• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity Reference 162 - Revel quality for $175/pair - comments?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
1) In the scheme of automotive scandals, I wouldn't call VW the king. Maybe a crown prince? I guess if you are just talking 'test results' it's a point. But Takata, GM ignition, Firestone tire failures...where people were actually killed, were more egregious in my book .
I know it's OT, but it's too serious to let lie. Epidemiologists estimated the emissions scandal was responsible for ~4000 premature deaths in Europe, of which VW was responsible for ~1200. The figures for the US are a lot lower at ~60 total. How does that compare to the death tolls of the other scandals?
https://news.mit.edu/2017/volkswagen-emissions-premature-deaths-europe-0303

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it's OT, but it's too serious to let lie.
Statistical 'deaths' derived from math aren't the same. I'm not even sure they are a thing. I guess they are an abstract thing.

But regardless, and back (more or less) on topic, I presume Fender didn't want to be associated with VW anymore. Or maybe Harman made VW a better deal. I'm sure that all or most of it comes down to dollars and cents. And to a degree the name recognition. Someone in VW thought that the Fender brand was cool and hip, and wanted it in order to appeal to their younger demographic. It would surprise me if Fender did any sound related R/D work for VW, or supplied any parts.

Harman can be found in Lincoln (Revel). At the car sites people were wondering 'what is a Revel'. Revel doesn't have much name recognition outside of high end audio. JBL--Toyota. These things change all the time.

The rest of the VW group lineup? Audi--Bang 'n Olufsen. Porsche uses Burmester. Naim is working with Bentley. Bugatti uses Accuton. You'd think that anyone with a Porsche would want to listen to their engine, and not a CD. However I also heard that their turbo fours don't sound as good as the former naturally aspirated sixes, so maybe they need some 'piped in' sound.

I think Bose started car audio branding, or at least leveraged it in a big way.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Is there any way to get Infinity speakers in Europe? There doesn't seem to be a Dutch distributeur or dealer.

domisol24

im currently using R162s in my living room. The bass is okay but would be better with a sub. I guess it is a bit bright and it sounds a bit rough but is tolerable

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Would end the comparison issue when amirn finally tests the 162.

But maybe not as time-sensitive, since the $159/pr price appears to be back up to $449/pr list on Harmon site...

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
After much mulling over it, I finally ordered a pair of the R162 at $160. Turns out I did so on the last day of that price. Looked next day at the same link - now $450.

They arrived yesterday. Heavy exterior cardboard box, fitted foam inserts. IMO their fit and finish are superb. The gold-plated terminals seem the best quality I have ever seen. Heavy for the size. Had I bought at $450 I don't see what I would have expected different.

These are now temporarily setup in my bedroom 'dresser' system. On a dresser maybe 7' feet away. Probably 5' apart. Up maybe 2' from listening position. Driven by a vintage RX-396 (50w/50w). Not loud - maybe 70? (Conversation?).

These replace Goodwill JBL 2050s. No comparison - bass, dynamic range, mid and upper 'clarity' (I am not one for subjective term understanding) - bottom line - listening to soundtrack of 'Spirited Away' - absolutely sounds great. I think they will be a nice improvement in my Adirondack summer camp in L/R HT duty.

If they come back at $160, I don't see how you can go wrong compared to others in the $160/pr price range..

No hiss. Absolutely no hiss:) I hate hiss..Really hate hiss.. You can have your actives. I'll take my $20 Rx-396...

Last edited:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I ordered Infinity speakers during sale last week for about $700.00. They sent me JBL 2 way powered and subwoofers that retail for $3600. I was honest and notified the mistake. I had to take pictures to document. Almost seems they need proof I received much more expensive PA speakers. I won't fight for long. I could sell them for about $2000.
I did right thing and returned JBL's today. I was promised Infinity's would be shipped as soon as JBL's received and "inspected." I only opened one box to confirm error. I was worried because items ordered were out of stock on JBL site. Now in stock at regular price.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi All,
I got R162 about a month ago pre-owned in good condition for 180, I waited for online sale but did not find deal like 170$ or something so decided to go pre-owned for similar price. Need not to say I am a happy R162 buyer!!!
Last week one of my friend got Infinity Primus P362 for 200$ on ebay, we hooked it up with my D90 + XTZ Edge to try and I actually found P362 kind of big brother of R162.
Goes without saying that it has more additional mid range driver and another 6.5" woofer, but I thought it won't sound as good as R162 but (not golden) ears don't pick anything less, just More base.

Looking for experiencing/opinion from experienced forum members for P362!!!

Thanks.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Hi All,
I got R162 about a month ago pre-owned in good condition for 180, I waited for online sale but did not find deal like 170$ or something so decided to go pre-owned for similar price. Need not to say I am a happy R162 buyer!!!
Last week one of my friend got Infinity Primus P362 for 200$ on ebay, we hooked it up with my D90 + XTZ Edge to try and I actually found P362 kind of big brother of R162.
Goes without saying that it has more additional mid range driver and another 6.5" woofer, but I thought it won't sound as good as R162 but (not golden) ears don't pick anything less, just More base.

Looking for experiencing/opinion from experienced forum members for P362!!!

Thanks.
Primus has great reputation. All Infinity products have similar sound. I dream of 3 way floorstanderwith 8 inch woofers.

Top Bottom