• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Info. on new Matrix Audio mini-i

somy

I am also in the marget to buy a streaming box for my whole house system and I'm really struggling with where Matrix is with its current line up. I primarily listen to Tidal and secodarily listen to my own flac library. I've also decided that I want to start down the Roon path. The mini-i 3 pro seems like the perfect box for what I want but the lack of Roon certification combined with no Tidal connect is a killer. I could live with using it in a sub optimal configuration (no Roon RAAT)....if I had a way to stream Tidal while I wait for them to get their Roon certification. Right now, I don't see how I would do that with the mini-i, given that I'm not a fan of using bluetooth and there isn't really an easy way to get a PC next to where I'd physically have to put the streamer. I also don't need a straight USB DAC....which I could use the mini for while I wait for Matrix to get its Tidal streaming act together.

I would look at the element-i but then I would be giving up MQA and the element-m is more than I wanted to spend

All of this would be livable if I thought they were close to Roon certification on the mini but the fact that they seem to have been struggling with this going all the way back to Sept/Oct doesn't inspire confidence that its coming any day now.

All-in-All very frustrating and has me starting to look more seriously at other boxes.
For a streamer I’d recommend look elsewhere. Just search for users with software problems with their element x/m/i. What worries me is not the issues themselves, but the luck of commitment to fix those issues. BTW they also seem to put wrong wireless card in element x/m which shows how serious they are to their products.

yyzsb

For a streamer I’d recommend look elsewhere. Just search for users with software problems with their element x/m/i. What worries me is not the issues themselves, but the luck of commitment to fix those issues. BTW they also seem to put wrong wireless card in element x/m which shows how serious they are to their products.

I just sold my Benchmark DAC3B and put my bedroom DAC the Matrix Mini-i 3Pro into the spot that the DA3B had. This is temporary until I get a AudioByte VOX. At the moment I have 2 options to stream ROON and TIDAL perfectly with the Matrix. I used either AirPlay2 as a ROON Zone and also my 5 year old Sonore micrRendu. Surprisingly they both sound the same. The AIrPlay2 Zone shows the nice graphics on the GUI the microRendu Zone does not. I am waiting on ROON READY also but I cannot complain about how this is working at the moment.

usern

Is it possible to transmit bluetooth signal with Mini-i Pro 3 (additionally to receiving)?

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
Is it possible to transmit bluetooth signal with Mini-i Pro 3 (additionally to receiving)?

No, BT input only. As its main job is being a DAC, you want it to provide an analog signal anyway.
At least for me, I dont ask the butcher for living animals.

Celty

I think I would purchase this product if it worked with Android for streaming rather than being Apple oriented

Wolvebain

From what I see, this seems to be a bug; either on Roon or the Mini-i Pro3 (maybe both?)
The reason I say that is that if I set the device up MQA Decoder and Render, I also get the same as you.. sometimes!
For those interested, this bug was on when I connected the Mini-i Pro3 to a RoPieee endpoint (Pi4b 4GB).

When I used Raspberry Pi OS on the same Pi4b or used a Lattepanda Delta with RoonBridge, not issues: Signal Path for MQA shows consistantly as Lossless.

boblo

Hi!

I'm interested in this device, but I don't know if it is suitable for me. Excuse me if this has been asked before, but it's not clear for me:

- I have a 2.4GHz PLC WiFi extender with Ethernet port. Could I connect the extender to the Mini via Ethernet in order to receive MQA and non MQA streams from Tidal? This Ethernet extender is connected to my router/modem, of course. Keep in mind that I'm not a Roon-oriented user and I don't want to use my computer for streaming. I know that MQA streaming is not possible via WiFi, but I don't know if it is with Ethernet in this way (not directly connected to the router).

- Can the Mini play non-MQA streams via WiFi? I mean not only Tidal streams, but also Hi-Res FLAC files at 96kHz sample rate or higher. I would like not to use the BT connection of my Android phone, because LDAC cannot stream content with sample rate higher than 96kHz.

- I have read that the Mini is not DLNA enabled, so is there any way to read my library stored on a portable hard drive with the BubbleUPnP app? I would use my Nvidia Shield TV as musical server (the hard drive would be connected to my Shield) with the BubbleUPnP server app running. I know that the Matrix Element I can do this because is DLNA enabled, but the Element I cannot decode MQA.

Thanks for any input.

usern

Can the Mini play non-MQA streams via WiFi? I mean not only Tidal streams, but also Hi-Res FLAC files at 96kHz sample rate or higher. I would like not to use the BT connection of my Android phone, because LDAC cannot stream content with sample rate higher than 96kHz.
Seems that it currently supports only AirPlay 2 and Roon over ethernet.
No, BT input only. As its main job is being a DAC, you want it to provide an analog signal anyway.
At least for me, I dont ask the butcher for living animals.
I want to buy a device that can power wired headphones from PC and also transmit to BT headphones. Many DACs have BT chip, but transmit option is not implemented, probably due to licensing costs. As it is, I have to use separate BT transmitter, but I would gladly pay extra cost of BT transmission functionality that is integrated to a DAC / AMP combo.

yyzsb

I think I would purchase this product if it worked with Android for streaming rather than being Apple oriented

I does say in the documentation that it supports streaming on Android. I have not tried it yet but it does stream well with AirPlay 2.

The soundnews.net review also states support for Android.

mdl

@MatrixAudio
Hi, any chance to give us an update on the timescales of items 1 and 2 below? We have been left in the blind.
We would be REALLY happy to know you are progressing those two items as the resources dedicated to Roon certification are now been freed (and well done on making the Mini I pro 3 roon ready).

1. Spotify connect implementation for Mini I 3 -pro
  2. Tidal connect implementation for Mini I 3 -pro

Have a great day

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
@MatrixAudio
Hi, any chance to give us an update on the timescales of items 1 and 2 below? We have been left in the blind.
We would be REALLY happy to know you are progressing those two items as the resources dedicated to Roon certification are now been freed (and well done on making the Mini I pro 3 roon ready).

1. Spotify connect implementation for Mini I 3 -pro
  2. Tidal connect implementation for Mini I 3 -pro

Have a great day

Hi mdl,
1. We will try to implement Spotify Connect to the element series first, and then we can evaluate if it is possible to implement on mini-i Pro 3.
2. We just signed licence agreement with Tidal for Tidal Connect, but we haven't get any technical details about it. We are not able to evaluate the possibilities of implementing Tidal Connect on mini-i 3 series products.
Thank you so much!

mash

New firmware is now available for automated download. Roon RAAT is now implemented and showing up in Roon. Note that you need to restart Roon Core for the Mini-i to show properly....I'm now fully running RAAT with MQA and album artwork showing up on the Mini-i!

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
New firmware is now available for automated download. Roon RAAT is now implemented and showing up in Roon. Note that you need to restart Roon Core for the Mini-i to show properly....I'm now fully running RAAT with MQA and album artwork showing up on the Mini-i!
Now all we need is a review by @amirm

mdl

Hi mdl,
1. We will try to implement Spotify Connect to the element series first, and then we can evaluate if it is possible to implement on mini-i Pro 3.
2. We just signed licence agreement with Tidal for Tidal Connect, but we haven't get any technical details about it. We are not able to evaluate the possibilities of implementing Tidal Connect on mini-i 3 series products.
Thank you so much!
@MatrixAudio
Hi Matrix.
spotify just announced they are going to hi res...the expectation from any customer would be to adopt spotify connect to any decent modern streamer as starter... (Bravo matrix! i trialled roon on the matrix sounds beautiful and works flawlessly although roon + core is a step too far for me)

can you please check if you can implement spotify connect at the same time as element implementation

https://www.whathifi.com/news/spotify-hi-fi-tier-finally-launching-to-offer-cd-quality-streaming
1614094206347.png

mash

This is another example of the evolving mess that content providers are creating. If you are building a streamer today, you have to support mutiple interfaces (Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, RAAT, AirPlay, Chromecast.......). Its really a kluge and we (the consumer) end up having to pay for it in the form of higher streamer prices and more complex implementations...with little benefit in return (i.e. its not like Spotify is going to do anything with its connect interface that Roon hasn't already done).

We desperately need a standardized interface for streamers that all of the software / content providers need to support. That said, I'm not holding my breath on that actually happening but it would certainly be a huge improvement over the current situation.

Celty

I does say in the documentation that it supports streaming on Android. I have not tried it yet but it does stream well with AirPlay 2.

The soundnews.net review also states support for Android.
Thanks for the info, guess I am confused now about what Apple vs. Android vs. Windows functionality is with this device?

mdl

Thanks for the info, guess I am confused now about what Apple vs. Android vs. Windows functionality is with this device?
hi,
no, i doesn't stream on android. only Bluetooth up to 96Khz.
and yes, streaming on airplay 2 is flawless but limited to CD quality (no hi res)

mdl

This is another example of the evolving mess that content providers are creating. If you are building a streamer today, you have to support mutiple interfaces (Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, RAAT, AirPlay, Chromecast.......). Its really a kluge and we (the consumer) end up having to pay for it in the form of higher streamer prices and more complex implementations...with little benefit in return (i.e. its not like Spotify is going to do anything with its connect interface that Roon hasn't already done).

We desperately need a standardised interface for streamers that all of the software / content providers need to support. That said, I'm not holding my breath on that actually happening but it would certainly be a huge improvement over the current situation.

agreed...Roon implementation was beautiful. You can play MQAs or hires and it was done really well but you need to invest hundreds of dollars for the software and more for a core. I've tried using my wife mac as a core but it's not feasible. for the same money i could acquire a better item which has embedded tidal connect (although roon search capability and AI are brilliant).
I'll be happy to stick to spotify connect hi res

Top Bottom