• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Inexpensive base/pole mount for height channel speakers?

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
I have a growing collection of the MDG label's 2+2+2 classical music SACDs (where the center and subwoofer channels are used as height channels). So far, I've only been able to play them as 2+2. I've never warmed to the idea of installing speaker mounting brackets in the ceiling.

After seeing ASR member Sancus's amazing thread about his system, I started wondering whether there is a less expensive base/pole mounting system of reasonable quality that secures the height speakers without using threaded bolts etc. (The height speakers I would use are not fitted for such hardware.) Thanks for your thoughts.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/genelec-5-2-4-ht-music-setup.29548/ (Sancus's thread)

https://www.audaud.com/first-special-feature-on-222-multichannel-discs/ (overview of some early MDG 2+2+2 releases)

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What an absolutely terrific post. There are plenty of speaker stands, but almost no real stands for heights and surrounds. I found these VTI height adjustable stands and use them for my surrounds which are LS 50's. They go all the way up to 59". I also use them when I'm doing PRIRs with my SMYTH Realiser to capture height and top speakers. Obviously not as capable as Sancus' solution, but does the job for my small 12 x 12 listening room. Also a bit more turnkey. Cost is around $160 for two stands. Assembly takes around 5 minutes. And they look good.

OP
amadeuswus

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
What an absolutely terrific post. There are plenty of speaker stands, but almost no real stands for heights and surrounds. I found these VTI height adjustable stands and use them for my surrounds which are LS 50's. They go all the way up to 59". I also use them when I'm doing PRIRs with my SMYTH Realiser to capture height and top speakers. Obviously not as capable as Sancus' solution, but does the job for my small 12 x 12 listening room. Also a bit more turnkey. Cost is around $160 for two stands. Assembly takes around 5 minutes. And they look good.

Thanks for your suggestion. The VTI stand looks like a great product. I only wish it could extend another 12-18". It's probably unlikely that anyone makes a speaker stand that high that can also tilt its top plate and keep the speaker secured without threaded mounting hardware?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your suggestion. The VTI stand looks like a great product. I only wish it could extend another 12-18". It's probably unlikely that anyone makes a speaker stand that high that can also tilt its top plate and keep the speaker secured without threaded mounting hardware?
If you are looking at a tripod type arrangement, and, I think thread mounting if you want to tilt the speakers. Something like this:

OP
amadeuswus

amadeuswus

Forum Donor

Having looked around a bit more for high stands that have adjustable tilt, I came across the Gravity SP 3202 VT ("Varitilt") stands. Maximum height is about 59" and maximum tilt of the top plate is 10 degrees.

You can get them from BHPhoto for $96 each. Strangely, WalMart seems to sell them for about $78 each.

Gravity SP 3202 VT VARI-TILT® Studio Monitor Speaker Stand - Walmart.com

I'd like to find something similar that goes to about 6 feet... but maybe at that height everyone switches to poles and threaded inserts.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having looked around a bit more for high stands that have adjustable tilt, I came across the Gravity SP 3202 VT ("Varitilt") stands. Maximum height is about 59" and maximum tilt of the top plate is 10 degrees.

You can get them from BHPhoto for $96 each. Strangely, WalMart seems to sell them for about $78 each.

Gravity SP 3202 VT VARI-TILT® Studio Monitor Speaker Stand - Walmart.com

I'd like to find something similar that goes to about 6 feet... but maybe at that height everyone switches to poles and threaded inserts.
About the same price as the BLE101's. Their 150 cm maximum height is about the same as the 59" of the BLE's as well. I'm a little leery about putting anything as heavy as a monitor speaker up there with that tilting speaker pad and triangular base. Seems like it could be top heavy and unstable. And you may well need more than a 10 degree tilt anyway.

Last edited:

kiwifi

Have you considered suspending the height speakers from the ceiling on wires?

Top Bottom