• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inside the JBL305P MkII

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
From what o understand the Adc will be bypassed if I don’t use XLR input ?
The speaker only has analog XLR and TRS inputs. The crossover is digital so they have to go through the ADC. The only way to bypass the ADC would be to make some low level modification like replacing the ADC with an SPDIF receiver - not a simple job.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Is DSP bad for studio monitors when compared to pure analogue design?
No, why would it be?

With DSP you can have far finer control over crossover slopes, high and low pass filters, and peak filters, than you could with passive crossovers.

Some home audio enthusiasts seem to be a bit reluctant to use digital processing, but I don't think the pro audio community has the same concerns. Most music recorded in the last 30 or more years is likely to to have been digitally captured, mixed and mastered in any case; so it's been digitised at some point, even if you are playing it back on vinyl.

PaperBoat

No, why would it be?
Because someone is worried about the digital crossover design of JBL and Kali. ⇣

1710404520622.png

dabassgoesboomboom

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Because someone is worried about the digital crossover design of JBL and Kali. ⇣

View attachment 356277
dabassgoesboomboom

I didn't read the thread thoroughly, but he is correct that with DSP controlled monitors the resolution will be re-sampled to whatever the bit depths and rates that the ADC and DAC in the monitors is capable of.

For example, you may start with a hi-res 24bit, 192kHz file, which is converted to analogue by your DAC, which then goes to your monitor, which then converts it to 24bit, 48kHz for DSP, then back to an analogue signal for the amps in the monitors.

Most of the pro-audio focussed brands, like Genelec, Dynaudio and Neumann, have moved to DSP for their latest models of active monitors. There are some exceptions like ATC, but it seems to be a trend.

If you read the specs of most speakers and monitors, most are incapable of producing sounds much above 20kHz, after all, no one can hear them anyway. So, there's little point using bit rates above 48kHz. On the other hand, as I understand it, a higher bit depth, either 24, 32 or 64bit, does allow for more headroom and more accurate DSP.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
JBL 305p MKII has Cirrus Logic CS5341 ADC built-in. But I don't understand what is the meaning of "Supports All Audio Sample Rates". What is the upper limit of sample rates for Cirrus Logic CS5341 ADC?

View attachment 356322
Cirrus Logic CS5341 ADC
That just means that the Cirrus Logic CS5341 ADC can output at sample rates up to 192kHz.

You can go higher:

I can't find it now, but I was watching a YouTube video the other day by a pro-audio guy, and in his opinion, for playback 16bit, 44.1kHz is fine, as it is very unlikely that you can hear any improvement when playing back music at higher bit depths and rates; which is why it was chosen for CD.

However, for mixing and mastering, higher bit depths and rates are desirable as they give you more headroom for digital manipulation, like EQ and DSP, while mixing and mastering.

Also, take a look at this, which explains why this is a false representation of digital audio:

1710420970938.png

Top Bottom