• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Info. on new Matrix Audio mini-i

mash

agreed...Roon implementation was beautiful. You can play MQAs or hires and it was done really well but you need to invest hundreds of dollars for the software and more for a core. I've tried using my wife mac as a core but it's not feasible. for the same money i could acquire a better item which has embedded tidal connect (although roon search capability and AI are brilliant).
I'll be happy to stick to spotify connect hi res

I used Spotify and Sonos for many years but switched over to Tidal/Roon last year. I Love Roon although its certainly not cheap. t am only so/so on Tidal and still keep my Spotify subscription for music exploration and Carplay integration. I really only use Tidal for its hi-rez support and its integration with Roon. If Spotify goes Hi-Res (and does a good job with it), I'll reconsider how I'm using Spotify/Tidal. The consequnces of that decision might mean rethinking Roon and maybe even some of my hardware (unless the Mini-i adds support for Spotify Connect).

Alternatively, If Apple adds hi-rez support to Airplay that might create some additional options (like using the Mini-i and streaming Roon/Spotify through Airplay).

mdl

I used Spotify and Sonos for many years but switched over to Tidal/Roon last year. I Love Roon although its certainly not cheap. t am only so/so on Tidal and still keep my Spotify subscription for music exploration and Carplay integration. I really only use Tidal for its hi-rez support and its integration with Roon. If Spotify goes Hi-Res (and does a good job with it), I'll reconsider how I'm using Spotify/Tidal. The consequnces of that decision might mean rethinking Roon and maybe even some of my hardware (unless the Mini-i adds support for Spotify Connect).

Alternatively, If Apple adds hi-rez support to Airplay that might create some additional options (like using the Mini-i and streaming Roon/Spotify through Airplay).
@mash Mind reader:))) I've found no evidence that apple is working on hi rez...i have a iphone 6 used just to drive airplay2 into the matrix.

yyzsb

hi,
no, i doesn't stream on android. only Bluetooth up to 96Khz.
and yes, streaming on airplay 2 is flawless but limited to CD quality (no hi res)

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/matrix-audio-mini-i-pro-3-third-time-s-a-charm/

"The Bluetooth part is also impressive, it has the latest version 5.0 and it supports all major audio codecs as AAC, SBC, AptX, AptX-HD and LDAC for up to 990 kB/s data transfer. It’s antenna on the back works as a wireless booster so the operating distance is somewhere between 10 and 15 meters, depending on how many walls are between it and the sender. "

If Android supports any of the codecs listed above you can stream using an Android device.

BTW - I no longer need my DAC and I will be selling my 3 month old Mini-i-3 Pro. I need to place an ad somewhere.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/matrix-audio-mini-i-pro-3-third-time-s-a-charm/

"The Bluetooth part is also impressive, it has the latest version 5.0 and it supports all major audio codecs as AAC, SBC, AptX, AptX-HD and LDAC for up to 990 kB/s data transfer. It’s antenna on the back works as a wireless booster so the operating distance is somewhere between 10 and 15 meters, depending on how many walls are between it and the sender. "

If Android supports any of the codecs listed above you can stream using an Android device.

BTW - I no longer need my DAC and I will be selling my 3 month old Mini-i-3 Pro. I need to place an ad somewhere.
Smart phones with Android syatem later than 8.0 usually supports LDAC, some of the Android phone supports aptX or aptX HD.

mdl

Not sure if Bluetooth transfer is "streaming" per se...maybe my interpretation:) I used to think that streaming is only via Wifi/LAN...

mash

How much are you looking to get for your Mini-i 3 pro? PM me or send me a link to your listing.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I use Qobuz/Roon. To me, the usability enhancement of Roon already justifies the cost. I also use Spotify, but mostly in the car only. For music discovery, Spotify's Al Gore Rhythm is slightly better than that of Roon, but it does not organize my music nearly as well.

Unless Spotify integrates with Roon, I just cannot take it seriously.

While Spotify has a larger library than Qobuz or Tidal, but frequently if something I want is not available on Qobuz I will have to buy a CD off ebay anyway.

vlydog

Hello, ASR community. I am a new member who is also new to the headphone audio world. I am considering the Matrix mini-i Pro 3.

I'm the type of person who does exhaustive research on everything that I purchase and I enjoy hunting down products that are going to give me the best possible performance for the money I spend. I had almost made up my mind to purchase the mini-i Pro 3 until this thread caused me to slow down and reconsider.

My intentions were to stream with Tidal using my MacBook Pro as my source component. I am already a Tidal subscriber but I couldn't take full advantage of the MQA Master quality feature using my current set-up; thus the search began.

Is it my understanding that I would not be able to enjoy full MQA capabilities streaming from the MQA app on the Macbook with a USB connection?

I do not have or do I plan on purchasing and using Roon.

Should I consider ditching Tidal and subscribing to another streaming source?

Have I placed too much importance on MQA?

I would welcome your advice and feedback.

Thank you.

curiouspeter

Hello, ASR community. I am a new member who is also new to the headphone audio world. I am considering the Matrix mini-i Pro 3.

I'm the type of person who does exhaustive research on everything that I purchase and I enjoy hunting down products that are going to give me the best possible performance for the money I spend. I had almost made up my mind to purchase the mini-i Pro 3 until this thread caused me to slow down and reconsider.

My intentions were to stream with Tidal using my MacBook Pro as my source component. I am already a Tidal subscriber but I couldn't take full advantage of the MQA Master quality feature using my current set-up; thus the search began.

Is it my understanding that I would not be able to enjoy full MQA capabilities streaming from the MQA app on the Macbook with a USB connection?

Thank you.

You can use an MQA-capable DAC with your Macbook Pro and enjoy what Tidal has to offer.

Why are you considering the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 if you are connecting it to a Macbook Pro? You pay a lot for the streaming features in the Matrix. Something like the SMSL M500 or the Pro-ject Pre Box S2 costs less than half as much.

What genres do you like? I switched from Tidal to Qobuz because the latter had a better Classical collection. Tidal may have more albums in other genres. Also, both services keep adding stuff all the time.

I would not totally ignore MQA. Even Qobuz has stealth MQA content. Who knows, if MQA takes off it can penetrate other places. I would try to get a DAC that is at least a "renderer" if not a full decoder. The iFi Zen DAC is very affordable. I do not own one but I have a NEO iDSD from the same company. They have good products even though they use Burr Brown chips.

yyzsb

Thank you.
Yes, you can get full MQA on Ethernet. The Ethernet may have also had the most features enabled on the Matrix, such as the album art display. I used the Matrix for most headphones with the rally good Topping A90 ($450) headphone amp. I packed both of these up to give to a friend but I would not have done so if it was not very good gear.

MQA is overrated in my opinion and I do not go to any extra lengths to support it. My main 2 DACs, Benchmark DAC3B and an AudioMirror Tubadour III SE, both do not support MQA and I have no issue with that. My lesser sounding internal DAC on mu KRELL k-300i does support MQA but it is not in the same class as the other 2 DACs.

vlydog

Thank you @curiouspeter and @yyzsb I appreciate your response and advice.

I am a serious noob who probably won't be able to answer all of your questions intelligently; still learning. That is why I need your help.

I should also add that my budget threshold is 1.5K on either an all-in-one or a separate DAC/AMP stack.

My 1st choice would still be to use the MacBook and take full advantage of MQA.

I also will be using HD 6XX headphones/

yyzsb

Using a computer will not sound good the electrical noise on the computer will be audible in the speakers. The Matrix Pro (I bought for $750 new) and the Topping A90 would be well under you budget and sound almost as good as a Benchmark HPA4 ($3000) and a Benchmark DAC3B ($1700).

I am a little busy to talk about this now but cam do so later today

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/topping-a90-review-resetting-the-trend/

mash

You have several input options for getting music into the Mini-i. First, you can stream via Airplay. This option is via a wireless connection and is mainly for people using Apple portable sources. Second, you can stream via Bluetooth...this option is also for wireless connections and is mainly for people with portable Android or Windows sources. Third, you can stream Roon RAAT over a network. RAAT is typically via a hard wire connection. Forth, you can play music via a direct digital connection (USB or other supported digital inputs). Fifth, there is a single set of R/L analog inputs on the back that could be direct connected to any source that can output to the Mini-i's RCA inputs.

MQA is definitely supported via Roon/RAAT (typically wired connection) and I know it is supported via a Windows PC USB connection. I would think it also works via Mac USB (I just haven't tested this). I do not believe it is supported via Airplay or Bluetooth and there is no reason to support it via the analog input. One other MQA note the Mini-i supports MQA Decoding only (It is not a Renderer).

Agree with the previous comment that if you aren't going to use it for the streaming options (in particular, Airplay or Roon), there are better values for non-streaming USB DACs. The big question for you will be....do you go for an all-in-one that also adds headphone support (e.g. SMSL M500) or do you need/want a two box option like the Topping D70S/A30Pro or A90.

I actually own a Mini-i 3Pro for use in my living room and am very happy with it....but I use it for Roon streaming. I also have Topping D90 in my office system that I use for a USB DAC run off of my PC and am equally happy with that purchase.

one other comment....I was originally concerned about streaming via my PC until I read the following article by a reviewer that is often favorably discussed on this site:

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/12/measurements-intel-i7-pc-and-raspberry.html

yyzsb

Using a computer will not sound good the electrical noise on the computer will be audible in the speakers. The Matrix Pro (I bought for $750 new) and the Topping A90 would be well under you budget and sound almost as good as a Benchmark HPA4 ($3000) and a Benchmark DAC3B ($1700).

I am a little busy to talk about this now but cam do so later today

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/topping-a90-review-resetting-the-trend/

I should add that I use a PC to stream (along with iPhone, MAC) but not direct computer USB connection to a DAC. I use Sonore OpticalRendu (2 of them using RAAT) and also Ethernet streaming via RAAT. That direct connection is what I am saying was not that good.

vlydog

Another of my main objectives is to keep things as simple as possible. To be clear, I have a MacBook Pro using WiFI in my home. I do not have a hardwired ethernet connection. If I continue to go this route, I am hearing that I do not need a DAC with streaming capabilities; is this correct?

I would do whatever within reason to benefit from the full sonic capabilities of MQA Master.

I hear you about the USB direct connection from the computer to DAC but without spending more money I don't know any other option; again my own lack of expertise is holding me back.

yyzsb

I have streaming all over my house with a wired connection. I have a router in my upstairs office with a network switch with Fibre Optical support. I have my ROON CORE server in another room. I have my KRELL K-300i integrated (with the Ethernet streaming) downstairs in the family room. I also have a MacMini with wired streaming but that is only for TV. All of these are wired but I do not have Ethernet wires all over the house.

The way this is all connected is using a TP-Link PowerLine adapter (I have 4 of them) that are plugged into my copper electrical outlets. These 4 devices are part of my Ethernet network in the house. The PowerLine stuff cost about $60 for a set of 2.

I did not use WiFi on the Matrix Mini Pro. The WiFi works until it does not and then it is all a bunch of garbled sound requiring a reboot.

curiouspeter

I have streaming all over my house with a wired connection. I have a router in my upstairs office with a network switch with Fibre Optical support. I have my ROON CORE server in another room. I have my KRELL K-300i integrated (with the Ethernet streaming) downstairs in the family room. I also have a MacMini with wired streaming but that is only for TV. All of these are wired but I do not have Ethernet wires all over the house.

The way this is all connected is using a TP-Link PowerLine adapter (I have 4 of them) that are plugged into my copper electrical outlets. These 4 devices are part of my Ethernet network in the house. The PowerLine stuff cost about $60 for a set of 2.

I did not use WiFi on the Matrix Mini Pro. The WiFi works until it does not and then it is all a bunch of garbled sound requiring a reboot.
How is the power line network? Do that all need to share the same circuit?

yyzsb

The PowerLine network is great. I run my home office out of here. I forgot to mention that I have a PowerLine child adapter in my garage too and I have 3 big servers down there. All work perfectly without any interruptions (knock on wood). I imagine my electrical circuit is the same for all these adapters. The adapters are in the following rooms:

1) Parent adapter is in the upstairs room next to my office and connected by Ethernet wire from my router.
2) Child adapter in the Living Room (KRELL K-300i integrated amp with internal DAC)
3) Child adapter in the Family Room (MacMini for TV streaming)
4) Child adapter in wife's office, child's Zoom room (ROON Core server)
5) Child adapter in the garage for my business servers.

I tried to keep the adapter free of other electrics items. Though the newer adapters seem to work fine sharing an outlet. In fact 3/5 adapters I have share the outlet with another item.

Last edited:

vlydog

I received the following email response from Matrix Audio:

Thank you so much for your patience.
Mini-i Pro3 has been certified by Roon Labs as Roon Ready device on Jan 27, check here to see detailed news https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/news/20210127526.html

Also, you can find mini-i pro3 on Roon Lab's official partner page. https://roonlabs.com/partners/matrixaudio

So back to the original question. If I purchase this unit and subscribe to Roon, can I stream Tidal directly from the mini-i without using my MacBook Pro?

Please bear with me; I am learning with each passing day.

For now, I would have to use Wi-Fi as I have no ethernet jack hardwired.

Can someone describe how my system would work, or look like, using the mini-i?

Thank you.

mash

Short answer is yes. You'll need the Mac or another client to control the playback but they won't be in the "streaming path". Note that there are several steps required to get there.........

Step 1 will be setting up your roon core server. Roon is whole house music control software that requires a central server. All music that is controlled via roon plays from/through the roon core server to a series of roon endpoint devices located through your house. The roon core server can run as a process on an existing PC/server (for example, you macbook pro) or it can run on a dedicated small server. One of the more popular approaches for setting up a roon core server is to "build" a small server onthe Intel "NUC" platform and run roon "Rock" as the OS. There are very detailed steps/guides out there for setting up a core server on a NUC. I use a dedicated NUC, others run theirs double-duty on existing PCs. You can always start with running it on an existing PC and then move to a dedicated server.

Step 2 will be setting up Tidal within your Roon server so that Roon can "manage" your Tidal library and playback. This is pretty straightforward. Note that you can also import local music files into your roon library which roon will visually merge with your Tidal content as part of its controller/playback software.

Step 3 will be setting up your roon endpoints. Your Macbook can server both as your controller (admin UI) and an independent endpoint (via roon bridge which is installed with the controller). Your Mini-i would be a second endpoint. Both endpoints can play music independently or in a roon group. Setting up endpoints is relatively easy. Once you've attached you Mini-i to the network, roon will see it. There are a couple of simple admin steps that you will need to do in the core server (via the controller software) to enable the device for use in Roon.

Note 2 - Network.....Roon likes bandwidth. It expects/recommends a wired connection between the core server and its endpoints. That said, the core server TYPICALLY uses a protocol called RAAT to talk to the endpoints (it can use other protocols) that will run over any lan connection (wireless or wired). Many people have success within their house using wireless connections for endpoint but its not a sure thing....i.e. your mileage may vary.

Note 3 - Roon does cost money. Its subscription based or their is a lifetime fee option.....but, its not cheap. I love roon but its only going to be worth it if you truly want to use the core features of roon (library management, whole house control). If you are using it just to provide connectivity/streaming support its going to be overkill and likelt not worth cost and the effort to setup.

Top Bottom