• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity RS152 Review (Surround Speaker)

prerich

I think Amirm does an outstanding job and deserves a Bravo Zulu for his efforts (that's naval jargon for well done). I understand that this particular speaker is different - but one questionable (that he labeled questionable with the panther he used) doesn't dismiss years of at-a-boys! I bought the Gustard x16 based on his review and I'm not disappointed at all!!! What I do question and it has nothing to do with Amirm...is the way people immediately down a product that the reviewer himself has questions about. Once again ...good job Amirm!

prerich

Delete that Audyssey midrange notch!
I usually get rid of midrange compensation as well. Some speaker manufacturers actually design it into the crossover ...often called the BBC dip.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I'll quit posting totally. I tried to delete my account, but seems like I'm not smart enough to do that.
Goodbye!
I guess I don’t really see the issue here. Amir rightfully stated in the review that the data here is incomplete to come to or draw any sort of conclusion. He didn’t give it a headless panther. He gave it a “Don’t know” panther.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
@richard12511 the issue is that he called ASR reviews shallow and superficial then praised Stereophile and Soundstage reviews as ‘golden’ and some hobby reviewers as really good. Basically putting ASR reviews on a lower tier.

Strangely, he was totally unprepared for a fairly strong challenge from Amir, packed his bag and left

goldenears

@amirm Don't be discouraged and keep fighting the good fight for objectivity in this crazy industry.

You do an amazing job, I love reading your measurements and comments about gear, and especially how it dovetails with the marketing-speak of the manufacturers!

Thank you so much.

H

Hifihedgehog

SCORE: -0.1
Wait? What? Negative score...

tenor.gif

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait? What? Negative score...

tenor.gif
See the Maggie LRS.

Amir shared with me a paper where they computed the score for differentiations electrostatics (like MartinLogan), and they all got negative scores. They are just so different/chaotic compared monopoles that the formula doesn't really work, the same can be said for this bipole surround which needs to be wall mounted (the main takeaway is the horizontal dispersion is not as advertised for the treble).

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
See the Maggie LRS.

Amir shared with me a paper where they computed the score for differentiations electrostatics (like MartinLogan), and they all got negative scores. They are just so different/chaotic compared monopoles that the formula doesn't really work, the same can be said for this dipole bipole surround which needs to be wall mounted (the main takeaway is the horizontal dispersion is not as advertised for the treble).
Fixed :)

H

Hifihedgehog

See the Maggie LRS.

Amir shared with me a paper where they computed the score for differentiations electrostatics (like MartinLogan), and they all got negative scores. They are just so different/chaotic compared monopoles that the formula doesn't really work, the same can be said for this bipole surround which needs to be wall mounted (the main takeaway is the horizontal dispersion is not as advertised for the treble).
Gotcha. :) Just so I am on the same page, what is the possible range of scores? Is it weighted to a -10 to +10 range?

Last edited by a moderator:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotcha. :) Just so I am on the same page, what is the possible range of scores? Is it weighted to a -10 to +10 range?

Theoretical max would be near infinite depending on how deep the bass gets. Theoretical min would also near negative infinity depending on how screwed up the FR is and how bass limited it is.

The D&D 8C broke my calculation as the LFX looks for -6dB in the bass, and at 20Hz it is still not down that much. Since Erin did not measure below 20Hz, I fixed it at 20Hz. So, score should be higher, but the formula wasn't made with powered subs in mind anyway.

For realistic monopoles though, it usually is roughly a 0-10 range.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
OK, I'll quit posting totally. I tried to delete my account, but seems like I'm not smart enough to do that.
Goodbye!

Man, just take a break to cool off for a bit. Yes, harsh words have been said, but... I don't see any reason why you should "quit" ASR. Take the reviews for what they are -- and, maybe try to be more charitable to your forum host. I can see why Amir would have been irked by the totally uncalled-for comparison at the end of that post -- oh, and, of course, we all already greatly appreciate napilopez and hardisj's contributions here as well. ;)

The information provided in these reviews are always invaluable, IMO, even if it may be not be as thorough or "deep" sometimes as one would personally like.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I will comment my exit this one time.

Even before Amir started testing speakers I presented (in his thread about starting or not) scepticism or even warning of opening and stepping in this can of worms and snakes, ie. criticism and strong opinions. An in my opinion my apocalypse has pretty much realized...

I am 60+ years old, have an academic degree and career, had audio (mostly hifi loudspeakers) as hobby since early 70's, including visiting shows, watching reviws with measurements in magazines, reading books and participating discussions. During those 50 years the basics remain, but now during the last 15 years also hobbyists like me can make measurements, analyze them with FFT software, and gradually learn personally to hear what changes/diffrences are audible (to you). As well internet forum discussions have been a major new source of information, helping to understand all this.

The decision to stop writing at ASR was easy, because the forum owner Amir asked me to do that if I can't give his contribution the value he wants, and stop criticising. My ideology and ethics is based on humanity, honesty, mutual respect and tolerance to different opinions. If I am asked to stop being critical - so long, I don't want to contribute. Living 20+ years next to Soviet Union teached me to keep my mouth shut, if I want to prevent "big brother" from entering my brains...

Juhazi, "major contributor"

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, they arrived.

I did some MMM measurements of my existing Fluance XLBP surrounds (Pink Noise, 200Hz-2kHz, 1/24 RTA, 26382 FFT, Hann, 50%), let me know if I should change anything so I can re-measure before swapping to the RS152.

Fluance XLBP (3).png

I normalized them to the average SPL 300Hz-3kHz.

2m on-axis: Roughly 2m at tweeter level centered (so between each tweeter)

Couch: Main couch seat, about 1-2ft in front of speaker (~3ft below? See photo from post #102 of my space)

Recliner: My main position, nearly 45 degrees off center (almost in line with one of the angled sides, around 9ft from rear wall, so maybe 12ft from speaker)

Arc: Maybe 2.5m radius and walking a ~90 degree arc around the speaker at tweeter level(+/-45 degree, so one side face to the other)

So yeah, very bright sounding (I guess to really let surround effects be heard), dips at 2kHz & 4500Hz (oddly not at 3500Hz which is the stated crossover). I'm surprised by the treble consistency, only above 9kHz is there a noticeable difference in SPL from tweeter level and seater ear level.

I did do a few regular measurement sweeps in REW, and it matched the RTA (I originally used Spectrum and it was downward sloping, so initially thought it was correct, had to watch Charles' MMM video to find out needed to switch mode to RTA).

Reported THD was consistently around 12.5%.

Last edited:

goldenears

Reported THD was consistently around 12.5%

Can someone with expertise in measurements comment on this? Can these be correct?

I'm only a measurement noob but 15dB upwards slope from 200Hz-20kHz seems ridiculous, and all the speaker reviews I've seen list THD of 3% or less.

Top Bottom