• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Input signal level for measuring amps with and without volume control

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I noticed that Amir's method tuned for "pure amps" without volume control. So the only way to achieve 5watt output is via input signal level. And I've seen Amir use 0.25V or 0.5V as input level. But for amps with volume control it will return unrealistic results, as in typical scenario they will be fed 2V or 4V input from DAC (and 100% volume in PC or other source) and volume lowered inside the amp. Can we discuss this? Am I wrong or right? Will it lead to higher or lower SINAD numbers for amps with volume control?
Example: AIYIMA A07 - I tried to control its volume via DAC Pre-mode, which resulted in loud hum/hiss in speakers during no-music. Useless mode for A07. But in feeding A07 full 2V from DAC and lowering volume via A07 - no hum/hiss, the sound is excellent, and my speakers are happy. It could be because of A07 DC leak, but I've seen and expect similar noise from other amps.

Top Bottom