• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Insanely Expensive Audio

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
If you have a weak stomach yes you might vomit.
Or if you drink too much beer in excess...and laugh.

cjfrbw

Audiophile bovine manure? And I thought I had heard it all.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, $55k is only a little crazy. It's got to be 6 figures to be truly insane. Those monoblocks weigh in at 154 lb each. That's really insane. One failed during Stereophile's review.

One of the things that struck me in my younger days when I went through a phase of falling for all the audiophile stuff and spending a lot of money on audio gear was a realisation that a lot of high end exotica was actually very shoddily built and of really rather poor quality and shamed by entry level Japanese gear let alone the more expensive Japanese gear. That was what started my move into the more down to earth end of the hobby as I realised that whatever I was paying for with that high end gear it wasn't quality. From what I see nothing has changed (note, the above is a generalisation and unfair to some companies but it is true for an awful lot of high end audio equipment).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the things that struck me in my younger days when I went through a phase of falling for all the audiophile stuff and spending a lot of money on audio gear was a realisation that a lot of high end exotica was actually very shoddily built and of really rather poor quality and shamed by entry level Japanese gear let alone the more expensive Japanese gear. That was what started my move into the more down to earth end of the hobby as I realised that whatever I was paying for with that high end gear it wasn't quality. From what I see nothing has changed (note, the above is a generalisation and unfair to some companies but it is true for an awful lot of high end audio equipment).

Took me a long time to realize the same. And you are also so correct about some High End companies that do take pride into the quality and reliability of their products. I would say that I have had no issue whatsoever with the various Burmester products that I have had in my systems.

I wouldn't go as far as having any puking reaction to the Oscar Mills products .. This video however has to make anyone think about what passes for quality in this world of High End Audio... What makes me cringe the most is the intonation of the high price one has to pay to get great sound in one's home. Nothing is further from the truth.
There is a market for this insane High End Audio B.S. I hope that this ASR site and similar ( there are very few truth to be told) help those who are in search of serious High Fidelity achieve their goals and enjoy music to the highest degree. One reason I am dreaming to see one of those >$20,000 DAC measurements as compared to the Topping and al ... Please Amir!

Peace! Enjoy the Music!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Took me a long time to realize the same. And you are also so correct about some High End companies that do take pride into the quality and reliability of their products. I would say that I have had no issue whatsoever with the various Burmester products that I have had in my systems.

I wouldn't go as far as having any puking reaction to the Oscar Mills products .. This video however has to make anyone think about what passes for quality in this world of High End Audio... What makes me cringe the most is the intonation of the high price one has to pay to get great sound in one's home. Nothing is further from the truth.
There is a market for this insane High End Audio B.S. I hope that this ASR site and similar ( there are very few truth to be told) help those who are in search of serious High Fidelity achieve their goals and enjoy music to the highest degree. One reason I am dreaming to see one of those >$20,000 DAC measurements as compared to the Topping and al ... Please Amir!

Peace! Enjoy the Music!

Some of these units have been extensively measured elsewhere, e.g. dCs Vivaldi or Meridian Ultra DAC by Stereophile. One of those seems to measure slightly better, and one slightly worse, than the D50 or Adi-2 DAC, for example. Would be interesting to see a direct comparison, but my interest would be purely academic as I don't believe improvements, if measurable, could be audible.

Then ofc there's this old chestnut...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
The design is simple, elegant, the external woodworking grain beautiful, the base feet solid and inspiring confidence, the internal braces "Magico" serious, the drivers enclosures high tech, the crossover serious, the price serious too.

How can you not like to have this look in your room; for me it is impossible...they are gorgeous looking. And if they sound the part the better it is.

1018tidal.2.jpg

Wombat

Master Contributor
The design is simple, elegant, the external woodworking grain beautiful, the base feet solid and inspiring confidence, the internal braces "Magico" serious, the drivers enclosures high tech, the crossover serious, the price serious too.

How can you not like to have this look in your room; for me it is impossible...they are gorgeous looking. And if they sound the part the better it is.

1018tidal.2.jpg

Very nice..........but that office-chair inspired base spoils the look. :rolleyes:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's beautiful, but near 1/4 million?
But John Atkinson says it's the "best looking, best built, best sounding speaker he's had in his listening room".
That about says it all.
Well doesn't it??? :facepalm:

Wombat

Master Contributor
It's beautiful, but near 1/4 million?
But John Atkinson says it's the "best looking, best built, best sounding speaker he's had in his listening room".
That about says it all.
Well doesn't it??? :facepalm:

But does it have the West Coast Sound option? Seriously with all this modern DSP emulation capability around, a speaker could have a range of 'voices'.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Very nice..........but that office-chair inspired base spoils the look. :rolleyes:

Ah, I didn't see that; to me it looks like a solid silver/chrome/steel foundation base.
It marries well the above front speaker face in addition to serving its true purpose.
I looked @ it (the entire speaker and silver chrome touches) for a very long time, and usually I am not so fond of chrome in speakers designs, but more for motorcycles, and this one doesn't offend me...I was surprised, but then I came to my art senses, artistic background. I just like it, I can't escape it.

I would like to test drive it, for couple months.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

1018tidal.2.jpg
The look is completely ruined (for me) by the bass units looking much, much too small. I like the wood grain though.
Completely absurd price though IMO

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The look is completely ruined (for me) by the bass units looking much, much too small.
Yes they're small but there's 4 passive, ohhhhh.
Low bass doesn't appear to be these speakers forte looking at Johns measurements and listening impressions.
Maybe they need a subwoofer or two? LOL

Glad I wasn't me that had to call the manufacturer and tell them I smoked a tweeter on these $215K speakers by not double checking my test app settings. :eek::D Thought you'd been doing this for a while John? LOL

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad I wasn't me that had to call the manufacturer and tell them I smoked a tweeter on these $215K speakers by not double checking my test app settings. :eek::D Thought you'd been doing this for a while John? LOL

JA and some of his colleagues (not Prof. Robinson) often seem to have technical difficulties of this kind. I've blown a fuse in an amplifier and spilled a beer on my aged MacBook Pro once. But these are rare, once-every-ten-years events for me. For these reviewers, such mishaps seem to occur every other review.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JA and some of his colleagues (not Prof. Robinson) often seem to have technical difficulties of this kind. I've blown a fuse in an amplifier and spilled a beer on my aged MacBook Pro once. But these are rare, once-every-ten-years events for me. For these reviewers, such mishaps seem to occur every other review.

Full time reviewers go through a lot more stuff than a normal consumer would so there's plenty more chances to screw something up.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For these reviewers, such mishaps seem to occur every other review.
Full time reviewers go through a lot more stuff than a normal consumer would so there's plenty more chances to screw something up.
That's definitely true. But JA being a Stereophile "big to do" with his inflated ego and Superman ears,, it's so much more fun to catch him screwin up. LOL

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For people with an interest for measurements, including me, and with a wide open objective mind: • https://www.stereophile.com/content/tidal-audio-akira-loudspeaker-measurements

Their sub bass extension isn't so hot, -10 db @30 hz. I wonder how these would in a shootout with a pair of Salon 2's which are one tenth the cost. For the nearly $200k difference you could buy a boatload of pretty artwork. If you knew what you were doing that stuff would be worth more than you paid for it in 10 years.

Top Bottom