• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Influence of bad soldering jobs

hwlr

Hello everyone!

I just soldered a new connector to my headphones' cable and was wondering: is the quality of my... let's say perfectible :D solders influencing the sound?

I can't hear a difference, but the answer may be interesting from a technical point of view.

Thanks!

Katji

Major Contributor
This might be of interest to some...

1638788826516.png

1638788948867.png

This site contains only the NASA Workmanship Inspection Pictorial Reference
All other Workmanship Content has been moved to: https://nepp.nasa.gov/workmanship ------------>

1638789310651.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone!

I just soldered a new connector to my headphones' cable and was wondering: is the quality of my... let's say perfectible :D solders influencing the sound?

I can't hear a difference, but the answer may be interesting from a technical point of view.

Thanks!
If the solder wetted the ends that you are soldering together and there is not too much solder in the joint then it's likely a good joint that will sound fine.
If you want more solder training Pace Worldwide offers excellent training videos and fantastic quality made in the USA soldering equipment.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Unless there is a "cold joint" or "bridge traces" causing a short you won't hear a difference but there may be longer term reliability issues. Here is a link that has nice pictures and descriptions of common soldering issues https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems
Great link! I was telling my daughter about cold joints and wetting as we wired a new stereo into her old car. That's a wonderful reference with pictures & explanations of the common problems to avoid and how to fix them.

Last edited:

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The resistance can be measured. A multimeter can do that, mine can measure minimum 0.1 ohm at least. The connector adds some resistance and it is not pure copper.

Top Bottom