• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity RC263 Center Speaker Review

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
The world is a funny place. Here in Oz, Infinity is pretty thin on the ground. The one dealer I could find with a price wants $1,299 AU for one of these. Even allowing for the (bad) exchange rate (=795 USD) and our local 10% GST (= 722 USD) it is still many times the price of that in the US. Very hard to make a case that they are good value here.
Wonder what it would cost to ship from USA to you.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I think the largest issue centers face are being much closer to a floor or ceiling as they're usually placed below or above the TV by necessity.
I was worried about 263 placement when I recently replaced 50 inch plasma with 65 inch OLED. I was shocked when I mounted the LG OLED. The mounting screw threads on the OLED were 12 inches lower than the plasma. I could fit a bookshelf under now. I would not do so because high monitor placement causes neck and eye fatigue. Exception is in bedroom. I still wonder how a Revel bookshelf as a center would compare to the 263. My mounting system is three shelves with mounting stalk attached behind the shelves. They are inexpensive and can handle large OLED`s due to the low mounting screw threads.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
It‘s very hard for me to find much wrong with the sound of it (listening to one right now, have had it for months, got it on the super-sale), as you might expect from @amirm ’s measurements. It is, however, huge, unattractive, and unwieldy. If we ever have guests post-coronavirus I’ll probably switch it out for a smaller more attractive center channel, or not use a center channel, when guests are here.

Based on the measurements I’d be a bit worried about getting a full bass feeling if I were to use it in an array of three (L-C-R) without subwoofers. Depends on how much those lows mean to you. Or if you used two vertically perhaps you’d want to get the mids / tweeters at about ear level, might be a real pain and look quite strange. Also I think the waveguide is likely much better-suited and intended for horizontal placement. Maybe best-looking would be to have all three of them positioned uniformly on low stands and angle them all three up toward the listening height. Will you be getting your money’s worth and much much more in terms of SQ? I would think so, if that’s your deal. ;)

I use the unusual cabinet shape to my advantage, placing it below the TV on a low stand but using the back angle to angle it up. I think that’s maybe what was intended.
I think attractive, especially without grill.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Thanks for the share. The Emo's design does make it compelling, even for another try and sell (not so easy with some) exercise. ;) (paired with T2+ towers of course) Ultimately, I'd like a Revel 228be and C208 combo for the LCR. (these all sit next to my 'house sound' of choice: Aerial 10Ts with Purifi amps critical listening system)
Emo design compared to Harmon? Emotiva is an undercapitalized marketer. They make nothing.

hemiutut

Gentlemen of Harman, if possible do not forget Europe.
What great memories of Infinity's Beta-Primus series.
What a wonderful loudspeakers they made.

Written with translator

Greetings

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gentlemen of Harman, if possible do not forget Europe.
What great memories of Infinity's Beta-Primus series.
What a wonderful loudspeakers they made.

Written with translator

Greetings
I think that Harman is not producing any more of these speakers so they can release newer products.

hemiutut

The Beta and Primus series I know are discontinued years ago.
I hope to see Infinity products in Spain - Europe soon.
such as RC263 and R162

Regards

warthor

It seems that in the US this speaker has not been available since early 2021, unfortunately.

GabrielPhoto

How is the Infinity with grills? Any worse?

GabrielPhoto

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GabrielPhoto

Well I just bought a 263 to see how it compares to the THX 365c. That way I wont have to wonder any more.
Still trying to find a Revel C52 though..that will be my ultimate goal aside from doing an AT Screen to put anoth9er JBL 590.

GabrielPhoto

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I have carefully observed Amir's reviews of Harmon products. His recent review of a MTM crossover controlled center is euphemistically kind. Distortion of MTM Revel center did not require artificial suppression. Any half backed room correction can achieve that objective. I understand the reticence. Our younger members may not.

Top Bottom