• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity R162 Bookshelf Speaker Review

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does turning that tweeter dial adjust the high frequency response?

infinity.JPG

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for keeping that spreadsheet updated! I apologize if it's been asked before, but is there a way to make that main List sortable by the columns or that's the only way it can be?
I just tried in the regular spreadsheet, since everything is referenced and not standalone data, it goes haywire when you sort the data. This is the benefit of the graphs though, you can see speakers by score, price, and type.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
That said, the on-axis is still tilted a little up. So off-axis listening is probably in order - as seems to be common for budget/more mainstream speakers.
Yah, I reason in general budget oriented buyers are far more likely to want the aesthetic of their speakers aimed straight ahead rather than toed all the way in.
I personally like the look of extreme toe in. Of course any non audio nut who looked around my living room would likely only be able to say wtf?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I also have the Infinity RC 263 center. It's a 3 way. I can now hear voices crystal clear. I think the mid range brings the voices out without cranking the volume. The spin is really good for a center. It is a big center and weighs nearly 30 pounds.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
These look good with the Monoprice stands. Cheap and sturdy. They are surely not a fine piece of furniture but not bad.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
The R162 seems like it might be a great candidate to go 'all DSP' by bringing out both speaker leads, bypassing the passive crossover, then bi-amping, electronic xo, electronic leveling, PEQs for each driver.. Anyone?

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if a layer of cotton cloth behind the grill and in front of the tweeter might tame the tweeter enough to help?

Was thinking I might try one of these for a center channel if it plays louder with more ease. Alas I don't like the looks of that distortion around the crossover. Maybe the RC 263 is better since it is a center channel anyway.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I wonder if a layer of cotton cloth behind the grill and in front of the tweeter might tame the tweeter enough to help?

Was thinking I might try one of these for a center channel if it plays louder with more ease. Alas I don't like the looks of that distortion around the crossover. Maybe the RC 263 is better since it is a center channel anyway.
Trust me buy the center. You will love it. Just make sure the 263 and not the 253. I have never had a 3 way center. Buy now or wait for the sale. When sale starts do not procrastinate. Sell out in 1 or 2 days.

Putter

Forum Donor
I suspect that the R152 might not have that distortion spike between 2 and 3 Khz because the smaller woofer can reach higher. There is no proof of that because I haven't seen any crossover info let alone actual measurements. It would certainly come at the expense of less bass and more low end distortion, but that's why God invented subwoofers.:)

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Amir, Harmon is paying attention to you. I had quite an experience ordering Infinities during the sale. Somehow they sent me $4,000 worth of JBL PA speakers by semi. The shipping was $350. I would not have accepted but was in Court. They called before transit from Effingham, IL to confirm delivery to my house. I told the shipping company a semi could not deliver to my home due to narrow street. I thought maybe they shipped by semi due to the pandemic. Anyway, I have had lot of emails back and forth about the mess. They know all about you. They are not complaining.

typericey

For speakers / drivers, what would be the acceptable / reasonable distortion values at the sub bass, bass, mid and treble frequencies? At what % will it be audible? That 3% midrange bump seems too much.

i.e. Broadly speaking for amplifiers, anything below 1% is considered "acceptable"

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For speakers / drivers, what would be the acceptable / reasonable distortion values at the sub bass, bass, mid and treble frequencies? At what % will it be audible? That 3% midrange bump seems too much.

i.e. Broadly speaking for amplifiers, anything below 1% is considered "acceptable"
It is generally stated to want to be below 1% in the mid-upper treble. If you go above that, it depends on the magnitude and the Q-factor (width of frequencies effected). In deep bass, you can withstand a ton of distortion before it becomes audible.

Top Bottom