• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive isolation pads that won't ruin the speaker bottom

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone give me some advice on some inexpensive adhesive or non-adhesive isolation pads that won't ruin either the surface it's on or the bottom of the speaker? What are folks using to put a center channel speaker on a double metal bar under a TV for example I'm imagining and have seen some speakers come with little silicon or rubber discs.

If you have a link to the items that you recommend on Amazon that would be great. Many years ago I bought some moderately expensive isolation rubber discs and they completely ruined the bottom of my monitor audio center speaker. It was as if it bleached out a circle on the bottom and I can't have that with my pretty revel M16s.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

Edit. I also don't trust the rubber pieces that come with the wall mounting kits to not screw up the finish on the cabinets. I am trying to use the wall mount kits to move the speakers up a bit to ear level and just outside the boundary of the TV. Stands simply won't work with the space and having little kids unfortunately.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have used thermal conductive pads for isolating stuff. They are made from silicon and are supposedly mostly inert.
Ebay has many different thicknesses and sizes as well as other sources like this and this.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Freeway

antcollinet

Master Contributor
For this sort of application, I tend to use sound damping foam designed for use in vehicles. Cheap and effective. It comes sticky backed. You can either stick it to the non critical surface (metal support bars in this case) or leave the paper backing on and just use it as a cushion. Or stick two pieces back to back, and the non sticky surface normally has enough friction that once trapped between two surfaces it doesn't move...

EG:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MDUB6T6/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

You tend to buy enough to last a few years of profligate use.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Softer rubber and silicone plastics contain stabilizers to prevent reversion.

I like felt, as a bumper for wood with finishes applied.

If the Revels are vinyl wrapped, they probably won't show lifting of the finish.

deprogrammed

Probably thicker than you need but I use yoga blocks. Stopped the small vibration of my desk and raised speakers to ear level. Inexpensive too.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using these under my Energy CB-5 bookshelf speakers, although they were half the price when I bought them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0842WQRQ7
This is similar to what I use. There were a number of suppliers for these which provide the same thing at a cheaper price when i bought them. They are heavy duty as they are used for isolating air conditioners and home appliances.
I had my salon2's sitting on them

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using these under my Energy CB-5 bookshelf speakers, although they were half the price when I bought them:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0842WQRQ7

I see that this one has come up a few times. I guess I just have a problem with my beautiful speakers sitting on what looks like a distracting piece of blue foam. My aesthetic eye won't let me do it. If the research shows that isolation really doesn't work then just simple dots to keep the speakers from scratching I guess are all I need.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see that this one has come up a few times. I guess I just have a problem with my beautiful speakers sitting on what looks like a distracting piece of blue foam. My aesthetic eye won't let me do it. If the research shows that isolation really doesn't work then just simple dots to keep the speakers from scratching I guess are all I need.
I've seen them all black too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I collect all those little rubber feet that come with various things over the years in case of need like this, even old mouse pads. Generally though I just use museum putty/blu-tac between speakers and the stands, tho.

Top Bottom