• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive but decent subwoofer replacement plate amp for a small sub

wgscott

I have a Rel R-218 sub that recently tried to set my house on fire when its amp set the internal dampening material on fire. Rel kindly offered to sell me another one with a slight discount. Instead, I decided to keep the speaker cabinet, and replace the plate amp. I gave it a few months to air out the stench (it still smells a bit toxic, but hopefully I can seal the smell up on the inside). The cabinet is 12" x 12" x 12", and the current opening at the back is 8" x 8", although I could probably widen it a bit if required.

I'd like to get a plate amp that ideally would be Class D (or similarly energy-efficient and cool-running), and that would permit me to use speaker-level input.

I looked at Parts Express: Yung SD300 300W Class D Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

With a little bit of judicious sawing, it could fit the current opening, and the price is nice, and has the features I need. However, the reviews it gets are a bit sketchy, with several folks reporting various failures (although no combustion). (The 200W version would also be ok, but it lacks speaker-level inputs.)

Any suggestions for something a bit more reliable?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sounds like something failed in the amp to do that; hard to believe they normally run that hot. I would probably just get the stock replacement and watch how I stuffed the box. I might re-iterate the whole burning the house down and see if they over a higher discount or even a free replacement amp (assuming it is out of warranty?)

Baking soda might help with the smell. Put a box in, and/or sprinkle some around inside, and seal it up. Or leaving it out in the sun for a while. If the smell is still there after months it may be there "forever" but yah hopefully all on the inside.

I am not up on the DIY market these days, but we've plenty of members here who might help, and there is a lot of info over onAVS. I don't recall too many bad things about the PE amps but most folk are using bigger amps from different manufacturers. miniDSP also makes a plate amp (or did), don't know anything about it, and Monoprice might have something. Rythmik (subs I use) sells amps and kits but you'd need to replace the driver as well to use their servo amps.

HTH - Don

Timbo2

I've been very pleaseantly surprised with my Parts Express Dayton Audio SA100. I believe it is Class AB, but it runs extremely cool with the heatsinks just modestly warm. It's probably underpowered for your application, but it looks like they have higher power versions in the same series.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I've replaced a couple with those Dayton plates. No problems from people using them for movie and TV. I used the 250 watt version. I think it was 8x8 or 8x9 or something like that. ( see below it was 8.5 inches square)

I used permatex gasket compound to seal around them.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803

This uses a cutout of 8.5 x 8.5. Class G uses 1 watt in standby. The 250 watts is deceptive. It is 150 into 8 ohms and 250 into 4 ohms.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-with-dsp--300-8010

This one looks interesting. Has DSP for PEQ filters and the regular crossover functions. But I've no experience with them. A little over 9.25 x 6.25 inches on cutout size unfortunately.

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
OP
wgscott

wgscott

Sounds like something failed in the amp to do that; hard to believe they normally run that hot. I would probably just get the stock replacement and watch how I stuffed the box. I might re-iterate the whole burning the house down and see if they over a higher discount or even a free replacement amp (assuming it is out of warranty?)

41063834471_cb9b342016_o.jpg

I'm no expert, but I think the capacitor on the left had a really bad day. This was actually a warranty-replacement of a Rel sub that failed (harmlessly) a few years earlier, while still under warranty. Rel impressed me as being extremely unconcerned about keeping the customer happy.

Baking soda might help with the smell. Put a box in, and/or sprinkle some around inside, and seal it up. Or leaving it out in the sun for a while. If the smell is still there after months it may be there "forever" but yah hopefully all on the inside.

Did that (and some other stuff). I'm a chemist, fwiw.

[/QUOTE]

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might be worth contacting http://www.bkelec.com/ they used to make subs for REL I think, but probably not that vintage, they will be cheaper than REL, especially if you are in the UK.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
41063834471_cb9b342016_o.jpg

I'm no expert, but I think the capacitor on the left had a really bad day. This was actually a warranty-replacement of a Rel sub that failed (harmlessly) a few years earlier, while still under warranty. Rel impressed me as being extremely unconcerned about keeping the customer happy.

Did that (and some other stuff). I'm a chemist, fwiw.

Thank you for sharing that, plus the the other picture, the close-up one.
It goes into my audio reference book on REL subwoofer plate amps and customer's accommodation.

OP
wgscott

wgscott

Two days later, the transmission in my Toyota Emasculator minivan failed. Don't think they were connected, but you never know ...

ljubisa_05

I have a Rel R-218 sub that recently tried to set my house on fire when its amp set the internal dampening material on fire. Rel kindly offered to sell me another one with a slight discount. Instead, I decided to keep the speaker cabinet, and replace the plate amp. I gave it a few months to air out the stench (it still smells a bit toxic, but hopefully I can seal the smell up on the inside). The cabinet is 12" x 12" x 12", and the current opening at the back is 8" x 8", although I could probably widen it a bit if required.

I'd like to get a plate amp that ideally would be Class D (or similarly energy-efficient and cool-running), and that would permit me to use speaker-level input.

I looked at Parts Express: Yung SD300 300W Class D Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

With a little bit of judicious sawing, it could fit the current opening, and the price is nice, and has the features I need. However, the reviews it gets are a bit sketchy, with several folks reporting various failures (although no combustion). (The 200W version would also be ok, but it lacks speaker-level inputs.)

Are you sure that's the problem? I mean, so sure you would risk the house burning down again? What if its not just the plate amp? Do you not like your house much? So many questions... :D

wje

Forum Donor
I came across this thread because the Yung SD300 amplifier was mentioned. About a week ago, the amplifier in my RSL Speedwoofer 10S (original version), has blown up. In the process of getting the amplifier replaced - out of warranty, I was able to procure a replacement from RSL Audio. However, looking at the amplifier I removed from my subwoofer, it appears to possibly be made by Yung. The images for the board and components of the Yung SD300 match that of my RSL amplifier.

The main difference being:

1) The Yung SD300 puts out 300 watts, but the RSL amplifier has a 350 watt rating for the version 1 10s subwoofer.
2) The Yung SD300 doesn't have a switch to disable the crossover.
3) The Yung SD300 doesn't have the wireless receiver capability that the RSL amplifier does.

However, the mounting plate is the exact same dimension.

Attachments

• Yung SD300 vs RSL Speedwoofer Amp - Front.JPG
    Yung SD300 vs RSL Speedwoofer Amp - Front.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Yung SD300 vs RSL Speedwoofer Amp - Back.jpg
    Yung SD300 vs RSL Speedwoofer Amp - Back.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom