• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Innuos Zen Mini Mkiii too slow for Roon?

BentonF

I’m after a streamer unit that can run Roon Core and also rip CDs. I don’t really want a computer in the living room and don’t have the time or competence to build something. Although I’ve read on forums from those that have bought it and it’s more expensive brothers, that the N4200 processor seems fine performance wise (as long as you don’t tax it with DSP) but I can’t help but think this unit will become outdated and an expensive brick in a few years. Roon is likely to become a larger piece of software in coming years and the N4200 processor might stutter and crawl. Roon advise an i7 with SSD. I’m not a computer expert so any advice would be valuable and much appreciated.

The Zen Mini mkiii is £899 whereas the Roon Nucleus+ is £2500 so the former is attractive and fits my needs nicely. Thank you chaps.

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zenmini-mk3-1tb-hdd

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements?

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would run Roon core fine if you aren't making it do any heavy lifting i.e. D.S.D. up-sampling. 4x P.C.M. up-sampling would be fine, if you wanted to.
If it becomes a problem later on, put Roon "ROCK" on a Intel NUC PC and use the zen as an endpoint. EDIT: I believe the ROCK NUC would also be able to see all your rips on the zen and play them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

artnoi

according to Amir, even the (non-Raspberry) Pi can run Roon just fine using Diet Pi or something. But I’m not sure if that’s Room Core or just the end point and I’m too lazy to check.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
according to Amir, even the (non-Raspberry) Pi can run Roon just fine using Diet Pi or something. But I’m not sure if that’s Room Core or just the end point and I’m too lazy to check.

If it's like my Pi, it's just the endpoint.

Top Bottom