• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Initial Impressions of Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Open

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I just thought I would share my initial impressions, as they arrived yesterday, along with a new RME ADI-2 DAC, and I'm so happy with both. I purchased the headphones from headphones.com, and the DAC from rme-shop.com. Both shipped promptly and with good communication.

I'm not really a headphone person, but these are really nice to listen to. I've always found headphones to be uncomfortable after a few hours - I have a long head and have always had to adjust the cups to the longest position, and with some (Sennheiser Momentum and B&W) I've had to bend the bands for them to be comfortable. For that reason I've stuck with using Airpod Pros, and all the rest sit in a cupboard. That view has now changed.

I took the Aeon2's to work today and have spent 8 hours with them, and my head doesn't hurt, my ears weren't pinched, and the music sounded great. I wasn't wearing glasses. I did the 'Welcome to Qobuz' playlist, so a wide range of music. I never thought they sounded too much or overpowering. They do leak sound, so not something you can listen to in crowded spaces, but I knew that before I bought them.

Visually they're gorgeous. (I'm a designer and engineer, so this is where I can be comfortable commenting). The red is subtle and deep. The shape is distinctive and functional. The mechanism for how they collapse is very simple and clever, but should be reliable as it's well built.

The fit and finish of the components is really nice, no sharp edges from molding split lines or burrs. Adjustments are smooth and don't creep. The band has more room to adjust, even for my big head. The hex and foam on the open version look very high-tech.

I've nothing really to compare the cord to, and while it is thick I didn't find it heavy or too stiff - the Momentum is cable is more like a standard cord.

Fitting the cord to the headphones is easy, although the Hirose connectors do need careful alignment, twisting to get the keying right. They feel nice and secure, and disconnecting is deliberate and easy. I wasn't sure of the left/right connection, but assumed the small red band went on the right. I did not have any problems with them interfering with my collar or shoulders.

It's a tight fit getting everything into the storage pouch of the case but I'm sure that will be easier with practice.

I'm dying to see how they were put together, but will resist. Will share some detailed pictures though if anyone is interested.

I should also mention that @Dan-Clark has been great answering questions about his phones via PM.

RB23

Please do share the detailed pictures and impressions after the first 30 days. I’m trying to decide between the open and closed versions.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I got the DCA AEON 2 Noires last week and love them. They are by far the best CB headphones I have ever listened to. I’ll be getting the AEON 2 Open in a few months :)

Top Bottom