• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive Headphone Amp Splitter for A/B/C/D quick headphone comparing

Archaea

I searched, but didn't see anything on the topic. Have any of the inexpensive headphone amplifier splitter boxes been tested or come highly advised?

I have a half dozen nice headphones I've collected over the years - anything from 30 ohm Philips SHP9500s, to 150 ohm HDX-6XX, to 300 ohm HD-600 type cans, and I'd like to level match them, have them all playing at once and be able to switch cans as quickly as possible -- audio memory being what it is. In my experience, by the time I swap out the cables and re-adjust the volume, who knows which subtle detail I prefered -- it simply takes too long with impedance mismatches and juggling cable connections to do any kind of quick comparison with a single output headphone amp.
I've tried a passive splitter, but I can't compare when one pair of headphones seems 40% louder than the next...the volumes need to be dialed in.

I am idly curious to compare more quickly, but not curious enough to spend bukoo bucks on the comparison tool since I own all these headphones already and have a serviceable headphone DAC/amplifier in my Creative Super X-Fi for long term use. (I dislike the touted surround sound function, but as a USB DAC and headphone amp it meets my subjective needs).

Is such an inexpensive headphone amp 4 way splitter a realistic proposition?

Sorting by average review - these units all have 4.5 type start rating...probably all good enough for me - but doesn't hurt to ask the best/most reputable of those who follow this sector more intimately than me.

Mackie HM-4 - $40
https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-HM-4-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B079C8MLG8/

Monoprice 615220 - $35
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-615220-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00H3TE5P2/

LD Systems HPA4 - $60
https://www.amazon.com/LD-Systems-LDHPA4-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005LNZLSW/

Samson QH4 - $80 - (this one looks particularly good because it has four individual volume knobs, and one master knob that raises/lowers all in unison so once dialed in matching volume on each headphone, you could still adjust overall volume in unison for quieter or louder recordings)
https://www.amazon.com/Samson-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier-SAQH4/dp/B01N5K2QKQ/

etc...

Any of these particularly solid? Any other suggestions? Thanks for any knowledgeable advice!

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The few measurements of those those kinds of amps I've seen before have been pretty poor. AFIK those are usually more or less designed to be "signal presence" monitors rather than something for mixing or hifi listening.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a better suggestion for you though.

raindance

Major Contributor
The only ways to do this are to have multiple amps or use a pro audio headphone distribution system that incorporates multiple amps (which are usually designed for IEM use).

The issue is that splitting a low impedance feed means adding impedance to protect the amp and that'll change the sound, plus lower output power.

It's much easier to split the input side of the amp!

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A bit off topic, that might not give you the best idea for real world performance.

For example, to me the HD800s got absolutely destroyed by LCD-3 in short switch test. But when I used each for a week, the overall experience is actually close, I would say as the only source of sound EQed HD800s came out on top due to comfort, although put my speaker back in the mix and LCD-3 came back on top again, with or without eq.

Top Bottom