• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inside High res Music (Antonio Forcione) (Video)

EJH

How about a properly implemented 44.1/16 A/D - D/A chain and everyone goes home happy, like it was meant to be all along?
Because happily it’s not all about something’s utility. From another perspective, the fact that human beings can’t hear something is inconsequential. It’s also about technological innovation, about being able to reproduce reality as faithfully as possible, about the state of the art, about leaving behind human artifacts that are as perfect as possible. Amir played a high-res file that looked absolutely gorgeous up past the threshold of human hearing (until the vocal track kicked in, which was not as pristine as the instrumental one), and I just think it’s great that something like that exists. Maybe one day human hearing will be able to make full use of it.

threni

Major Contributor
Maybe one day human hearing will be able to make full use of it.

Maybe the album covers could be printed using ultra-violet ink, in readiness for our eyes to evolve similarly to our ears..

EJH

Nah the actual recording is a completely different kind of historical document--for instance, a performance of a Beethoven 9th by a great conductor or a recording of a major composer conducting his own work the way Stravinsky, Hindemith, and many others have done. Given the technology is available, you might as well use it and produce the best master possible for posterity.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

Have you read what you wrote ? Aging and physiology.
I don't understand how more audiophiles are in the denial.

EJH

Have you read what you wrote ? Aging and physiology.
I don't understand how more audiophiles are in the denial.

1) I'm not an audiophile.

2) I believe people will have better hearing in the future thanks to scientific advancements.

3) Even if nobody ever gets to hear anything above 20kHz, people will continue to make high-resolution recordings because it's also about the quest to capture reality as objectively and perfectly as possible.

5) Given that high-res recordings are being made, what's the solution on the distribution side? Sure 16/44.1 is enough. Sure people should be aware of the science. Sure people should not fall for unsubstantiated marketing claims. The educating that Amir and others are doing is all to the good. Beyond that, however, shouldn't customers have the *option* to buy an exact copy of the high-res file (a 24/96 file of a 24/96 recording and so on) even if you think it's a stupid purchase?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
2) I believe people will have better hearing in the future thanks to scientific advancements.
It would be great this to happen, but I don't think so. We will "evolve" to ignore noises around us (see noise maps of the cities), so our hearing sensitivity and dynamic will decrease.

Maybe when we'll get back into the woods and start hunting again we'll have a better hearing.

Katji

Major Contributor
The url link is not working, can you post the title and the authors?
/tmpFiles/ no wonder.
aes.org is a PITA, I regretted registering there, although it doesn't generate spam emails like academia.edu

Katji

Major Contributor
Maybe the album covers could be printed using ultra-violet ink, in readiness for our eyes to evolve similarly to our ears..

3) Even if nobody ever gets to hear anything above 20kHz, people will continue to make high-resolution recordings because it's also about the quest to capture reality as objectively and perfectly as possible.

It will be bionic add-ons. If bionic ears then presumably the neurology would quickly adapt. And the technology for audio production/reproduction.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That paper is highly contented, as are some of the referenced papers.

threni

Major Contributor

Katji

Major Contributor
edit :) contentious
That looks like iphone auto-suggest.

dvcpro100

Tks

Major Contributor

5) Given that high-res recordings are being made, what's the solution on the distribution side? Sure 16/44.1 is enough. Sure people should be aware of the science. Sure people should not fall for unsubstantiated marketing claims. The educating that Amir and others are doing is all to the good. Beyond that, however, shouldn't customers have the *option* to buy an exact copy of the high-res file (a 24/96 file of a 24/96 recording and so on) even if you think it's a stupid purchase?

Just wanted to say something really quickly.

Let's assume somewhere either a few decades from now, we're able to hear higher frequencies by augmentation of some sort. What makes you think that this is something anyone would actually desire? Maybe hearing the content in those frequencies is terrible (in fact, I'd argue it straight-up is, judging by how nasty content in high frequencies already is).

Btw I subscribe to your position you make at your 5th point (you skipped 4 as a typo I think).

Top Bottom