• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity R162 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My in room measurement. Nothing terribly wrong except for room mode. Fairly neutral in the mid and a little peaks in the high. This speaker is great!
index.php
Possible to change your scale to something like 45-95

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agree, no need for a 180 dB range on the Y-axis....it masks the response too much. 45-105 works well.

cursive

Forum Donor
You're welcome :)

Thanks Mike, helped me get the R263 on an awesome deal. Though it does seem some of the prices on the site don't match exactly with your image. like RC253 for 150.99 a pair? Regardless, thanks for noticing this.

Mike Lima

Thanks Mike, helped me get the R263 on an awesome deal. Though it does seem some of the prices on the site don't match exactly with your image. like RC253 for 150.99 a pair? Regardless, thanks for noticing this.
I ordered the Rc263 center in November I got it in late January. It is HUUUUGE. I replaced my Pioneer Andrew Jones center. So it was definitely an upgrade. I waited for it to do REW and the MiniDSP filters and the improvement is noticeable. Thank you to this group for turning me into the Infinity Reference Center RC263.

Here is the link if anybody is interested. https://www.harmanaudio.com/loudspe...ed&prefv3=false&prefn4=isSupport&prefv4=false

Bear123

anybody wants to review
Infinity R152
My workout room speakers. Grabbed them for $129 and using along with an almost free JBL550P for my workout room. More than I need for when I'm picking things up and putting them down.
workout room speaker brackets.JPG

Oh no, if only I could pull them out from the wall 6 or 8 feet….just kidding, I have bass management and eq, no antiquated methods needed here!

dealpapa

My workout room speakers. Grabbed them for $129 and using along with an almost free JBL550P for my workout room. More than I need for when I'm picking things up and putting them down.
View attachment 152420
Oh no, if only I could pull them out from the wall 6 or 8 feet….just kidding, I have bass management and eq, no antiquated methods needed here!

you need to upgrade your display. way too small

Ashfyre

Distortion graph shows some nastiness around (likely) crossover point:

Inifinity R162 Bookshelf Home Theater Speaker distortion Audio Measurements.png

Hello,
My friend recommended these speakers to me as a good performing, but relatively inexpensive, choice in the grand scheme of things. However, I have concerns and questions regarding the distortion shown here.

Was the above reading taken at 86 dB like others I've seen on this site? If so, how would this play out at lower volume levels, as 86 dB is really quite loud?

I wonder why a reading like the one below wasn't included in the evaluation?

Thanks
Triangle Borea BR03 Speaker Measurement THD Distortion 86 dBSPL (1).png

Erici

Forum Donor
Hello,
My friend recommended these speakers to me as a good performing, but relatively inexpensive, choice in the grand scheme of things. However, I have concerns and questions regarding the distortion shown here.

Was the above reading taken at 86 dB like others I've seen on this site? If so, how would this play out at lower volume levels, as 86 dB is really quite loud?

I wonder why a reading like the one below wasn't included in the evaluation?

ThanksView attachment 213590
The review in question was completed a long time ago, and before Amir started the 86 and 96dB format. If I recall, the old format was to test at 92-96 dB.
I have and like the R162 speakers but they can be a little bright without EQ. They were a great value when they were selling for under $200. Harman shows that they are sold out, and I haven't seen them for sale anywhere else either.

Ashfyre

The review in question was completed a long time ago, and before Amir started the 86 and 96dB format. If I recall, the old format was to test at 92-96 dB.
I have and like the R162 speakers but they can be a little bright without EQ. They were a great value when they were selling for under $200. Harman shows that they are sold out, and I haven't seen them for sale anywhere else either.
Am I to assume that the distortion shown here would be less noticeable at lower volume levels? 92 - 96 dB is incredibly loud and certainly not a level I'd listen at under normal circumstances.

As for the treble tilt, that's not an issue as I know how to correct it.

Regarding their availability, in essense I already own them. The seller is merely waiting for a bank transfer.

Walter

Am I to assume that the distortion shown here would be less noticeable at lower volume levels?
Not so much less noticeable, as just plain less. But from the measurements available, there's no way to predict at what volume it becomes a factor. Still, I'd be happy to have a pair. 3% distortion is high, especially at a frequency like this where our hearing is really sensitive, but it is not insanely high if this was at 92db. If it was 10%, that would be different.

Last edited:

Erici

Forum Donor
Am I to assume that the distortion shown here would be less noticeable at lower volume levels? 92 - 96 dB is incredibly loud and certainly not a level I'd listen at under normal circumstances.

As for the treble tilt, that's not an issue as I know how to correct it.

Regarding their availability, in essense I already own them. The seller is merely waiting for a bank transfer.
You can look at relative distortion numbers for other speakers that Amir has measured and see a large difference. At the usual listening distances of 3 to 12 feet I doubt that distortion would be an issue if you are listening at levels below 85 dB.

Ashfyre

Thanks for your insights, gentlemen.

I picked them up this afternoon and am quite happy.

I've a friend who owns their better dressed cousin, the Revel M16. After I EQed the minor frequency response errors in the 162, both he and I agreed that they gave the M16 a serious run for its money in a quick series of A/B testing (sighted) here at my crib.

Last edited:
Top Bottom