• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Innerfidelity abandoned headphone measurement?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to quite like Innerfidelity as although Tyll could do subjective he wasn't out in the bonkers end of subjectivism and he did back his opinions up with some measurements (and he had a very engaging style). Since Tyll left they seem to have stopped doing measurements and fallen into being just another purveyor of florid prose and expensive = good subjectivism. Does anyone know if this is a blip or have they really abandoned measurement? I always quite like Tyll's willingness to express scepticism about the modern fashion for high end statement headphones, it's sad to see what's happened to the site since he left.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I have altogether stopped reading anything new from that website -- but I have archived all the old articles which I found salient over the years. I do occasionally check every couple months to see if anything worthwhile has been written. As far as I'm concerned, the answer is 'nada'.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Still subscribe to their RSS feed, but nothing to write home about. Measurements are promised since day one of the new regime, but never materialized. User stopped asking for measurements in the meantime. Reviews are not even subjective. They simply follow the money.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read the review they put up of the Quad ERA-1 headphones as it is a model I'm very interested in for various reasons. Lots of florid prose, opinions and the usual audiophile verbiage but no measurement. For all I know the review may be completely right about the headphone or it may be complete nonsense, I have no idea. When Tyll was there the charts gave a sense check on his opinions and he tended to be pretty balanced in my opinion. The site has just gone down the pan.

Rusty Shackleford

I used to quite like Innerfidelity as although Tyll could do subjective he wasn't out in the bonkers end of subjectivism and he did back his opinions up with some measurements (and he had a very engaging style). Since Tyll left they seem to have stopped doing measurements and fallen into being just another purveyor of florid prose and expensive = good subjectivism. Does anyone know if this is a blip or have they really abandoned measurement? I always quite like Tyll's willingness to express scepticism about the modern fashion for high end statement headphones, it's sad to see what's happened to the site since he left.

Tyll was a model reviewer, combining measurements, explanations of those measurements, and informed personal impressions into a cohesive whole. It was a true loss for the headphone community when he retired.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They said headphone measurements would still be be an important part and would be done in the U.K.
Someone with real expertise would do that part.
So far nothing has been measured nor does that still seem to be in the charts but who knows.
In any case those measurements wouldn't be comparable to Tyll's anyway as he used the wrong compensation plots from day 1.
Headroom later used the same measurement data but used better compensation.
I still make use of the pdf's he has. Can't use these for anything but compare against other IF plots.

As for me... its just a hobby. Have little to no connections in the headphone business, lack expensive test gear, don't want to plaster my face everywhere nor show up in all the right places, don't live in the US nor have Hawaiian shirts nor any essential Charisma and don't plan to travel in a van by myself.
I like to keep it small (busy day job)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
They said headphone measurements would still be be an important part and would be done in the U.K.
Someone with real expertise would do that part.
So far nothing has been measured nor does that still seem to be in the charts but who knows.
In any case those measurements wouldn't be comparable to Tyll's anyway as he used the wrong compensation plots from day 1.
Headroom later used the same measurement data but used better compensation.
I still make use of the pdf's he has. Can't use these for anything but compare against other IF plots.

As for me... its just a hobby. Have little to no connections in the headphone business, lack expensive test gear, don't want to plaster my face everywhere nor show up in all the right places, don't live in the US nor have Hawaiian shirts nor any essential Charisma and don't plan to travel in a van by myself.
I like to keep it small (busy day job)
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/how-to-interpret-graphs/3rd-party-plots/

Do you know why Tyll followed that compensation?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
He was told by the guy that installed the HATS that it was the correct compensation.
It looks even like he applied it double.

After a few years he found out it was the wrong compensation but decided he didn't want to re-measure/and or redo all pdf's. He also wasn't sure what the correct compensation needed to be. That still is the question of the debate by the way so can understand.
He decided to leave it this way. Headroom used the raw data from Tyll and made software that gave more compensation options.

Top Bottom