liking. One of the reasons I am a fan of Ncore and Purify based amps is the simple and neat interior.

For example, this photo from Apollon Audio's NCMP400 Amplifier, based on a NCore NC252MP module:

1626022561045.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

Just for your reference and info,,,

In addition to Yamaha A-S3000 driving woofers, I decided to use A-S301 to drive only super-tweeters in my multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier project, as posted here and here.

In my system, I am actually using four HiFi "integrated" amplifiers; Yamaha A-S3000, Yamaha A-S301, Accuphase E-460 and Sony TA-A1ES. Furthermore, the L&R active sub-woofers, Yamaha YST-SW1000 has poweful power amplifier in it.

usersky

Forum Donor
@TheBatsEar can we see some AX-10 pics for a bit of a change in form factor? Looks quite good on the outside.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@TheBatsEar can we see some AX-10 pics for a bit of a change in form factor? Looks quite good on the outside.
Sure, i'm just waiting for a bit of sun to make pics. It's winter here.
Preview: Very much like a A-S 301, but with less space between components.

nick779

Does anyone know if the transformer and primary capacitor bank are the same between the A-S501 and A-S701?

I'm primarily looking at the A-S501 that I have on backorder, but they keep pushing back the date. The vendor offered a A-S701 for $719 new, but I don't even own a CD player to take advantage of the CD direct. The Internal DAC upgrade is trivial for my uses too.

I'm mainly vinyl through a Pluto 2 preamp or APTX via a BT receiver with an internal PCM5102. 25'x35' room with 12 foot ceilings. Wharfedale 12.2

Not sure if the component "upgrade" would be worth the $189 upcharge.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Get the A-S701! CD-Direct is not only for connecting a CD player, but is also for connecting any audio source with RCA output, just read the manual and you'll understand the benefits (lower noise and distortions).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Get the A-S701! CD-Direct is not only for connecting a CD player, but is also for connecting any audio source with RCA output, just read the manual and you'll understand the benefits (lower noise and distortions).
[emphasis added]
Just to amend the above-quoted post a wee bit... any line level analog audio source with RCA output.
Don't plug a turntable's RCA plugs into it and expect anything useful ;) -- although the output of a turntable with built-in phono pream/EQ, or a standalone phono preamp/EQ's output will work fine.

:)

so... tape deck, tuner, analog output of a DAC... all cool and valid inputs for the "CD-Direct".
I'd go for the "701", too, if the price isn't a hardship -- and FWIW. :)

Chazz6

The thread linked below discusses the CD Direct (and Pure Direct). The general view seems to be that the former at best is a tradeoff of some sonic qualities, not necessarily an improvement.
It is your budget, of course, but I would look for an A-S501 from another seller, including a local craigslist used listing.

nick779

The thread linked below discusses the CD Direct (and Pure Direct). The general view seems to be that the former at best is a tradeoff of some sonic qualities, not necessarily an improvement.
It is your budget, of course, but I would look for an A-S501 from another seller, including a local craigslist used listing.
A4L actually has new A-S501s right now. I might just go that route. Not really looking for a refurb at this time.

nick779

Well, ended up with a A-S701. I'll never use the CD direct function, but I decided on going for the A-S701 even though it's overkill for my use. I figure it has the best amplifier section(based on teardowns) of the Yamaha consumer line and I was already mostly happy with the sound of the scratch&dent 301 that I am returning.

I did consider auditioning a NAD C328/338, Marantz PM6007 or stretching to the Arcam SA10, but didn't want to press my luck with Crutchfield after auditioning 3 sets of speakers.

The 701 was the easy choice, a powerful, dumb amp with plenty of inputs.

Willem

Major Contributor
Just over a year ago I bought an AS501 for my daughter, and it is absolutely fine. It was only 359 euros in the Netherlands, and at that time a lot less than the AS701 that is only just a bit more powerful. In this day and age of internet radio I see no point in buying receivers anymore.

Top Bottom