• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

input sensitivity with purifi

airgas1998

so my question is I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon, and order one of the vtv purifi eigentakt stereo amps. however, I'm concerned that my Onkyo rz900(avr) with its 1v input sensitivity rating isn't nearly enough to take advantage of the amps max wattage....or am I completely not thinking right??? please explain...also if this isn't the best route to go what class d route would be??

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
so my question is I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon, and order one of the vtv purifi eigentakt stereo amps. however, I'm concerned that my Onkyo rz900(avr) with its 1v input sensitivity rating isn't nearly enough to take advantage of the amps max wattage....or am I completely not thinking right??? please explain...also if this isn't the best route to go what class d route would be??
Make sure you actually need a better amp before buying - your speakers might be just fine with this AVR, unless they are especially power hungry. There aren’t many speakers that will need more than the 140W it provides, so a reason to add an amp might be to leave more power for center and surrounds for example, just taper expectation on what a good amp will and won’t do for you.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
To clarify what I mean - there’s this common belief that amplifiers are changing the sound so dramatically that a “better” amp will “transform” your speakers and listening experience. I’m doing my own validation of this (as many others have) and I’m finding that amps pretty much sound the same when they have sufficient power and I won’t be able to blindly tell them apart. That’s when properly volume-matched, which is harder to do than you would expect, thus many who compare amps don’t do it right and then hear all kinds of magic differences.
Case in point - my experience of comparing amps, in particular Purifi vs an Onkyo AVR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pa3255-vs-onkyo-tx-nr737-125w-class-ab.30257/
I heard all kinds of differences until I volume-matched them with an oscilloscope, then all of them disappeared.

I’m not saying good amps are not worth it - I still buy the best one I can afford with the best measurements. It’s important to understand though is that these great measurements don’t necessarily translate to audible differences and most often sufficiently-well measuring electronics like amps and DACs would sound the same.

Top Bottom