• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inside an AudioQuest USB cable

mansr

Major Contributor
PXL_20210124_155900896.jpg

This is the short type A to C cable that comes with the Dragonfly DACs. There's a shield braid and foil inside which we find the power and ground wires, a string, and more foil around the data wires (hiding under the string).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tw99

View attachment 108138

This is the short type A to C cable that comes with the Dragonfly DACs. There's a shield braid and foil inside which we find the power and ground wires, a string, and more foil around the data wires (hiding under the string).

Audiophiles can now tell us about the "tightly woven rhythms" they experience with these cables.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that special audiophile string?

There are often thin threads in normal cables, I assume for a good reason, but why?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
There are often thin threads in normal cables, I assume for a good reason, but why?

Strain protection. It's just to stop it from falling apart if you pull on it by accident.

EDIT: I was partially wrong. The thin ones (made of nylon) are ripping cords intended to be used for cutting through the jacket when stripping cable ends.
Was news to me. Have never used them.

And some of them seem to be nothing but an identifying marker? Don't know... Guess strings in cables are just a versatile thing.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that special audiophile string?

I believe usually the string is to keep spacing between strands of the cable.

EDIT: see below how it can be for stripping the jacket off. I've seen some cables with more than one string in them. I've assumed that was for spacing. The cord in the AQ above looks too thick for cutting the jacket, looks more like it is a core around which they wind the wires.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Strain protection. It's just to stop it from falling apart if you pull on it by accident.

EDIT: I was partially wrong. The thin ones (made of nylon) are ripping cords intended to be used for cutting through the jacket when stripping cable ends.
Was news to me. Have never used them.

And some of them seem to be nothing but an identifying marker? Don't know... Guess strings in cables are just a versatile thing.
Video on using rip cord.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can see the phlogiston! - it's near the center of the photo

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@mansr Do you know which series of cable it is? Good to put a price/name to it.

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
@mansr Do you know which series of cable it is? Good to put a price/name to it.
According to their website, it's the "Carbon" variant. MSRP for the short cable is $29.95. A regular 1.5 m cable of the same description is $219.95, a little less per unit length.

Top Bottom