• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive isolation pads that won't ruin the speaker bottom

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I collect all those little rubber feet that come with various things over the years in case of need like this, even old mouse pads. Generally though I just use museum putty/blu-tac between speakers and the stands, tho.

I need to post a picture of what "audiophile" domed rubber isolation pads did to the bottom of my monitor audio speakers... Stripped the finish all the way off.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to post a picture of what "audiophile" domed rubber isolation pads did to the bottom of my monitor audio speakers... Stripped the finish all the way off.

Never had any issues with the bluetac/museum putty with finishes on several different speakers myself. I don't know what "audiophile" could refer to on an isolation pad, but sounds like it had some chemicals that got in the way? Some sort of sorbothane things?

gvl

Major Contributor
Can anyone give me some advice on some inexpensive adhesive or non-adhesive isolation pads that won't ruin either the surface it's on or the bottom of the speaker? What are folks using to put a center channel speaker on a double metal bar under a TV for example I'm imagining and have seen some speakers come with little silicon or rubber discs.

If you have a link to the items that you recommend on Amazon that would be great. Many years ago I bought some moderately expensive isolation rubber discs and they completely ruined the bottom of my monitor audio center speaker. It was as if it bleached out a circle on the bottom and I can't have that with my pretty revel M16s.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

Edit. I also don't trust the rubber pieces that come with the wall mounting kits to not screw up the finish on the cabinets. I am trying to use the wall mount kits to move the speakers up a bit to ear level and just outside the boundary of the TV. Stands simply won't work with the space and having little kids unfortunately.

If you're in the US go to Costco and get a 4 bottle French wine set in a wooden box for $40. Each bottle is padded with a nice 3" x 3" x 7/16" dense foam square. Drink the wine, use pads under the speakers, burn the wood in the fireplace. If you need more than 4 pads do the math. Vin-Win.

IMG_0094.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're in the US go to Costco and get a 4 bottle French wine set in a wooden box for $40. Each bottle is padded with a nice 3" x 3" x 7/16" dense foam square. Drink the wine, use pads under the speakers, burn the wood in the fireplace. If you need more than 4 pads do the math. Vin-Win.

View attachment 154724
....a lot of packing materials can be saved without going to wine, and why need French wine here in the US?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally had much better luck with cheap French wines than US made. Matter of taste I suppose.

Yeah not much of a wine fan (cheap doesn't always bear on drinkability, tho)
altho have lived in/near wine areas in California....prefer beer :)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally had much better luck with cheap French wines than US made. Matter of taste I suppose.

Where do you wine shop? Any reasonable good reds you can recommend of French origin I'll find for under $10 I'll gladly try in any case, even if just for cooking....

gvl

Major Contributor
Where do you wine shop? Any reasonable good reds you can recommend of French origin I'll find for under $10 I'll gladly try in any case, even if just for cooking....

I’ll not a wine snob, the extent of my wine shopping is mostly random picks at a local Trader Joe’s or Costco, so can’t recommend anything specific. Empirically though, there’s a higher chance of developing a headache next day after drinking inexpensive California wine than French ;)

A Surfer

Major Contributor
....a lot of packing materials can be saved without going to wine, and why need French wine here in the US?
Not to mention why not enjoy things from all over? Americans love other nations to enjoy their offerings so it should be reciprocated. IMO.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention why not enjoy things from all over? Americans love other nations to enjoy their offerings so it should be reciprocated. IMO.
The wine section at the beer and wine stores that I go to has so many imports that finding the Canadian domestics requires effort. ;) The Aussie wines come at some decent prices I find.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I do enjoy things from all over but for food/drink tend to stick to local stuff, let alone packing/insulation materials :)

Top Bottom