• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Input to Topping Pre90

sganti

Hi
I have a benchmark dac3B, and got a topping preamp, the balanced output of the benchmark with no attenuation is +24 dBu @ 0dbFS, Topping spec indicates an input sensitivity of 9.3Vrms @ 0dB.

Given this is a preamp with an attenuator, is it ok to leave the benchmark at the factory setting of maximum gain, since the attenuator will help in not overloading the preamp? I am assuming the attenuation is done at the input..

The preamp drives a pair of tube amp monolocks I built, the amp configuration is choke loaded 801A driving a 211 using monolith magnetics plate chokes, output transformers and power transformers. Given the low drive, I need as much gain as possible going into the amp to drive the 211 to full power.

Thank you
Sridhar

OP
S

sganti

I did not get a response, maybe my question was not clear :-(

let me re-phrase, does topping pre90 have the relay attenuation at the input or output, I am assuming at the input, in which case I should be with benchmark dac3B putting out full output..

can the experts here confirm please

thank you

Top Bottom