• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive Low Power Amplifier

scibry

I am tri-amp'ing some home speakers. Now the 4 10" woofers are going to get something made by Crown probably :)

However, I need 1 stereo channel of around 20 watts, and other stereo channel of around 50 watts.

Who makes some quality stuff in this area? (I've thought about neurochrome, but too expensive without being assembled).

Edit!: Picture

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice looking project! (Really like seeing the felt!!!) I hope you post more info & measurements.

Now, please define "inexpensive." And maybe add something about how much fidelity you're hoping for. Unfortunately, ASR is still looking for a cheapish amp with >100dB SINAD...

"Prebuilt for less than Neurochrome" probably includes @March Audio's 2x75w Ncore, at around $1500 for 4 channels. In the US, the 7x200W Monolith might make sense for $1600, because it could drive the woofers, too. At the lower end, Emotiva's 5x80W is $500, though it's almost certainly not as clean.

Used amps increase your options, obviously. Amps with 5-7 channels from Adcom, ATI, Outlaw & Parasound are often pretty cheap on Ebay. And the Crestron 12x60 (basically an ATI 6012) or 16x60 are often REALLY cheap, especially if you can find one for local pickup. The Crestrons require some minor modding. (I bought a 12x60 with poor cosmetics for <$20 channel, shipped. And that's hardly the best deal I've seen.)

Finally, since you're triamping, what's your source? @Cosmik can tell you about using older receivers here, which can be CRAZY cheap. PC DSP -> HDMI -> used AVR is probably the lowest-cost avenue.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Nice looking project! (Really like seeing the felt!!!) I hope you post more info & measurements.

Now, please define "inexpensive." And maybe add something about how much fidelity you're hoping for. Unfortunately, ASR is still looking for a cheapish amp with >100dB SINAD...

"Prebuilt for less than Neurochrome" probably includes @March Audio's 2x75w Ncore, at around $1500 for 4 channels. In the US, the 7x200W Monolith might make sense for $1600, because it could drive the woofers, too. At the lower end, Emotiva's 5x80W is $500, though it's almost certainly not as clean.

Used amps increase your options, obviously. Amps with 5-7 channels from Adcom, ATI, Outlaw & Parasound are often pretty cheap on Ebay. And the Crestron 12x60 (basically an ATI 6012) or 16x60 are often REALLY cheap, especially if you can find one for local pickup. The Crestrons require some minor modding. (I bought a 12x60 with poor cosmetics for <$20 channel, shipped. And that's hardly the best deal I've seen.)

Finally, since you're triamping, what's your source? @Cosmik can tell you about using older receivers here, which can be CRAZY cheap. PC DSP -> HDMI -> used AVR is probably the lowest-cost avenue.

The March Audio P122 is around 97dB SINAD so pretty close :)

@scibry Again it depends on your budget but I'm sure I can a bit of a discount for 2 amps.

Also for the woofer why made by crown? I think we can possibly find a better overall solution.

I will pm as I can possibly do a special multichannel (6 or 8) amp at a sensible price.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am tri-amp'ing some home speakers. Now the 4 10" woofers are going to get something made by Crown probably :)

However, I need 1 stereo channel of around 20 watts, and other stereo channel of around 50 watts.

Who makes some quality stuff in this area? (I've thought about neurochrome, but too expensive without being assembled).

Edit!: Picture

ATI's nCore implementation is about $500/channel in their 8-channel guise. You could run everything through it.

Top Bottom