• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Insanely Expensive Audio

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
A $17k phono cartridge: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2018/08/25/zyx-universe-optimum/

A $25k DAC: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0818/EMM_Labs_DA2_DAC_Review.htm
(I think DCS makes one for $36K)

A selection of loudspeakers from $100k and up, way up: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2018-editors-choice-awards-loudspeakers-100000-and-up/

An amplifier for $119k: https://www.stereophile.com/content/moon-simaudio-888-monoblock-power-amplifier

Perhaps some of the members around here can find some even more outlandishly priced gear. Who buys this stuff?

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Those prices are no longer "insanely expensive." :) There is a tier above them now.
I have seen some things which are in a higher tier, but wonder if they are one off's.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm reminded of one of the most vicious but memorable political put downs I ever read, in the diaries of a politician - "the problem with Michael is he had to buy his furniture". The sort of people buying this stuff just inhabit a different world.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If they just spent the money on the actual audio devices, that would be one thing. Now it is fashionable to spend tens of thousands of dollars on tweaks. There are now $17,000 USB cables! (not a typo)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
If they just spent the money on the actual audio devices, that would be one thing. Now it is fashionable to spend tens of thousands of dollars on tweaks. There are now $17,000 USB cables! (not a typo)

Wow!

Link?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow!

Link?
I don't want to promote them with a link. Here is a snippet from their site which you can follow if you like:

1535310941043.png

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Ah, but they are all beautiful works of industrial art to look at, are they not? And, think of the prestige. That means they are going to increase in value even more insanely after purchase, like old Bugattis.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to promote them with a link. Here is a snippet from their site which you can follow if you like:

View attachment 15046

Each additional .5 meter is $1400. I guess the connectors are $7800 for the pair. And in the picture they look like any other connector.

At one time a few AQ cables cost around or over $10k were on Amazon with hundreds of reviews. I remember the ethernet and HDMI cables. The reviews were from people making fun of the product in some very entertaining and humorous ways. I see those are not on Amazon anymore. Progress I suppose.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The reason some cables are so expensive is because it's hard to find enough virgins to make them.

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I wonder how much this cost?
ZYX-UNIverse-Rick-System.jpg

I would love to plug my Meze 99 classics into that. Theirs gotta be a headphone out somewhere in there.o_O

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer a real living room with a simple audio system and a nice view as opposed to a cluttered "hifi man-cave" stuffed full of audio gear - although the flat-screen TV could be a bit bigger. (Actually, this room with all of it's hard, flat reflective surfaces could be a acoustical nightmare.)

MBL Audio System 01.jpg

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@Rod there is a lot of redundancy in that system. I see 5 turntables and at least 8 amplifiers plus boxes which do unknown things. He probably has another giant room to store his collection of vinyl.

@Xulonn those speakers are a work of art. If I had those in my house and someone asked me what they were, I would fib and say sculpture. In the photo the 4 amps look like they are batman approved.

These photos are fantastic. Does anyone have more like this?

DuxServit

Forum Donor
One purpose of “bling” is to denote group-identity and group-membership. Could be cars, houses, horses, planes, etc.

Within communities of monkeys and related, “bling” by a male could be manifested by the number of females, territory sizes, etc.

:)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These photos are fantastic. Does anyone have more like this?
I find Pinterest to be vastly superior to Google images for finding artistic expression related to many types of objects, even those classes of things that are most often mundane. Search for "exotic loudspeakers" and be prepared to see amazing designs that boggle the mind. (I believe that you need to create a free account and log in to browse the depths of Pinterest, but I find it a fun place to visit.)

Double Bass Loudspeakers.jpg

Speaker Sculpture 01.jpg

Speaker Sculpture 02.jpg

Top Bottom