• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

input power and SNR

OP
MacCali

MacCali

Major Contributor
Almost All amps pre and power have far too much gain, that is a trick to make the SNR look good on paper. But when combining pre power and speaker the SNR goes way down .

Many preamps gives 10-15volts out when only 0.5-2V is enough to make the power amp clip. My solution was to get a power amp with selectable gain 16-22-25-28dB . 16dB gain Combined with balanced signal that gives 4.5 Volt in for power amp clipping, while the pre can give 6V at max volume. A much better fit than normal. I listen at -10 to -25 dB volume on pre, 90dB /2.8V speakers. And my power amp then never clips or reaches peak power. System is very silent, hard to detect any hiss with ear 1” from tweeter even if my pre is not the best measuring ,The Power som is dead silent SNR 117dB.
German magazines test SNR at 5w , than gives A Much more realistic value
Yes, as you are aware this is really confusing for someone that’s new. I am trying to balance my budget and make this work. Cause this will be my second most expensive purchase.

So trying to see my options, I am not going with the pre90 for anything besides a volume control and cleanliness.

However, I am going to take @Eetu ’s word for it and try this amp. But even watching reviews on this VTV unit, another manufacturer people keep drawing the same line that seems to be class A/B has that fuller sound. I’m definitely not a huge fan of heavy bass for music and I hate bloat and port chuffing/boomy. I am only going to accept this class D because it seems to lack that. However, the issue is I am probably going to get that buckeye and there’s no returns if I don’t like it. So it makes me question the deal. Guess I will just sell it if I don’t like it and take a loss.

@Chrispy do you think it would be wiser for me to get my own case from Ghent? Can’t seem to find the one that’s for that 502 module. Buckeye has it linked on the website.

Second to that how difficult would it be for me to DIY a purifi setup with a Ghent case. Never done it so I don’t know the process. Can’t seem to find videos on it either

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, never really looked into a diy project for one of these....yet. I wouldn't assign so many traits to one class vs another myself, though. There are some diy build threads I've seen here and there among the various fora but can't point you to any in particular.

OP
MacCali

MacCali

Major Contributor
Almost All amps pre and power have far too much gain, that is a trick to make the SNR look good on paper. But when combining pre power and speaker the SNR goes way down .

Many preamps gives 10-15volts out when only 0.5-2V is enough to make the power amp clip. My solution was to get a power amp with selectable gain 16-22-25-28dB . 16dB gain Combined with balanced signal that gives 4.5 Volt in for power amp clipping, while the pre can give 6V at max volume. A much better fit than normal. I listen at -10 to -25 dB volume on pre, 90dB /2.8V speakers. And my power amp then never clips or reaches peak power. System is very silent, hard to detect any hiss with ear 1” from tweeter even if my pre is not the best measuring ,The Power som is dead silent SNR 117dB.
German magazines test SNR at 5w , than gives A Much more realistic value
Yea, I am far to much in my infancy stage to understand all of this. I’m sure it’s like providing wattage one channel driven at 4 ohms as a spec lol. I do feel as @Eetu and @DonH56 said the musical Fidelity maybe gimmicky even though I don’t doubt it should be more than enough for my level of experience.

Also you guys aren’t taking into consideration my view. The unit does sell for 2800, the place I was going to purchase from is 2500, plus 10% off and no tax which is an additional 10% in my neck of the woods. So to me I’m going to pay 2000 for it. To me that’s a decent deal and how I view the transaction. They are an authorized dealer and the 7 year warranty is grand vs the M6SI at 2700 it sounds like a better deal.

I just got these new speakers, so upgrades trying to follow. When I demo’d them and they sounded great to me they were fed a lot of power. My only options are my AVR, kind of don’t want to use my AVR any more as my NAD326 sounds way better.

I just settled and got something to hold me over, I’m not rushing. My speakers have been sitting and not in use for two months as I look. I’m about to move my “theater/listening” room to larger one that I have cause these speakers are monsters and I want to pull them out away from the walls.

I just bought an older Denon stereo amp. Looks pretty nice, only thing is and I’m not sure if it’s good or bad they have el cores instead of toroidal transformers. If it fails to satisfy I’ll just use it in my home as my avr uses 11 channels but only amps 9 channels. Plus I like this denon because it has A/B speakers. I can connect my home theater and stereo speakers on the same amp and just switch inputs for whatever I’m using it for

So now I have more time to decide what’s best.

Top Bottom