• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive, Musical DAC wanted...

macauley86

I use a 2009 MacBook Pro as a music server (Audirvana and AIFF files), connected to a Cambridge Topaz AM10 and Polk LSiM703.
I have the MBP connected to the Topaz via its audio out, thus using the MBP's internal DAC.
Considering an inexpensive external USB DAC. No particular need for optical, coaxial, volume control.
Options:
  • Topping D10 ($90)
  • Topping D50 (currently at Drop.com for $165)
  • Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 (used for around $120 or so)
  • Other?
Not interested in Schiit (hate the name).

Not really interested in DSD or insane upsampling. All my files are 16/44.1 CD rips.
What I'm looking for is a musical DAC with a good midrange, clean lows, non-fatiguing highs.
What say ye? Any advice?

OP
M

macauley86

I know, but if I concentrate hard, I can convince myself my AM10 sounds really better than a D'Agostino and my $100 DAC outperforms anything on the planet and beyond. Never underestimate the power of human suggestion ;-)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just bought an SMSL Sanskrit 10th for £66 from Amazon UK (this was 'open box', they're £80 new). I'm going to use it to connect an Nvidia Shield (USB) and Chromecast Audio (SPDIF) to my 2 channel amp (ONIX OA21s). The Sanskrit was the cheapest DAC I could find with a remote which is required because the Onix has a manual volume control and i'm lazy.

The Sanskrit is 75mm tall when on it's side, your Topaz is 76mm tall, it might look quite nice next to it if you can cope with a blue or red DAC.

TimW

Major Contributor
I use a 2009 MacBook Pro as a music server (Audirvana and AIFF files), connected to a Cambridge Topaz AM10 and Polk LSiM703.
I have the MBP connected to the Topaz via its audio out, thus using the MBP's internal DAC.
Considering an inexpensive external USB DAC. No particular need for optical, coaxial, volume control.
Based on your setup I would recommend upgrading your amp before spending any money on a DAC. The Topaz AM10 is probably the weak point of your system. Take a look at the impedance graph of your speakers and these comments from John Atkinson.

1570650058228.png

I'm no expert when it comes to the interaction between loudspeakers and amplifiers but based on this I would recommend an amplifier that has plenty of power and no issue with low impedance loads. Your AM10 is only rated for 35 Watts into 8 ohms with no spec even provided for 4 ohms. That is pretty pathetic. If I had those speakers I would want an amp with 10 times as much power. It would probably have to be a standalone power amp and I would use a DAC with volume control to adjust the volume. If you don't plan to use any analog sources then there really isn't a need for an analog preamplifier or an integrated amplifier.

OP
M

macauley86

I think I like the look of the D10, D50, DacMagic100 better with the Topaz. The D50 and DM100 blue LED would also match the Topaz blue LCD better. I'm also considering the Cambridge DacMagic XS V2 (which is very small and includes a headphone amp, which I don't need, for $75).

Is it ok to power the two Topping DACs via USB from the MBP? Or should I use an external PS?

OP
M

macauley86

Based on your setup I would recommend upgrading your amp before spending any money on a DAC. The Topaz AM10 is probably the weak point of your system. Take a look at the impedance graph of your speakers and these comments from John Atkinson.

View attachment 35609
I'm no expert when it comes to the interaction between loudspeakers and amplifiers but based on this I would recommend an amplifier that has plenty of power and no issue with low impedance loads. Your AM10 is only rated for 35 Watts into 8 ohms with no spec even provided for 4 ohms. That is pretty pathetic. If I had those speakers I would want an amp with 10 times as much power. It would probably have to be a standalone power amp and I would use a DAC with volume control to adjust the volume. If you don't plan to use any analog sources then there really isn't a need for an analog preamplifier or an integrated amplifier.

Yes, on paper the Topaz is the weak link, but I really like this little amp. First of all, I use this setup for background music in my home office. Volume goes from -80db to 0db, but I never go beyond -30db, which is plenty loud for me (avg 80db SPL at 6 feet with 90 to 95-db peaks). I don't hear any distortion, and the amp barely gets warm. I do have a Cambridge CXA80 (purchased on closeout since the CXA81 just came out this month), but I haven't even opened the box yet. Of course, the CXA80 includes an async USB DAC, so I'd be set. But I'm not sure about keeping it.

The other thing I really like about the Topaz is the way its volume control system works; when powering up the amp, the volume is automatically set to -50db (no matter what it was set up when powered down), and it clicks in 1db increments that are shown on its LCD screen. This is perfect for me because it makes it impossible for my kids to crank up the volume knob, turn on the amp, and blast the Polks with their Tangled or Frozen soundtracks at max volume :) It also takes a few turns of the volume knob to really crank up the volume, which is great for the same reason above. With a regular pot, it's very quick to turn it all the way up or down, and you know kids...

In fact, I love this volume control system so much I wish all preamps or integrated amps had it.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it ok to power the two Topping DACs via USB from the MBP? Or should I use an external PS?

The D50 has an external PSU, the D10 runs of USB only. If you're going for the D50, you might as well get the D50s with the remote and Bluetooth capability (and slightly better measurement).

Wombat

Master Contributor

carlosmante

Options:
  • Topping D10 ($90)
  • Topping D50 (currently at Drop.com for $165)
  • Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 (used for around $120 or so)
  • Other?
Not interested in Schiit (hate the name).

Not really interested in DSD or insane upsampling. All my files are 16/44.1 CD rips.
What I'm looking for is a musical DAC with a good midrange, clean lows, non-fatiguing highs.
What say ye? Any advice?
I use a 30 dollars tablet as streamer and DAC and it sounds very good for Background music. Senseless and stupid to spend more.

SpyB

I use a 30 dollars tablet as streamer and DAC and it sounds very good for Background music. Senseless and stupid to spend more.

Hey! if your $30 tablet works for you / you are a very lucky man,
only do not say stupid to spend more, as it is not.
And background music is not really what most people use the well engineered devices for,
they use them to feel the pleasure that listening can bring.
Background music is another thing altogether

BillG

Major Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom