• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Information about Kef Coda II

SimonSB

Hi all,

Just a quick post to ask whether any of you have any information (even anecdotal evidence) about the performance of the a pair of speakers someone has offered me, along with some background.

I am currently using a pair of Tannoy Mercury M1 bookshelf speakers, and I don't really like them. At low to moderate volumes, various resonances dominate the listening experience. Plugging the port didn't do a whole lot. The other day, I was offered a pair of Kef Coda II's, and I wondered whether they were any good. I know my first port of call should be an A/B test, but the trouble is I'd need to get two enormous boxes down a ladder (they're in an attic) and I am feeling a bit lazy for that right now :).

Instead, I looked both speakers up online. Nothing. Well, they do both feature on a WhatHifi 'greatest speakers of all time' list, not that this really means much. I suppose they both predate the internet's ubiquity.

I suppose I have nothing to lose for taking the plunge (except maybe my toe if I drop the things), but I ask your advice regardless, just in case they are particularly terrible and this is a complete waste of time.

Thanks in advance for your toleration of this thread's banality
SImon

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Introduced 40 years ago! :D
KEF-CODA-II-SP3004-HiFi-Stereo-Bookshelf-Speakers.jpg

KEF Coda II.jpg

https://us.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-...r-ii-caprice-ii-carlton-ii-concerto-ii-carina

Coda II (1981-83)
The original Coda was KEF’s entry-level loudspeaker that established a strong reputation for offering high performance in a compact package at an affordable price. The Coda II continued this tradition, being a high quality bookshelf system incorporating many of the benefits of KEF’s advanced acoustics technology. The Coda II was able to dramatically improve the quality of reproduction from any ‘rack’ system or music centre particularly in regard to fine detail and tonal balance. Its high sensitivity and benign impedance characteristic would assure high volume levels with the minimum of distortion even with low powered amplifiers.
Specification: Coda II
System Type: Two-way, bookshelf/stand-mount
Enclosure type: Closed box
Size: 470 x 280 x 217mm (18.5 x 11 x 8.5 inches)
Weight: 7 kg (15.3 lb)
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Rated maximum power: 50W programme
Frequency response: 65-20,000Hz +/-3.0dB at 2m on design axis (-10dB at 45Hz and 25kHz)
Sensitivity: 87dB at 1m for a pink noise input of 1W (anechoic conditions)
Maximum output: 104dB on programme peaks under typical listening conditions
Finishes: Black or simulated walnut veneer
Grille: Textile
System: SP3004
Drive units: B200 bass unit (SP1084), T33 tweeter (SP1081)
Crossover: SP2004

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kef_coda_ii_2_sp3004.html

You can download the spec sheet from KEF here:
https://us.kef.com/pub/media/pdf/Coda_II.pdf

Random youtube video and "sound demo" (lol), but you can get a look at a pair with some closeups:

Even if they were treated lovingly, they will likely require some work after so many years. Personally, I'd take the effort to get them out of the attic simply for curiosity's sake/nostalgia, but KEF has had a warm place in my heart since I first heard the Reference 107 in 1987. I purchased and still own a fair number of speakers from KEF hahaha!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Random youtube video and "sound demo" (lol)

My theory is people post these horrible sounding Youtube potato recordings of speakers so nobody will want to buy them 2nd hand. Then they pick them up cheaply. ;)

OP
S

SimonSB

Hi all,

Apologies for the late reply; I forgot I had asked the question!

I'm most grateful of the research you have done - your search engine skills must be better than mine. I didn't realise they were so old! Unlikely to replace my mains anytime soon, then :)

Out of interest, what kind of work are they likely to need? I took them anyway, but haven't tested anything yet. The woofers seem fine; the foam surrounds haven't perished and they move freely, however whatever coating was on the tweeters is no more, so they look a bit rough. Should the cabinets and crossovers be ok?

And no, I still have no idea what I am going to use them for, but another pair of speakers cannot possibly be a bad thing!

Thanks in advance,
Simon

kwsmith

I just found this website/forum today and registered, so my inputs here may not be relevant, and definitely not timely. I bought KEF Coda III speakers back in 1983 using my first income tax refund money. I paired them with a Luxman receiver and Luxman turntable. At that time, the KEF Coda was a popular speaker used by recording studios in their control rooms for playback. These speakers continue to have great sound. They are a really good upper end speaker.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
The later-generation Coda's are really good - I have the 7s, which have very natural sound and surprisingly good bass for such a small speaker. Rubber surrounds too, so no foam rot. Currently out of my rotation but they always come back in eventually. The cabinets are fairly lightweight too so easier to move around. Will sound their best on stands.

Top Bottom