• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Infinity Primus v klipsch Icon

Dizzhy

Hi all, I'm very new to the audio scene and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. Initially I purchased a set of infinity Primus Speakers (infinity Primus 300, 100 and centre) for a very reasonable price but ended up getting a pretty sub par amp and sub which really made my home theatre and music experience less than stunning. Because of the current lock down in Australia, there is no "try before you buy" and just having purchased a new TV default speakers were definitely not going to cut it. A couple of weeks after I purchased the infinity sound system, an incredible offer for Klipsch Icon (SW 450, vf35, vc25, vs14, onkyo TX-sr 578) for around $270 USD so of course I impulse bought this system.

I'm really unsure if my tuning is incorrect, but the klipsch vf35 (powered by a Denon x2000) seem incredibly bright and lacking with more laid back music, whilst the Primus 300 seem incredibly dull. I suppose my question here is I'm not sure which Speakers to keep, any info regarding klipsch v infinity in this case or the onkyo TX sr 578 v the Denon x2000 would be greatly appreciated.

I should also mention that these are mainly used for music and secondly home theatre.

Kind regards,

Dizzhy

iMickey503

Forum Donor
If I may ask, do you have Photos of your room with the speakers. Reason being, is that your room plays a BIG part in speakers. Doing this would really help out. Just take a few shots of the speakers and try to give general measurements of the room and Placement of the speakers and your listening position facing the speakers. This would be a Big help for further recommendations.

I'm really unsure if my tuning is incorrect, but the klipsch vf35 (powered by a Denon x2000) seem incredibly bright and lacking with more laid back music, whilst the Primus 300 seem incredibly dull.

These speakers (Both should sound "Good") are a good middle road speaker. But if they sound "Dull" there could be 2 things.

1. Speakers out of phase ( Improper polarity ) crossed wires on the terminals.

2. Due to Covid , the factories had to get a lot of new blood in and workers. So there could have been errors in the assembly of the speakers. Wires internally being wired wrong for woofer or tweeter (Not Intentionally as the designer spec'ed ) could also be a Problem. You can test this with a Polarity tester App on any iphone or android device.

The app I linked too saved me so many headaches. I even found my Factory woofers on my van were wired in reverse. Took me MONTHS to figure out. Works wonderful in the home setting as well.

3. Your receiver could also be a culprit. Sad to say. I had a TEAC unit that just sounded FLAT. Popped in a Pioneer, all done. So do test with a different amp if possible.

4. your subwoofer in your main speakers maybe in a cancellation mode where the crossover point of your front speakers is too low and the subwoofer is working too high creating a large NULL in the sound.

It sounds like it's very warm Dull, and doesn't really have a lot of high-frequency detail at some points in the frequency response (The dull sound again from the speakers you describe)
this is something closely related to comb filtering but its more of a cancellation issue basically. This sounds like what you are describing.

EASY for Everyone testing procedures

It's not easy trying to locating a problem in your audio chain when you know it just doesn't sound right. But there is one sure way that works for everyone. Comparing a known good source to a suspected bad one. I call this the Headphone method. It always works. Your ear is very sensitive to tone. And this is how to proceed.

First:

1. A set of Headphones

2. A Music track you KNOW what it sounds like.

3. A test CD like Audiotool, the DTS Test DVD or Dolby Tests on some DVD/s etc.

Furthermore, find a reputable online review of your speakers actually set up and playing music. if it sounds nowhere near the same with essentially a very basic setup through their microphones then we have indicated they are simply some kind of issue that we need to iron out.

First let's train your ear for phase and do this with some good headphones. Earbuds will also work

So lets try testing your tweeters. with the app. You can use the AUX out of your phone or bluetooth with the app linked above for android.

For iPhone users? You can use this app the same way.

If your tweeters are both out of phase, that is okay. Some designs are made that way. If one is in phase and the other is not? Try switching the wire on the speaker that is out of phase. test again and see if that's an improvement.

if you are willing to try a more convenient method which requires a Dollar Tree battery then this method also works for figuring out polarity of your speakers with a CHEAP battery. the heavy duty batteries are actually the best to use as they are very weak current wise and lessons the chance of damage to your woofers.
(DO NOT USE LITHIUM IONS CELLS. Lithium Coin cells are fine however. )

Once you are sure both speakers are at least matched to each other, then you can begin the testing,

A. Listen to your speaker with FRESH EARS. at LOW VOLUME.

B. Compare that with your Headphones.

C. see if you can notice what sounds off. If it sounds weird? Maybe wiring issue. Maybe crossover issue.

D. Do test again but ONLY ONE speaker at a time. (Not stereo/ Mono Left or right) If it sounds better? Then its a phase/ Polarity wire issue. Change .Swap polarity of wires to speakers. Test again. Sounds better? Time for the sweeps.

iI you don't have access to really good test files here's a site with a actual audio engineer that has created some very good test tools and sweeps. Many thanks to https://stephanepigeon.com/

If speakers still sound dull? Throw up a audio test on Youtube or Vimeo in HD from your Phone with STEREO MICROPHONES. A video tells a Millions words. We might be able to pick out the problem. Watch your volume levels.

With both speakers sounding not right to you? It may just be the Amp. Try another one and see if that works.

Your infiniti 300's should sound something close to this:

Your main Klipsch speakers should sound like this:

If you don't have a different receiver, you can try resetting the receiver you have, to factory settings & seeing if that clears up the problem or try a different source input on your receiver.

NOTE:
since you say both sets of speakers don't sound that great I think it's probably a wiring or Electronics issue not the speakers.

So start their first.

And give us a sound demo if you have an iphone. It does a good job at recording audio from built in mics at normal volumes.

Top Bottom