• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity RS152 Review (Surround Speaker)

DubbyMcDubs

So, they arrived.

I did some MMM measurements of my existing Fluance XLBP surrounds (Pink Noise, 200Hz-2kHz, 1/24 RTA, 26382 FFT, Hann, 50%), let me know if I should change anything so I can re-measure before swapping to the RS152.

View attachment 126500

I normalized them to the average SPL 300Hz-3kHz.

2m on-axis: Roughly 2m at tweeter level centered (so between each tweeter)

Couch: Main couch seat, about 1-2ft in front of speaker (~3ft below? See photo from post #102 of my space)

Recliner: My main position, nearly 45 degrees off center (almost in line with one of the angled sides, around 9ft from rear wall, so maybe 12ft from speaker)

Arc: Maybe 2.5m radius and walking a ~90 degree arc around the speaker at tweeter level(+/-45 degree, so one side face to the other)

So yeah, very bright sounding (I guess to really let surround effects be heard), dips at 2kHz & 4500Hz (oddly not at 3500Hz which is the stated crossover). I'm surprised by the treble consistency, only above 9kHz is there a noticeable difference in SPL from tweeter level and seater ear level.

I did do a few regular measurement sweeps in REW, and it matched the RTA (I originally used Spectrum and it was downward sloping, so initially thought it was correct, had to watch Charles' MMM video to find out needed to switch mode to RTA).

Reported THD was consistently around 12.5%.

Did you ever get the chance to measure the RS152's and compare?? I am now either considering these speakers or the JBL version as the outside seats of my HT are close to the walls. Currently using JBL SCS8's.

DubbyMcDubs

Sorry, I haven't; haven't even mounted them up in all this time.

Ah no worries. That’s a shame. Super keen to hear your thoughts and see measurements whenever you install them.

DubbyMcDubs

I have made the decision to buy a set of both the JBL HST and Infinity RS152's to compare. These will replace my SCS8's. I will report back at some stage with a comparison.

DubbyMcDubs

Ordered two sets of these to replace my JBL SCS8's. They are coming from the USA to Aus, but when I get them I will run some measurements and report back. They were significantly cheaper than the JBL's so I wont be buying the Control HST's to compare.

bigcalx20

No.

I really don't get the negative comments here.
It is absolutely clear that measurements in free space are inappropriate with this speaker. It is specifically intended to be wall mounted using the built in mounting points. The huge lumps and bumps are exactly what I would expect, and I would not be surprised to see them totally vanish when properly mounted.
There is good reason there is no panther awarded. There is no useful conclusion that can be drawn from the measurements as they stand. But for some reason there are lots of people here who are demanding a hanging. Maybe they are bored.
I own these speakers. There's nothing wrong with the sound or its design. I've even run them in stereo with all other speakers turned off. Before you assume that a product is inherently a loser spend your money. Then make a decision or comment on something that someone else who doesn't own it either has a biased opinion about. I set them up with the HTP-1 using Dirac live with the Umik-1. With a UHD blueray disc close to reference volume this speaker is amazing with its ability to keep up with and the balanced sound of the other speakers in this collection. RS 263, RC263, R162, R152, 2 RS-12 subwoofers and 4 of the RS152 mounted up high on the front and back wall. As per the HTP-1 set up instructions. I'll put my system up against anything in its price range. You will be stunned by the resolution that I'm getting. I'm using monolith 2x and 7x with 2 BGW C-440's bi-amping the main L & R with the Torus power Rm20 PIU. It seems each surround upmix suggests different ways of configuring speakers in a room.
I tried to find a happy compromise.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own these speakers…. I set them up with the HTP-1 using Dirac live with the Umik-1…

Can you share a screenshot of Dirac’s measured and corrected response for your front and rear heights?

DubbyMcDubs

I own these speakers. There's nothing wrong with the sound or its design. I've even run them in stereo with all other speakers turned off. Before you assume that a product is inherently a loser spend your money. Then make a decision or comment on something that someone else who doesn't own it either has a biased opinion about. I set them up with the HTP-1 using Dirac live with the Umik-1. With a UHD blueray disc close to reference volume this speaker is amazing with its ability to keep up with and the balanced sound of the other speakers in this collection. RS 263, RC263, R162, R152, 2 RS-12 subwoofers and 4 of the RS152 mounted up high on the front and back wall. As per the HTP-1 set up instructions. I'll put my system up against anything in its price range. You will be stunned by the resolution that I'm getting. I'm using monolith 2x and 7x with 2 BGW C-440's bi-amping the main L & R with the Torus power Rm20 PIU. It seems each surround upmix suggests different ways of configuring speakers in a room.
I tried to find a happy compromise.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your RS152's.

I too am very glad I went with them, and no longer thinking too much about the issues with the speakers in the room and since turned my attention to acoustic treatments.

In my room, all listener level speaker are at average ear level (1200 mm).

I still plan to take a measurement at 1 meter and report back.

YSC

Major Contributor

I too am very glad I went with them, and no longer thinking too much about the issues with the speakers in the room and since turned my attention to acoustic treatments.

I think in this case what we are curious is how the design will sound in the wall/corner mounted position in the listening position, better do a sine sweep in MLP and see if the huge null is still there will be interesting

DubbyMcDubs

I think in this case what we are curious is how the design will sound in the wall/corner mounted position in the listening position, better do a sine sweep in MLP and see if the huge null is still there will be interesting

Can do that as well. In the interim, all I have at the moment is the results from the Audessey app which I can post if anyone is interested.

YSC

Major Contributor
Can do that as well. In the interim, all I have at the moment is the results from the Audessey app which I can post if anyone is interested.
That could be interesting also, although from an app it’s likely not accurate by some margin, but that huge valley should still be visible somehow

bigcalx20

I'm 65 yo or will be in a month. I really don't have what you would call computer savvy. I hunt and pack until I get the desired results. It took me 3 days to do a reset on my processor. But I did it.
As far as recalling the data you asked for,I can't help you. I wish I could. Maybe later on down the road I will be able to get it to you. I'm trying now to pull the information up as I write this.

DubbyMcDubs

I'm 65 yo or will be in a month. I really don't have what you would call computer savvy. I hunt and pack until I get the desired results. It took me 3 days to do a reset on my processor. But I did it.
As far as recalling the data you asked for,I can't help you. I wish I could. Maybe later on down the road I will be able to get it to you. I'm trying now to pull the information up as I write this.

Nothing for you to report. I was just saying that I will report that information back at some point when I can get around to setting it up.

DubbyMcDubs

Finally got around to taking a quick measurement in my room. This was at 1m pointing directly at the Infinity badge. It's my left side surround, so mounted on flat wall half way up (2.4m ceiling, speaker at 1.2m), away from corners.

1666346476147.png

mwbuss8

I just picked up a demo pair for ~$100. They were delivered about 30min ago, so I haven't wall mounted or done setup on the AVR yet, but first impressions are good. I don't have testing equipment, but what I hear is clear & full without any noticeable dead spots in the frequency range. They're a tad bright, but not excessively so. Overall I feel like this deal was a steal. They compliment my Atlantic Technology 2200 LCR quite nicely.

Last edited:

Blauman541

My RS152 enclosure terminals when metered for resistance show "OL"

Is this normal? I was expecting 5-6 ohms.

Top Bottom