• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Info. on new Matrix Audio mini-i

mdl

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
Reactions: mdl

Wolvebain

Hi rich,
i agree. it's not just a marketing thing...(who doesn't fall for that now and then). Realistically,with time...I'm leaning towards Qubuz for the quality of its repertoire, the stability of the app and somehow it sounds better. I have been on tidal for almost 12 months then off...then on again with the promotional 3 months. I am digesting without a hurry the best course of action. Even without having a very trained or refined ear, I can definitely perceive the step up between 16 bit 44.1 and 24 bit 48Khz... I take that having all these new possibilities it's a quite a new era for music lovers!
How is the Qobuz catalog compared to Tidal?
Qobuz is not available in my country, sadly....

Even tho I could trial it via VPN during the XMas to New Year break... it would become bothersome as a perm replacement of Tidal, considering I use Tidal on my tablet/phone/etc.

PortableMusic

my limited understanding of Tidal versus Qobuz is this:

while Tidal has many more tracks/albums, it might be the case that Qobuz has more tracks in the genre(s) that interests oneself, so it's unclear who has more that i'd be interested in. suffice it to say that i've had Tidal for 1 1/2 months now (merely!), and it has far more music that i'm interested in than i can consume.

the last time i looked it up, Tidal has far more subscribers than Qobuz (multiples more). this, to me, implies possibly greater stability of Tidal as an ongoing business, though not certain at all. once i decide on one service that i like, i'd like it to not go out of business, of course! so to me, personally, Tidal satisfies me currently, and seems like it may have a higher likelihood of staying in business - just a guess.

mdl

@MatrixAudio hi matrix. any updates on your dealings with tidal for tidal connect for the matrix mini 3 i pro ? I hope you had some luck :)) thank you for being so kind with us!

Tanner

@mdl i believe in an earlier post was stated by matrixaudio that is unlikely for tidal connect.
but @MatrixAudio do we at least have a timeline for roon approval?

mdl

@mdl i believe in an earlier post was stated by matrixaudio that is unlikely for tidal connect.
but @MatrixAudio do we at least have a timeline for roon approval?
Well actually not quite what they said. They suggested that they are in touch with Tidal.
MatrixAudio said:
You might misunderstood us, we are still evaluating the possiblities of implementing Tidal Connect to mini-i series products, not started the implement yet.

PortableMusic

i'm hoping for Matrix Audio to take the new upcoming ES9068PRO version of their 9068 chip and produce a new, superior model of their Mini line of DACs.

all the PRO versions of the ESS chips are superior with 8 channels, etc.

for me, going to the Pro3 is a lateral move, which i don't want. i want an improvement, so i have no choice but to wait for the 9068PRO chips to come out so i may have a clear upgrade and not merely a lateral move.

mash

I am also in the marget to buy a streaming box for my whole house system and I'm really struggling with where Matrix is with its current line up. I primarily listen to Tidal and secodarily listen to my own flac library. I've also decided that I want to start down the Roon path. The mini-i 3 pro seems like the perfect box for what I want but the lack of Roon certification combined with no Tidal connect is a killer. I could live with using it in a sub optimal configuration (no Roon RAAT)....if I had a way to stream Tidal while I wait for them to get their Roon certification. Right now, I don't see how I would do that with the mini-i, given that I'm not a fan of using bluetooth and there isn't really an easy way to get a PC next to where I'd physically have to put the streamer. I also don't need a straight USB DAC....which I could use the mini for while I wait for Matrix to get its Tidal streaming act together.

I would look at the element-i but then I would be giving up MQA and the element-m is more than I wanted to spend

All of this would be livable if I thought they were close to Roon certification on the mini but the fact that they seem to have been struggling with this going all the way back to Sept/Oct doesn't inspire confidence that its coming any day now.

All-in-All very frustrating and has me starting to look more seriously at other boxes.

Tanner

Well actually not quite what they said. They suggested that they are in touch with Tidal.
MatrixAudio said:
You might misunderstood us, we are still evaluating the possiblities of implementing Tidal Connect to mini-i series products, not started the implement yet.

you are quite right, but a couple of posts after said and i quote:
"Till now we haven't get any technical details about Tidal Connect, so it's not sure if it could be integrated to any of our products by firmware update."

but still, i dont know, and if they could it wont be any time soon i suppose.

yyzsb

@MatrixAudio Any estimate for when ROON Certification happens for the mini-i 3 Pro I am stuck using the the Tidal app on Windows 10 with TOSLINK. Come on Matrix let's get this going.

mash

Ok, one other possibility that I could try would be to temporarily co-locate my Roon core server and the Mini Pro 3 next to each other. The thought being that I would then direct attach (via USB) the Mini-i Pro 3 to my Roon core server. Does anyone know if I can go USB out from an Intel NUC core server running Rock...and have Roon recognize the mini? i.e. are there default ROCK drivers for the Pro 3? or, if I have to use special MA drivers, does MA provie oones that would work on Rock?

Last edited:

yyzsb

I have a computer close to my Matrix (in my office). I have connected a TOSLINK and streaming using the TIDAL and Amazon apps. However, in an hour or so I will get a USB-C to USB-A cable from Best Buy and see if my Sonore microRendu can connect to the Matrix. If so then my computer does not need to touch the Matrix.

yyzsb

Thanks. I actually got my Matrix working with my iPhone and AirPplay2 enabled on ROON. So I am able to use ROON now. It sounds pretty good but once ROON READY is done on the DAC I will switch to RJ45.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
@MatrixAudio Sorry I should have been more clear. What I was asking was whether the Balanced XLR output support the AES48 standard for balanced connections. I was not referring to the digital inputs.
Dear yyzsb
Sorry I'm not sure if I understood your question. We studied the AES48-2019 standars document just now, it's a ducument that describes: Shields of connectors in audio equipment containing active circuitry. I can confirm that the aluminium case of mini-i Pro 3 is connected to the ground. It is connected to the ground terminal of power cable. As well as the GND of XLR output ports.
Just like the diagram in AES48-2019 standard document shown below.

Hope it's useful for you.

微信图片_20201224161323.png

Top Bottom