• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Information Processing By The Brain

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Does that include to one's self? :rolleyes:

I find the GPS intrusive and distracting. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't ever recall turning down the radio in such circumstances. I would say I ignore it at those times and may not much hear it. I suppose I turned it down in my head instead of in the physical world. I've even have found at times certain sounds or even music channel a mood or turn of mind I need when figuring something out. I wouldn't say I've never made my environs quiet to concentrate, but maybe I don't do it as much as some people. I just tune the other stuff out anyway instead.

Now my brother in law quite often is talking to you as he drives. And drives right on by where we were headed. Even when I tried to interrupt him or get his attention he was oblivious. He definitely needed to turn himself down when he drove.

This article seemed more interesting. Do we grow from adversity? I think we grow from experience. I couldn't always say adversity helped. In fact maybe we grow the most being a ringside witness when others have adversity. That seemed a better way to benefit form dire circumstances if you asked me. As I age I may even think adversity has a additive growing negative effect.

https://theconversation.com/do-we-actually-grow-from-adversity-122252

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The first time I received a call on my new work cell phone while in a rental car it was very disorienting.

I nearly had to pull over.

It was a straight six eight lane highway (Florida Turnpike) with only a moderate amount of traffic (for the Miami area). I think it someplace that borders the Everglades on the west.

Crazy.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Lot's of evidence that conversations whilst driving distract people, on phones or in the car.
https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/03/0...passengers-both-lead-distracted-driving-12663

I turn music off as I get close to a destination with satnav on, when the instructions get close together.

I write code more efficiently with music on.
Yes it's something to do with how much of our CPU is consumed while it processes language.

While the law In the UK fixates on mobile phone used in the car it's not the phone or holding it that's the real problem, it's the conversation you're having regardless of whether it's on the phone or with a passenger, hands free or not. All just as bad.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes it's something to do with how much of our CPU is consumed while it processes language.

While the law In the UK fixates on mobile phone used in the car it's not the phone or holding it that's the real problem, it's the conversation you're having regardless of whether it's on the phone or with a passenger, hands free or not. All just as bad.

I remember reading this when it came out...

Hard to succintly summarize, but basically people together in a car tend to synchronize their activities and communication in relation to the conditions. Roughly...they will all naturally stop talking when in the intersection, etc.

Screenshot of first couple of pages.

Thought it was interesting...

Screenshot_20191118-134135.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom